Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I got your attention lets see how much you know about your car.;)

Owners of the D16Y8 version (I think it's the del sol S?) can answer this question, does your car come with a Fuel tank pressure sensor (FTPS or code P0453)? I can't find a straight answer. The reason I am asking this is because I know they have a P28 OBD2 and if it doesn't have this sensor like the 96+ Ex models do then I need one for my mini me. I failed inspection because I have a 97Cx Y7 block with a 00Ex Y8 head and a P2P Ecu and the monitoring system can't finish because I did the FF-squad mod with the pot to clear the check engine light.

If this sol doesn't check for this then I would like to test the ECU to see if I can pass inspection.

Any info would be greatly appreciated and if someone can confirm that these years don't come with the FTPS then if anyone is selling this not so popular OBD2 ECU from a 96-97 manual sol then I will take it off their hands. ;)

Thanks in advance.

· Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the obd2 del sol ecu does not look for it, p28
I did a gsr swap on my girl del sol and have to run the del sol ecu to pass inspection. When I put in the p72, I get a cell for code 91 (emissions for fuel tank pressure).
You my friend f'in ROCK!!:number1.

Now the next question, am I right with the P28 OBD2 ECU being the one I need?Is there another one that doesn't look for it?

P.S. REp'd

· Olde School Ricer
8,762 Posts
You my friend f'in ROCK!!:number1.

Now the next question, am I right with the P28 OBD2 ECU being the one I need?Is there another one that doesn't look for it?

P.S. REp'd
I'm not sure about what ecu's won't look for it, but i'm sure the del sol p28 doesn't look for it. I'll get you the numbers off my ecu when I get out of work to atleast give you something to look for.

· Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure about what ecu's won't look for it, but i'm sure the del sol p28 doesn't look for it. I'll get you the numbers off my ecu when I get out of work to atleast give you something to look for.
dude, you have no clue what a help this is. as long as the original engine is the D16Y8 then I am all set.

Thanks and I really appreciate it.

· Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yep, the original engine was a d16y8, the del sol model is si
Perfect, that is what I need then...if anyone is reading this and has a 96-97 P28 OBD2 Manual ECU, drop me a line.

Thanks,.

· Registered
725 Posts
This isn't mine it from another soler

I came across this issue while converting back to odb2a from obd1 in my 97 sol si. I didnt have my oringal obd2a p28 and there are pretty rare to come across. the ones you do find are over $300. I have a d16y8 and so does a 96-98 civic ex, so why not use there ecu the p2p. there farly inexpensive an cost $50 to $100. So I did this, however I had a code come on right away. The code p0453 was for to much voltage or to little votage to fuel tank. 96-97 del sol do not have a fuel tank pressure sensor, however 96-98 civics do. thus this is the problem.

Now the way arround this

first go out to radio shack and buy
Radio Shack Part Number 271-1715. this is a 10k linear potentiometer

D10: yellow / white wire, 5v when key in the on (II)
D11: green / white wire, this is a sensor ground
D15: FTP input, you need your own wire for this

The input wire for D15 must be under 2.5v to not have the code come up. I recommend setting the potentiometer to arround 2.45v

First take the potentiometer out of the packet, there are 3 prongs on it and a long shaft for votage adjustment. The two outer prongs are going to be used for your D10 and your D11 it doesnt matter which one you use. the center one is going to be used as your D15 you will need to sodder a wire to this and stick it into the D15 slot in the wiring harness

use a voltometer to check your voltages

sorry pic came out kinda hard to read but you can see where D15

2.459 after adjustment of the potentiometer

5v from D10

· Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WOw, they are that much money for the ECU's, I was thinking about 30-$50 tops because no one can use these stock ECU's for tunning.

I appreciate all the work helping me but I did find that trick and successfully did it. What the problem is, is the monitoring checks for the state emissions can't go through with this hack for some reason. My Evap monitoring, O2 heater and another one come up as not ready and I get turned away. I do have the P2P ecu and like you said it looks for the FPS. :(

I am hunting online for the OBD2 P28 and have found two potential people one kid wanted $60 from a long time ago and another I am waiting to hear from him. My P2P I picked up for $30 or $35 and my P28 OBD1 (hopefully if I go turbo) I picked up for $40:D so to pay more then $50 to me shipped is nuts.

<<< This guy is a bargain hunter. :)

· Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
nice right up nnboy

ok, so here are the numbers, I have no clue what they mean but here they are
exactly as they appear on the ecu
37820-p28-345
1424-100189
That works, that's a P28 manual OBD2. Thanks so now I know what to look for.

· Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yes, p28 manual obd2a
Alright, now who has one..lol; seriously?

I need a 96-97 Del Sol Si P28 OBD2 from a manual car (not sure if they came Auto).........

Hit me up peeps.

· Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.