Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I look in the application books at my local autoparts stores it lists a PCV for my girls '99 EX sedan with manual tranny, 49 state emissions. But I CAN"T FIND IT, and the Haynes says there is only one in the DOHC engines??? What gives?? :confused
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,892 Posts
pcv is on the IM, it will have a vacuum hosed attached to what looks like a "L" shaped object sittin in the IM, i wouldnt even bother buying a new one, taking a couple mins with some carb cleaner will do the job more than likely
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,271 Posts
shortlid said:
When I look in the application books at my local autoparts stores it lists a PCV for my girls '99 EX sedan with manual tranny, 49 state emissions. But I CAN"T FIND IT, and the Haynes says there is only one in the DOHC engines??? What gives?? :confused
u have a sohc or a dohc?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SOHC!

All '99 EX's are SOHC 1.6 VTEC's


fsufan814 said:
pcv is on the IM, it will have a vacuum hosed attached to what looks like a "L" shaped object sittin in the IM, i wouldnt even bother buying a new one, taking a couple mins with some carb cleaner will do the job more than likely
I know it has to be some where in the Intake manifold but where. Some one told me it was just above the OILFILTER UNDER THE INTAKE MANIFOLD!!! You have got to be kidding the PCV is UNDER the Intake Manifold!! I have never seen or had a car where the PCV was hard to get to as that!! I will replace it at the next oil change thanks. How hard is it to reach from under the car while doing a oil change with the oil filter off? :bh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,271 Posts
shortlid said:
All '99 EX's are SOHC 1.6 VTEC's




I know it has to be some where in the Intake manifold but where. Some one told me it was just above the OILFILTER UNDER THE INTAKE MANIFOLD!!! You have got to be kidding the PCV is UNDER the Intake Manifold!! I have never seen or had a car where the PCV was hard to get to as that!! I will replace it at the next oil change thanks. How hard is it to reach from under the car while doing a oil change with the oil filter off? :bh
i knoe all EX have 1.6sohcvtec :rolleyes

den why did you say the DOHC has one? :rolleyes

its under the manifold avoe the oil filter its located in a black box. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,384 Posts
can you reach the oil filter from the top? doubt it. so i doubt you can reach the pcv from under the car
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PCV

I just see that the DOHC has the PCV RIGHT ON TOP OF THE VALVE COVER. Thanks for the info on where it is HIDING in the SOHC! So, I can get to the PCV and it's hose from under the hood. Can I get my big hands inbetwwen the intake runners to get to the PCV??? :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,248 Posts
your hands won't fit between those runners. I recently changed mine by coming at it from the driver's side. Just reached under the manifold... pulled... cursed... and pulled some more :) You may need to get a flat screwdriver to kind of pry it out, but be careful of damaging the rubber grommet in the breather box.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
kommon_sense said:
your hands won't fit between those runners. I recently changed mine by coming at it from the driver's side. Just reached under the manifold... pulled... cursed... and pulled some more :) You may need to get a flat screwdriver to kind of pry it out, but be careful of damaging the rubber grommet in the breather box.
You could have waited to do it when you change your oil!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,271 Posts
shortlid said:
I just see that the DOHC has the PCV RIGHT ON TOP OF THE VALVE COVER. Thanks for the info on where it is HIDING in the SOHC! So, I can get to the PCV and it's hose from under the hood. Can I get my big hands inbetwwen the intake runners to get to the PCV??? :eek:
it looks like a pain in the ass but its doable. why not jack it up and do it from the bottom. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
The PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) valve helps control pollution from your car by returning crankcase fumes to the engine's intake manifold to be
re-burned. Breather elements function similarly to air filters, filtering outside air into the PCV system. A clogged PCV valve or breather element causes heavy
engine sludging, poor engine performance and stalling.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top