Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
stormy652 said:
Most departments these days have camaro or mustang pursuit cars; mostly LS1 Z28s as far as I've seen. Colorado, Florida, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Illinois are all states I've seen with pursuit cars.
Add Kansas to that. A state trooper that lives in my town has one of the camaros

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I was going to say just what greytag said as they literally are stock cars right off the line that have the light bar and all added at the factory or special shops.

I do know that the crown vics get 2.43 gears in the back instead of the normal 2.73 gears (which help on the highway)

other than that greytag hit all the points right on

the stock ford 4.6 (281ci) and the chevy 5.7 (350ci) aren't dogs by any means...they make up for the gearing and all around town by sheer torque numbers....

both average only 200hp in the cars but have around 350lb/tq...and I hate to tell you 350lb/tq vs. a turbo'd civics possible 200 lb/tq ain't gonna do shit....

also, the cop cars have special speedos from the factory gauged to 140 and I've driven a few of the older ones (dad owns an auto recycling yard) and with those 2.43 gears out back the WILL bury that needle...it'll take some time to get there...but they'll bury it none the less...

like was said before...you might have a fast car buy you can't outrun a radio and they will catch up to you....it might take a day or two but they'll catch up to you heh

-stackz

·
Registered
41 Posts
drives a camaro for the police and he too me in a ride in tha thing and lets just say that an ordinary car wouldnt be able to outrun it even a motorcycle we got that bitch up to 200 and i told him to slow down. he was laughing at me cause i was getting scared.
Either you were reading the instrumentation in Kilometers/hour, or you are a dirty liar. No stock motored Camaro Z28, police pursuit vehicle or otherwise, will hit 200mph in anywhere remotely close to stock form. What were you smoking, and can I get some of it? :rolleyes:

A sport bike of 600ccs or more is more than capable of faaaaar outrunning a Police car. It's usually a poor or underexperienced driver that allows the cops to close in and apprehend...or mop up the body parts.

The trick to outrunning the cops is to get out of their sight quickly, before they have the chance to get a good look at you/your car/your plates. If you have been tailgated for the last two miles by a State Cop and then he hits the lights, running would be a bad idea unless you have a REAL good reason (dead midget in passenger seat, etc..).

If you are well into the triple digits on the freeway and you go through a speed trap, it may be a good idea to...just keep going like you never saw him. Then get off the freeway at the 2nd exit or within 2 miles, whichever comes first. Thats my plan, at least.

Always be mindful of jurisdictional boundaries, and always check your six.

blugh

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
not only that but most police departments won't spring for W rated tires on their cars...let alone Z or ZR rated tires...

no wonder the guy was scared shitless at those speeds...I can't imagine the amount of noise and vibration that poor car was experiencing...not to mention that the borg warner 6-speed (EVEN WITH 2.42 GEARS) has been proven on circle tracks to only make it to 180mph with a .68 6th gear ratio...unless of course the car is pushing over 500hp...

and don't get me started on you people trying to say that you know guy who knows a cop who's got a supercharged Uber pursuit car cause it's not going to work...

regardless of whether they have the car or not it won't be sanctioned under state laws in the continental united states for pursuit vehicles as their department insurance normally wouldn't carry it...plus a cop drag racing or street racing and pulling someone over is still...a cop drag racing or street racing...

and I've seen judges slap both tickets, fines, and restraining orders against cops for being involved with that as it WILLING shows that the cop was initiating illegal activity and endangering pedestrians, etc...

it's all just a bunch of fucked up legislation if you ask me and I shake my head at it all sigh...

I lost my train of thought and I'm lazy so I'm stopping here and going to bed haha

-stackz

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
I believe the county or state police around my area have been sleeping around (pun intended ;) ) in a late model Mazda Protege. It's white, has factory alloy wheels, and an OEM spoiler - it basically looks stock. It can't be though, or else it wouldn't have been able to chase down the new Camaro Z28 it had pulled over . . . :eek:

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I was in a police acadamy shadow type program a few summers ago and on our last day we got to go to the police driving/training center and run them out on the open at the airport. We even got to do the slick tests. We were driving upgraded impala's and the 0-60 times were somewhere in the neighborhood of 6.5 seconds and the CV's were slower but im not sure since i didnt get to drive them nor did i ask.

·
Registered
680 Posts
There are plenty of special modded police cars on the road. There are a couple of z28's in NOVA, and anyone remember that chase where the 5.0 was being outran by a talon? Neither of those cars were stock.

·
Registered
349 Posts
in houston, there are cv's with corveete motors. ive talked to some state troopers about that.. and the z28 cops have vette motors too AND cops in houston have like Expeditions, Chevy trucks and shiet now.

·
Registered
41 Posts
in houston, there are cv's with corveete motors. ive talked to some state troopers about that..
Thats bullshit. Why would they take a Ford Sedan with a 4.6L motor, take it out, put in a 5.7L V8 SBC? Can you think of the logistics behind this swap? Why not buy a Z28 instead? Those cops are lying to you. I'd put my motor on it.

Z28s have the vette engine, they have for years now.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Bull shiet? I saw it my SELF! its the OLD SCHOOL cop cars that have them. yes i know z28's have vette motors ls1's and lt1's or whatever..

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
HToWnAccoRd said:
Bull shiet? I saw it my SELF! its the OLD SCHOOL cop cars that have them.
Are you retarded? Why would they drop a smallblock GM engine into a Ford Crown Victoria?

You just need to shut up before you make yourself look like a total ass.

·
Registered
41 Posts
HToWnAccoRd said:
Bull shiet? I saw it my SELF! its the OLD SCHOOL cop cars that have them. yes i know z28's have vette motors ls1's and lt1's or whatever..
If by "old school" you mean the B-Body Caprices that used to be in production from (91-96 I believe) and that can still be found in some departments, then you would be correct. The 9C1 (police package) Caprice and Impala SS's did have LT1 motors. However they had cast-iron cylinder heads and were rated at 260hp with 330-350tq (cant remember exact number). A bone stock car like this (no lightbar, radio, misc. equipment) can run a low to mid 15 second quarter mile. Add in all the cop stuff, and its a far bigger whale. Rugged? Yes. Fast? Hell no.

However, in your original post you said "cv" which I understood to be Crown Victoria, and I suspect you meant it as well.

I said it before and I'll say it again: Who at the Police Dept. (especially those concerned with BUDGET) would authorize the placement of a Chevy motor in a Ford sedan? That sounds like a whole lot of "lets piss money out the window!" thinking to me.

I'll believe it when I see it, and only then. After that, I'll kick the Chief of Police in the nuts for so stupidly wasting my tax dollars.

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
Here's what I know...

OK first,

I have seen loads if different types of vehicles used as Police cars or painted up and outfitted as Police cars. Most are used as political tools and or for organizations like D.A.R.E.

I remember the Connecticut State Police using ANY type of upscale car that they confiscated from any drug dealers in the early 90's. I saw a Bentley driven with a light-bar and CSP plates and a uniformed officer driving one day.

They'd outfit the cars with light-bars and radios and drive them to political events and even use them from time to time as chase cars in speed traps but, they were DEFINITELY NOT used for EVERYDAY mundane patrol ALL OF THE TIME.

They were a novelty and used to show the "Bad Guys" that the cops Win and that they would use their seized money, property and even cars to aid in Law Enforcement.

To answer the original question, I had to dig up some old books I had and some sales literature that I had stored.

The current Crown Victoria is powered by a 4.6 liter V-8 and has since the printing of my books been upgraded in several ways but, the HP and performance numbers are similar. (For the life of me I wish I saved the last Car & Driver that I had that listed the latest Crown Vic's numbers.)

At any rate, the 92 Crown Vic produced 210HP and 270 PF/TQ from a 281 CI motor. Top speed was of course Drag limited at 123MPH.

1/4 mile times were in the low 17's at just over 80MPH

TIme from 60 to 90 MPH was 11.59 sec

0-100 took 25.5 sec

with 17MPG for city and 25MPG for highway mileage

According to my friends and family that are or were cops, the Crown Vic has Never been an officers favorite. The Chevy Caprice was tougher in their words, more powerful and less prone to reliability issues that the Crown Vic was. A good example of Ford trouble was it's mid 80's Vic's and the many troubles with their electrical systems, And of course, back then and up till almost the end of the Caprice, the Crown Vic was more expensive to purchase and maintain albeit more luxurious and comfortable.

Now as a simple comparison, the Older boxy shaped Caprices 9C1's and oddly enough the style I've owned a few of;

were 212.2" long
had a wheelbase of 116"
and were a bit over 3,800 lbs BEFORE being outfitted by each municipality.

It was offered with 3 different motors:

A 2 or 4 bbl carburated motor before 88 and then the TBI'd

V-6 rated at 140WHP for the city
0-100 was 53.09 sec
Top speed was 110 mph
with 19 city and 27 hwy MPG

Then was the 305 V-8 rated at 170 HP and 225 PF TQ
0-100 MPH was 42.6 sec
Top speed was 113 mph
and decent for either city or highway use

And for the boxy Chevy the biggest motor available was the
350/5.7ltr V-8 rated at 190 hp and only took 30 seconds to get to 100 mph

and a top speed of 122 mph again, drag limited

It tested as the fastest full size Patrol car in it's last year of production in 1990.

In 1991 Chevrolet completely redesigned the Caprice into the newer "Shamu" or "M&M" shaped model. Rpoduction ended for this car in 1996 much to the chagrin of many law enforcement officers.

This new model offered only 2 motor choices, the 305 V-8 at 170hp and the 350 V-8 at 205 hp.

The 205 hp 350 would go 8.77 from 0 - 60 and and a top speed of 132 mph, The fastest of any of the full size cruisers tested for those years.

They weighed 4,000 lbs and could stop from 60 mph in 144 feet thanks to ABS and massive front discs and rear drums, and
P225/70HR15 tires.

There were many choices when ordering a Chevy Caprice Police car besides just the Police package. Following are a few standards; The speedo was digital and certified in 1mph increments with a readout from 0 to 199. Other gauges were analog (tach, oil, volts, and temp). There was an automatic Full throttle cut-off for the AC for pursuit. Everything was heavy duty for the 9C3 package; heavy duty frame and cross members, 15X7" wheels with heavy duty suspension and HD brakes. The cooling system had 2 fans, and external coolers for power steering, engine oil and tranny fluid. The alternator was rated at 140 amps output to run ANYTHING! The tranny had a low-gear block-out and lock out torque convertor. All radiator and heater hoses were silicone with worm gear clamps. The drive shaft was specially balanced to prevent high speed vibrations. Chevrolet offered by count more options for a Police car than any other manufacturer.

For 1994, with the addition of the 260 hp LT1 engine option, the Caprice Police package became the fastest full size four door police package sedan built to date. And to my knowledge no other 4 door cruiser has beat it since.

My references are my collections or sales flyers from Chevrolet and Ford for their respective Police package and fleet lineups,
"Modern Police Cars" by Robert Genat and
"Police Cars, A history" by Monty McCord.

I have several close friends and family that are current or retired Law officers and I personally owned 3 Police package vehicles. One 87 Caprice and an 89 Caprice both with 350 V-8's, the 87 was a 4bbl carb and the 89 was TBI. I also had a 92 9C3 with the NY State Police Standard Trooper package which did include the 350 V-8. I wish I had or got my hands on the 94 LT1 after I drove one but, they were very hard to come by for as cheaply as the others I owned, since they were a LOT more popular with the departments and officers and were such awesome cars. Many local departments kept the LT1 cars in service many miles past 100,000 based upon reliability, popularity and sheer strength.

Things to remember is that they were NOT sports cars and did NOT provide sports car speed or acceleration or lateral grip or performance handling.

The WERE designed to go as quickly as possible while fully loaded with light-bar, equipment and emergency gear, for the longest reliable period of time, while being Tough enough to follow the bad guys both on and Off Road and over curbs and sidewalks AND be able to provide a reasonably comfortable and safe office for the law officer to travel as efficiently as possibly in.

So fast, is relative. Yes, they were Faster and more powerful AND more reliable than your average consumer sedan. but, they couldn't chase down a Porsche or Corvette or anything... They could however PIT those cars our outlast them with ease.

And I believe that HToWnAccoRd is either just confused or just not being clear.

Other than that,,, There is NO Feasible reason to put a small block Chevy into a Ford car to make a better, faster Police interceptor. At the least, a hybrid swap like this would defeat the strength of the Police cruiser which is it's reliability and ability to outlast the car it chases.

That's what I KNOW!

A.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.