Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i have a 92 civic lx and i need to paint my valve cover. It is red and i am going to change the valve cover, exhaust heat sheild and my air intake blue. The car is gray metallic and options are going to blue. what is needed to paint them?

the paint on the valve cover is chipping off! must i get a steel wool on the drill and then sand it after?

can i take the valve cover off for the day without getting the dirt od shit in the valves?

i need to replace the gasket sooo its no problem. can i clean the inside of the cover and what should i use if i can?

do i have to prime it then paint it and how many coats od each do i do also can i clear coat it and how many coats?

thanks guys

·
Registered
5 Posts

Here is mine with just a couple light coats of med grey Duplicolor over a grey primer. Used a chemical stripper first, washed it off with water, then wiped with acetone. I used no clear because I was afraid it would yellow with the heat.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
frizz said:

Here is mine with just a couple light coats of med grey Duplicolor over a grey primer. Used a chemical stripper first, washed it off with water, then wiped with acetone. I used no clear because I was afraid it would yellow with the heat.

all my valve covers have been cleared, no problem.

Where to start. For stripping, remove the cover and simply spray on aircraft stripper (assuming its in a spray can) otherwise, wipe it on. Let it sit, do its thing, and then remove. Wash the surface with soapy water, rinse, and let THOUROUGHLY dry. Wipe it with wax and grease remover, then prime it. Lay your color, and if you used an enamel paint, your done, if you didnt, follow that with clear. Duplicolor wheel clear is about the best you can get in a rattle can without going to a paint shop and getting cut-in clear. Let it dry fora few hours, then reinstall. Do not use heavy coats. LIGHT coats. It depends on the saturation of color you want, especially with metallics, but 3-4 should do it. LIGHT easy coats. let them dry 15 minutes between each one. For clear, MIST the first coat, let it flash (tack up) for about 15 minutes, then lay a heavier coat. Let that dry for another 15, then follow that with a wet coat.

As for anything getting in your vavle cover, just close your hood.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
frizz said:

dude i love the color of your valve cover, very clean looking :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.