Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in my 6th gen i bought PIAA XTreme about 2yrs ago, a week after buying the car. the driver's side went out so as an emergency i reinstalled the OEM Stanley's; yellow for a week. those PIAAs were still white after 2 yrs, i'm impressed. the MadCatz i had for the Maxima didn't last that long, they even melted the mounting plug after 3 months - some top quality shit, huh?. anybody try the Sylvania SilverStars, $25 each bulb? they were featured on Hi-Rev Tuners (got a friend to tape it cuz i wanted a sample show) 2 months ago on a WRX.

i heard the blue/white light helps deflect air around the nose of the car, kinda like the TireFlys help w/ rotational mass on the drive wheels when blinking. & yes, i was a riceboy for buying PIAAs at $150 a set ($75 a pair)

·
Registered
33 Posts
omg Hi Rev Tuners omg hahahh

I wouldnt take them to heart on there info.

However silverstars are the shit and give superb light output for Halogen lighting.

They are worth the cost

·
Registered
550 Posts
yeah. i don't think PIAA"s are worth the money eithe.r.

the $30 bulbs are only a little dimmer... and so much easier on the wallet..

2 sets of PIAA"s and you have yourself an HID kid :)

·
Registered
667 Posts
showgunz said:
Get 9005 version of SilverStars. You'll like the output. Do a search for the 9005 to 9006 conversion.

That's what I did with my Catz Galaxy White bulbs. These give a nice white/purple light. Cops don't have a problem with it and I see very well! Next set of bulbs for me will be HID's though.
sorry. Can you give more info about silverstars?

I tried to search, but nothing really helpful came up.

Who makes them?

thanks much guys.

·
Registered
667 Posts
headlights:rolleyes:

·
Registered
685 Posts
Oh, I didn't mean search for the SilverStars. I meant search for the 9005 to 9006 conversion.

But here's the thread detailing the conversion: http://www.superhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14474&highlight=9005+conversion.

And for the SilverStars. The posts are scattered. They're basically very good output for Halogen bulbs. A hint of blue is what I hear. And when you put the 9005 conversion (high-beam) into the 9006 (low-beam) socket, you get a very nice output. It's not as good as HID, but it'll be maybe half as good for only $50 a set.

To do the conversion, you basically take the 9005 bulb and shave the inner part of the bulb plastic to make it fit the 9006 socket. It'll probably be loose, so take the O-ring around the old 9006 (high-beam) bulb you're replacing and put that O-ring on the new 9005 bulb. Then it should fit into your 9006 socket. If not, put another O-ring. My Catz Galaxy White bulbs needed 3 O-rings to make it fit. Look at the thread I gave the link to and it'll describe in more detail what the conversion is about. Later.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well, i bought the 9006 Silverstars & man they are bright. much brighter than what the PIAAs were before, even when new. it has a tiny hint of blue to it, like HIDs but not that bright; almost. they make the PIAA Platinum hi-beams seem yellow now, haha.

i'd rather not do the 9005 trick, never know when a cop is smart enuff to ask u "to pull it out":p i still remember when folks swapped the Hi & Lo beams on 80s G-Bodies (Buick Regal/Pontiac Grand Prixs), sorta cool.

·
Registered
542 Posts
4BangingCord said:
sorry. Can you give more info about silverstars?

I tried to search, but nothing really helpful came up.

Who makes them?

thanks much guys.

Glad you like them. They are from German manufacturer OSRAM/Sylvania...so it is a quality bulb. They are also street legal (DOT approved) unlike many other blue bulbs out there, although the silverstar is hardly a blue bulb.

·
Registered
813 Posts
VTECseoul said:
i heard the blue/white light helps deflect air around the nose of the car,
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

i hope you were being sarcastic on that one.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I would get them if they were lil cheaper..

I saw them at the shucks. 9005 -9006 bulbs all gone.

50bux for bulbs...oem is ok with me right now after two set of aftermarket bulbs blown in 7month.

·
Registered
563 Posts
silverstars are pretty good....considering they're legal, cheaper than piaa's and made by a reputable company. I would definitely get em, if i was shopping for bulbs. My bro has em on his accord, and they are bright as hell when he's driving behind you.....but light output is similar to other bulbs though when viewing from inside the car.

·
Registered
685 Posts
VTECseoul said:
well, i bought the 9006 Silverstars & man they are bright. much brighter than what the PIAAs were before, even when new. it has a tiny hint of blue to it, like HIDs but not that bright; almost. they make the PIAA Platinum hi-beams seem yellow now, haha.

i'd rather not do the 9005 trick, never know when a cop is smart enuff to ask u "to pull it out":p i still remember when folks swapped the Hi & Lo beams on 80s G-Bodies (Buick Regal/Pontiac Grand Prixs), sorta cool.
What would a cop do if I put in 9005 bulbs in? There's no specific citation I know that they can write about, other than blue or misaligned bulbs (using Hi-beam in traffic for example). And did those Buick people can in trouble for switching the Hi beam bulbs in?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts