Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you please give me the procedure on how to install the camshaft seals?

I just need to know the step itself and if any tools are needed to install the seals.

Also, do you tighten the bearing cap holders before puting the seals on.

Thank you

· Registered
21 Posts
These proceedures are in the 98 Helms manual for B18B1.

Mac8008 said:
Would you please give me the procedure on how to install the camshaft seals?

I just need to know the step itself and if any tools are needed to install the seals.

Also, do you tighten the bearing cap holders before puting the seals on.

Thank you
Mac8008,

I didn't see your post until today. You may have had this done by now but if not, here it is. Hope this helps.

These instructions are taken from Helms'- Cylinder Head installation section:

CAUTION: Make sure that the keyways on the camshafts are facing up and No. 1 piston is at the top dead center (TDC).
Replace the rocker arms in their original positions.

6) Place the rocker arms on the pivot bolts and the valve stems.

7) Install the camshafts, then install the camshaft seals with the open side (spring) facing in.

8) Apply liquid gasket to the head mating surfaces of the No. 1 and No. 6 camshalft holders, then install them, along with No. 2,3,4, and 5.

NOTE: * "I" or "E" marks are stamped on the camshaft holders.
* Do not apply oil to the holder mating surface of camshaft seals.
* Apply liquid gasket to the shaded areas.
* The arrows marked on the camshaft holders should point to the timming belt.
* Clean and dry the cylinder head mating surfaces before applying liquid gasket.

9) Tighten the camshalt holders temporarily.
* Make sure that the rocker arms are properly positioned on the valve stems.

10) Tighten each bolt (7.2 lbf-ft) in two steps to ensure that the rockers do not bind on the valves.
NOTE: Wipe off the excess of liquid gasket from No. 1 and No. 6 camshaft holder with a shop towel.

11) Align the marks on the cylinder head plug to the cylinder head upper surface, then install the cyclinder head plug in the cylinder head to the end. (replace cyclinder head plug).

12) Install the back cover. (7.2 lbf-ft)

13) Install keys into camshaft grooves.
NOTE: To set the camshafts at TDC position for No. 1 piston, align the holes in the camshafts with theholes in No. 1 camshaft holders and insert 5.0 mm pin punches in the holes.

14) Push camshaft pulleys onto camshafts, then tighten the retaining bolts to 27 lbf-ft.

15) Install the timing belt

16)Adjust the valve clearance....... etc....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.