Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend has a 98 EX with the D motor in it and is building up the motor, he cant do swap, anyways... What are the best pistons to put in? he is also getting a port and polish and new cams... so get back to me soon thanks..

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
If he's going all motor then Crower or Eagle high compression pistons, if he's going turbo then low compression pistons. Also crower rods would be a nice touch. A fuel system, titainium valve springs, metal head gasket, camshaft....what is he planning to do before i go on, all motor? turbo/supercharger? n2o?

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
I'd say if he's staying all motor and wants to work on a budget, forget the forged pistons, he has factory piston options for cheap high-compression as long as he doesn't later try to add turbo or nitrous.

He can actually get almost 13:1 c/r if he wanted! Other pistons can net him around 11:1 c/r, only like $100 for a set new.

Crower rods are waaaay expensive, for a D-series with low PSI or all-motor I'd use Eagles, again as they are only like $350, or he could get some 1st gen Teg rods and shotpeen them, but I don't know what that would cost total.

Cam is a good idea (not "cams"---there's only one in there!) a cam gear, with any truly powerful setup a good MSD ignition package will be nice. Port/polish is good too, & port-matching the intake components - head, manifold, t/b.

He should have his flywheel lightened too.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
LuDeSi_93 said:
My friend has a 98 EX with the D motor in it and is building up the motor, he cant do swap, anyways... What are the best pistons to put in? he is also getting a port and polish and new cams... so get back to me soon thanks..
i agree for the most part with klunkemonger...I just wanted to say that the D series motor is a SOHC motor not DOHC ;) Also tell him to upgrade the valvetrain depending on what cam he gets and to get a cam gear to tune it :)

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Yeah, I forgot about springs/retainers, but it depends on which cam he gets. I've heard the stock valvetrain is good for way up in the 7k rpm range if you get teh rev limiter removed.

So if you go all-motor with very high c/r you will need to get ecu tuned anyways so while they're in there they'll take out the speed/rev limiters.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
klungemonger said:
Yeah, I forgot about springs/retainers, but it depends on which cam he gets. I've heard the stock valvetrain is good for way up in the 7k rpm range if you get teh rev limiter removed.

So if you go all-motor with very high c/r you will need to get ecu tuned anyways so while they're in there they'll take out the speed/rev limiters.
yes the stock valvetrain is good enough for certain cams. Also what i didn't tell you lude that is if your friend runs very high compression that he will want to build his internals.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts