Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Penske Racing opens shop 'standard'

New facility is 425,000 square feet and houses three Cup teams
The Associated Press
January 29, 2005
02:16 PM EST (19:16 GMT)

MOORESVILLE, N.C. (AP) -- Penske Racing South has opened the doors of its new race shop, showing off the enormous building that will house its Nextel Cup operation.

"We had our people scattered over several buildings not too far from here and, half the time, you couldn't find anybody you were looking for," Roger Penske said. "Now, we at least know they're going to be somewhere in the building."

It still may not be easy for Penske or anyone else to find someone in the new building.

The team is now using 300,000 of the available 425,000 square feet in the former air conditioner plant set on 104 acres in rural Mooresville, north of Charlotte. The building includes wide-open areas for each of the team's three Cup entries, including newcomer Travis Kvapil.

Overlooking the main work area is a 330-foot-long fan walk from which spectators can watch the teams work on Penske's new Dodge Chargers.

The sprawling building also includes a 120-seat auditorium, cafeteria and dozens of spacious offices.

Penske said there is enough room on the property that he is considering building a test track.

"Years ago, Rick Hendrick built the prototype of the modern race shop," said Humpy Wheeler, president of nearby Lowe's Motor Speedway. "Then Dale Earnhardt built his building that they still call the Garage Mahal. Now, Roger has built a shop that sets the standard, not just in NASCAR, but all of auto racing."

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nfscg said:
:wow now that is the shop of all shops
Yeah, one article called it the "Rog-mahal". As in Roger Penske and Taj Mahal LOL!

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nfscg said:
Ahahaha! Yeah, Rog. is the man.:nod

I guess when you can sell Fontana and Michigan you got a lot of pocket change around to do things like this. :hehe

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
You mean to tell me guys that your garages don't look like that too? A little behind the times huh?

jk. Damn that is by far the nicest shop I've ever seen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts