Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey does anyone know the 1/4 and 0-60 times for the Police Crown Vics? I was wondering what I would have to run if I wanted to out run a cop (not that I ever would...).

Thx

·
Registered
8,463 Posts
it was in some magazine a while back, Popular Mechanics, or something like that. I don't remember really, but i guess the times in the magazine were wrong, because the Crown Vic that they used was not utilizing the same Police Interceptor Engine, like the po-po. Why not just find one, and ask them.

Or, buy one, and beat them in their own car...
2000 Police Interceptor for Sale.

Oh, and here is the article, I found it. They say it themselves: The numbers are being kept classified.Not so fast after all?

Peace

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That seems like Bull Shit, I've seen these things accel from stop lights to a call, and they seemed faster than 16.xx. Maybe they're not that fast, but they are certainly faster than that. Do I smell government coverup?? J/k

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess the thing that makes them seem fast is all the classes they have to take in order to drive the cars!

·
Registered
473 Posts
iquark said:
I guess the thing that makes them seem fast is all the classes they have to take in order to drive the cars!
hell yeh...cops know how to pull off some crazy shit in there cars

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
i go to maryland international raceway (MIR), and there is an unmarked crown vic that runs most friday nights. solid 13.40 car. it's supercharged. and yes it still is being used as a patrol car. the guy was actually pretty cool.

·
Registered
481 Posts
just thought i put my 2 cents in....my dads a cop.....i have rode around in those things before....pretty damn fast and good at high speeds. acceration is pretty good too. the cops know how to all kinds of shit in those things becuz in most cases they are tought. in GA and correct if im wrong most police dept.s and sheriff depts make all the employees that are going to be driving go through an extensive driving course that is about 4 days long. u learn a lot in the classroom then you go out and perform shit like curb jumping, high speeds, brake lock-ups, spin outs, slick surface shit, cone weaving, backward cone weaving, and a lot of other hard stuff. hope this helps a litte?

·
Registered
41 Posts
As good as cops may be in maneuvering, their cars are not fast by any means.

Well, if you compare it to a 4 cylinder econobox, they may be fast, but otherwise no.

BTW, it is a piece of cake to outrun them. ;)

·
Registered
481 Posts
stormy652 said:
As good as cops may be in maneuvering, their cars are not fast by any means.

Well, if you compare it to a 4 cylinder econobox, they may be fast, but otherwise no.

BTW, it is a piece of cake to outrun them. ;)

considering you have some vette's i could see how out running them is easy...lol

·
Registered
473 Posts
stormy652 said:
You should see the video. :D
i wanna see it...post it up

·
Registered
41 Posts
Maybe after the SOL is up. Until then...I'd rather not implicate myself further.

One more thing, how can I go about getting one of those mini 8mm video camera tapes onto my computer? I knew I should have bought a digicam...

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
In short 0-60 times are about 9 seconds and 1/4 mile is indeed about high 15's to 16's

BUT,

The Police car in it's full size form has a few variant's for transmissions and gearing, MOST are geared for highway usage.

And

It really hauls Ass from a 65 MPH cruising speed to about 130MPH. They are Geared for highway speeds and Very Good pickup from a cruising speed to top speed.

Cop cars either the older Caprices or the New Ford Crown Vics are NOT that quick. Fast and quick are two completely different things.

The feel you get when driving one is the Torque and NOT the Horsepower. Most cop cars with the exception of the Camaro's and Mustangs have had less than even 225 WHP. When you combine that HP with a 3,500 to 4K pound car and all the equipment the acceleration numbers are not going to be too impressive.

The Fastest and highest HP cars were the 95-96 Chevy Caprice/Impala crusiers right before they were discontinued.

I have owned 2 Caprice ex police cruisers with many good experiences and the torque is there to smoke the rear tires very well, and for their size the car handles remarkably well and has tons of room inside and is rather intimidating to drive on the open roads when it is outfitted again.

Police cars are NOT designed to be the fastest car, or be the quickest to any given speed even.

They are designed to be able to speed the longest and outlast what they are chasing. They have tranny and oil coolers, heavy duty hoses and belts, heavy duty alternators and full throttle power cutoffs and lock out torque convertor transmissions with Over Drives geared to over 150 MPH, extra large brakes, balanced driveshafts for safer more constant highspeeds without issue.

What stops the car from achieving anything higher than 130 to 140 MPH or so is the lightbar which produces so much drag at speed. The Chevy speedos were calibrated to 1 MPH increments, the Fords to 2 MPH increments, so the Fords are less accurate. But, don't try to argue your way out of a ticket with that information.

You may be able to outrun the cruiser but, you can Never outrun the radio and not frequently outrun a helicopter.

If you intend or try to outrun a cop then you are just plain Stupid and endangering other innocent citizens lives. And you deserve more than the sentences that they hand out for such an offence.

Cop cars ain't that fast but, if you know how to drive they can be pretty effective.

A.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So greyteg, where would I see a mustang or camero cop car like you said? do they have them in cali or all states? I think cops should have a car that was only made for the police so that they would be easier to spot. I don't speed or anything, but it's always nice to slow down right to the speed limit just in case they are having a bad day.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Most departments these days have camaro or mustang pursuit cars; mostly LS1 Z28s as far as I've seen. Colorado, Florida, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Illinois are all states I've seen with pursuit cars.

Helicopters are pretty hard to outrun. You either have to run for some time at 150+

Thats what a motorcycle is for.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Damn, I'm glad I live in a kinda small town where the cops don't mind what you're doing as long as you aren't being reckless (like 45 in a 25...)

·
Registered
481 Posts
GA has all kinds of different but cop cars. in my area i think there are about 4 camaros, 2 stangs, a corvette, PT crusier, explorer, expedition, bronco thats about it i think....

·
Registered
678 Posts
my bro in law

drives a camaro for the police and he too me in a ride in tha thing and lets just say that an ordinary car wouldnt be able to outrun it even a motorcycle we got that bitch up to 200 and i told him to slow down. he was laughing at me cause i was getting scared.:( :D

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.