Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'Piracy is Basically Killing PC,' says Ubisoft
It's the same old song and dance at this point, but it bears reiterating, especially when it comes to EndWar, an upcoming RTS title which will come first to consoles.
by David Radd on Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Speaking to VG247, Ubisoft Shanghai creative director Michael de Plater talked about the upcoming EndWar. The strategy game will not be released on PC simultaneously with the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions, and according to de Plater, there's one primary reason for that: piracy.

"To be honest, if PC wasn't pirated to hell and back, there'd probably be a PC version coming out the same day as the other two," said de Plater. "But at the moment, if you release the PC version, essentially what you're doing is letting people have a free version that they rip off instead of a purchased version. Piracy's basically killing PC."

VG247 continued by asking if piracy was a reason to avoid the PC platform initially. "Yeah, at the time of release," he responded. "You know, the level of piracy that you get with the PC just cannibalizes the others, because people just steal that version."

Ubisoft recently sued the PC game disc manufacturer of Assassin's Creed for contributing to the game's piracy. Cliff Bleszinski recently noted that piracy was the primary reason that Gears of War 2 will not appear on PC.

·
Registered
6,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^ The disc manufacturer?:confused:eek2

Suxs to have to go after a traitorous business partner.:(
Yep, apparently an employee at the disc manufacturing company, Optical Experts Manufacturing, leaked copies of Assassin's Creed months before the titles release. There was a little blurb about it in the October issue of Game Informer. I can try to find the full story if you want?

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
like console piracy isnt an issue?? personally i havent modded my 360 or Wii but console piracy is just as big as PC piracy, al it takes is a $17 dollar chip and you can burn and play whatever you want, why is the pc being targeted?? because it cant be regulated???

·
Registered
13,249 Posts
They don't like to see their shit on torrents, so I guess not seeing it is better than the sales they lost.

I guess they save on the effort or cost/return by just focusing on consoles. Even though piracy is all up in that shit too, esp when your console can connect to pcs and the internet.

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Console pirating isn't nearly as rampant as PC piracy.

Games can sell a million copies on consoles fairly easy, that's an extremely difficult landmark to hit with PC games. I'd be willing to bet anyone here that any of the console versions of Far Cry 2 sells better than the PC version, let alone begin touching on combined numbers.

Face it, consoles are harder to pirate because of firmware updates and Xbox Live. Sure, it happens, but it's no where near as bad as the PC industry.

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts

Games can sell a million copies on consoles fairly easy, that's an extremely difficult landmark to hit with PC games. I'd be willing to bet anyone here that any of the console versions of Far Cry 2 sells better than the PC version, let alone begin touching on combined numbers.

Face it, consoles are harder to pirate because of firmware updates and Xbox Live. Sure, it happens, but it's no where near as bad as the PC industry.
never argued with you before, but as a pretty active person in watching what goes on, console piracy is JUST AS EASY, and JUST AS RAMPANT some of these people have 2 xbox 360's one so they can play live, one so they can hack n mod and play whatever, same goes for any console, sure console sales will be above PC sales, yes PC is easier to crack, but at the same time there are less PC gamers than there are console gamers which would also contribute to the sales(IE you can buy a 360 for $250 bux, and play COD4 but to have a computer that will play it costs much more)

·
Registered
6,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I'm going to side with con here. It's easier/much more common to pirate games on the PC platform than any other. It's been a growing problem for years, and at this point it's pretty bad.

And that's without even considering the sales aspect.

·
Registered
13,249 Posts
The problem hasn't gotten worse, only more visible. Back in the day it was all about IRC and warez channels with everything on FTPs.

Yea it is bad, and they can put all their effort into consoles but the problem will never go away and will always adapt, and even quicker as time goes on. Maximize the income.

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts
I'm going to side with con here. It's easier/much more common to pirate games on the PC platform than any other. It's been a growing problem for years, and at this point it's pretty bad.

And that's without even considering the sales aspect.
are you kidding?? for any system all you need is a modchip and/or some firmware and youre playing backups in no time, granted you might not be able to play online with a hacked console, but like i said alot of people have 2 consoles just for that purpose

·
Banned
1,613 Posts
the people who pirate PC games were never going to buy the game anyway so they would have never seen that revenue.

It would be like the car manufactures saying all these god damn car theives are killing the auto business.

look at how many people download movies andddd well the box office numbers are still looking pretty good!

personally steam is the solution anyway, their games are so damn cheap it would make a pirate buy the games!

-------------------holy shit old thread! :lol

·
Registered
20,101 Posts

some people might buy them, i can't think of any game i have pirated that i might buy if i couldn't get it for free.

sometimes its such a hassle to get them cracked that its not worth it

most of the stuff i do pirate is old ass titles that are hard to find at stores

·
Premium Member
6,822 Posts

some people might buy them, i can't think of any game i have pirated that i might buy if i couldn't get it for free.

sometimes its such a hassle to get them cracked that its not worth it

most of the stuff i do pirate is old ass titles that are hard to find at stores
likewise most of the games i DL are old shit, but i do BUY new games as well

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
likewise most of the games i DL are old shit, but i do BUY new games as well
x2
all the games I DL are games I would have never bought in the first place
I just wanted to give em a try
I hate it when I pay 50+ bucks for a new game and I end up not liking it
and they won't let you return a game if its been opened unless its damaged and then they make you get the same one:rolleyes

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.