Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to edit this as soon as i can, but for now i'm going to post up a picture of what mild detonation looks like.

and yes, thats one of my plugs (unfortunately)

i will post more later

peace

· Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
originally posted by culmination

READING SPARK PLUGS

Q: Is there any place on the Internet where I can see pictures of spark plugs and learn how to read them?

A: I don't know of such a guide so I put one together for you, of the five popular spark plug patterns for two-stroke engines.

Heavy Carbon

This plug has heavy carbon build up. This engine had a blown crank seal on the tranny side of the crank. Tranny oil entered the crankcase and was burned in the combustion chamber. Engines like this will billow thick blue smoke out the exhaust pipe.

Wet Fouled

This plug is wet fouled. The spark plug's heat range is either too cold or the carb jetting is too rich.

Sand Glazed

This plug has a shiny appearance. The engine had a problem with air filter sealing. Sand entered through the filter and into the engine. The high combustion temperatures caused the sand to melt and form glass around the spark plug.

Melted Aluminum

This plug has tiny globs of aluminum packed around the insulator. The engine suffered a meltdown from ignition timing that was advanced too much. The heat could not transfer from the spark plug fast enough and the center of the piston melted causing the molten aluminum to collect on the plug.

Perfect Color

This is a perfect plug. The color is mocha brown so the carb jetting is optimum. The first three threads are black signifying the plug's heat range is matched to the application. There are relatively low deposits considering that this engine was run on regular pump petrol.

· Registered
403 Posts
asianpride559 said:
wats the exact name of those NGK colder plugs? im gona buy them soon and dont knoe exact name. NGKbre-7 or soething like dat
There's not a "name" for them. Basically they would be either one or two steps colder. Here's the guidlines for NGK plugs (I believe Denso is the way).

Your stock plug part number is ZFR5F-11. The "5" is your heat range. If you wanted a plug that was one step colder, you would look for ZFR6F-11.

There will be less insulator area around the electrode (the white ceramic) on a "colder" plug. This is the part that collects most of teh heat for transfer.

Hope that helps you out a bit(I didn't want to go too much in detail).

· Registered
55 Posts
can someone post pics of what plugs look like under lean conditions ? (detonation/ping)

the pic orig posted by wutangben doesn't show...

· Registered
1,041 Posts
zreuan said:
The plugs are BKR7E-11 stock # 1283
according to the NGK site, those only fit SAABs

· Registered
1,041 Posts
Addict said:
Holy back from the dead... Way to wake up an old thread. :clap
it cant be dead - its a sticky.

· Registered
2,265 Posts
Damn it - shop effing up my plugs

:mad I just got a major service done on my car in prep for my trip cross country. Well they pulled the plugs to check them and said they're fine.
What they failed to mention is that the mechanic cracked the ceramic when putting them back. :mad
the car was hesitating on occasion and I said "you know, it feels like the car is running at about 3/4...."
So I checked all the plugs and sure enough this is what #4 looked like

I tried to get the pieces out but couldn't. I just gave the cable as good a seat as I could and I 'll let them clean up their mess on monday. If they drop so much as a spec of ceramic in the cylinder they're buying me a brand new K20. (this is a b18C...I would just want to milk them for all they're worth.)

· Premium Member
23,755 Posts
scottigee said:
:mad I just got a major service done on my car in prep for my trip cross country. Well they pulled the plugs to check them and said they're fine.
What they failed to mention is that the mechanic cracked the ceramic when putting them back. :mad
the car was hesitating on occasion and I said "you know, it feels like the car is running at about 3/4...."
So I checked all the plugs and sure enough this is what #4 looked like

I tried to get the pieces out but couldn't. I just gave the cable as good a seat as I could and I 'll let them clean up their mess on monday. If they drop so much as a spec of ceramic in the cylinder they're buying me a brand new K20. (this is a b18C...I would just want to milk them for all they're worth.)
say hello to hover

· Premium Member
23,755 Posts
scottigee said:
I took my car back there this morning and they found that they had actually cracked #3 also. So they gave me all 4 brand new platinum tipped plugs :clap
what shop is it? and where are they located?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.