Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here it is, really, really, dumb ass question, brace yourself:
I have a d15z1 (vx engine) complete with almost the entire engine bay harness, the p07 ecu, an obd0 to obd1 conversion harness, and an mpfi fuel injector resistor box, going into 89 dx. The question is, other than wiring the resistor box, what other wiring conversions are needed? If I'm using the proper ecu, then I should not need to repin/splice any wires at that point. And the conversion harness should make the connection to the ecu a piece of cake, right? Enlighten me to why I will need to do all of these wiring changes I have seen on-line because it seems as though they all relate to converting dpfi to mpfi AND using the ecu that came with the dpfi engine/chassis.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Your final sentence about the dpfi-mpfi conversion is incorrect. The purpose of it is to run an MPFI ecu which drives an injector on each cylinder. The dpfi ecu can only run on dpfi manifold/injector/t.b. setups. All the wiring mods are necessary to add the extra injector wires and other stuff.

As to your other issues, if you are using a complete OBD1 engine w/OBD1 injectors you don't need an injector resistor box. In fact the engine won't run with it, injector ohms would be too high for the ecu.
There is going to be some level of wiring to do regardless of which harness you end up using. The VX engine harness doesn't go all the way through the firewall and if you want to use it you will have to at least get the other half that goes from the engine harness to the ecu, then figure out how to splice that into the dash harness for all the necessary wires. Conversely, if you use the dpfi harness you won't need to mess with dash wiring but have many wires to add & plugs to change on the engine side as well as needing to use the OBD0-OBD1 converter harness.

I would personally go with option 1, less expensive and because you have a VX motor it is slightly more complicated then other typical mpfi swaps, since it has 5-wire O2 sensor. So I'd try to retro-fit the VX harness into that DX.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts