Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking for a review for those of you that have them. What I really want to know. Is this thing like a spool. Does it lock the 2 axles shafts together? How is it when you make turns on the street? I dont mind getting one if it works. But not if it acts like a spool. I dont need to stress my parts and chew up my tires.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A locker is like lsd. Its always puts power to both wheels, evenly. Both axles are pretty much locked to go together. Lockers are way better that lsd IMO. But if you turn around a corner which ever wheel is going slower backs off. Just like a rachet. If you hold a ratch (tool) and turn it in the direction in which it is locked, that is like it locking the axles, no if you turn it the other way with out changing which way you want it to go. It should let you turn it (you her the ratching noise, lockers make this noise going around corners sometimes), this is like letting the inside wheel turn slower (in turns or course). A spool always locks the axles together no matter what.

Matt

·
Registered
331 Posts
all i know about this product is that it it fails on you your tranny is gone. MY boy has one on his tubro integra and the guy at the shop said that it will act like a LSD but if it goes fualty then your tranny is gonna get ripped apart and youll have =to buy another one. Positive side of this is they are built like a soilder. He has never had a problem with it so far. and his hes got a built LS turbo running high 12's on drag raduals. but hever had a problem so far.

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
I can't really help you...

But I have been hearing good things about the OBX LSD's...they look just like quaife LSD's and have a lifetime warranty

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
If you are buying the Phantom Grip at full price, consider spending the extra $130 or so to get the full torque-biasing differential from OBX. That is a REAL lsd. I have a Phantom Grip, it's hilarious what you are getting for what they charge. 2 metal plates and 4 small springs. The plus side is that you can install it yourself without all the shimming and clearancing required when changing the whole diff out, since it just fits inside the stock differential. It could easily cost a couple hundred to get the OBX properly installed for you I think.

The PG works OK, just make sure you use something other than regular Honda MTF in the trans, mine isn't gripping well anymore so I need to get something like Redline MTL that is friction modified for lsds.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool thanks for the info. I might just get the OBX. Ill see what my options are for installing it. I hate when anyone else does anything to my car. I like to do it all myself. I might have the tools aviable to me to shim. Ill find out.

Thanks,
Matt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts