Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got done polishing my stock GS wheels and want to know if i sould seal them with anything since they are just bare shiny aluminuma ? and have any of you guys polished your own stock wheels ? and how did they turn out ? when i get my camera back i will post pics of mine

thanx

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have another question i got done polishing one of my wheels and it toke about 2 hours wat i want to know is is there an easyer way of doing this and isf any of oyu have done this wat steps did you use i dont want them to look like crome but i want them pritty shiny

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
try a good buffing wheel. right now, i'm using a compressor and a sandblaster to get mine clean (they have four coats of paint on them) and a wheel gun with a buffing wheel to get them nice and shiny, along with mother's mag polish. takes me about 2 hours per rim, and that's including paint removal.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
got any pics of your polished rims DAWG?!!?

i'm thinkin of polishin my 'lude SE rims.

·
Registered
3 Posts
my buddy used some kind of airplane clear substance, it shines and shines and never gets skuffs or scratches, i will ask him what it is next time i see him and post it up...like 90 bucks a can...

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Sounds a bit pricey to me. Mine came out great, I didn't stay with a polished look though. I tore down all the paint with a die grinder using a wire bit, and a sandblaster (and about 20lbs of sand, there were 5 coats of paint on there!). After that, I went down to Pep Boys and picked up 4 cans worth of Duplicolor Rim Paint. I went with the black stuff, and 4 cans was plenty. It dried relatively quickly (kept them in a cold basement), and coated very evenly. I'm fairly impressed. I kept the old tires on there, it made rolling the rims around while painting them possible, but you could certainly tie them up using the hub holes.
After that paint was dry, I went ahead and clearcoated them with two coats of the same stuff, Duplicolor Rim Paint, made specifically to clearcoat rims. I've had them on there for about a month now (just over 2300 miles) and they still look great, aside from a couple mishaps that I had while painting (due to having a cat wandering around the workspace... use your imagination to fill in the details). I'll see if I can post some pics up this week, but I don't have a digital camera.
Final Note: Duplicolor clear rim paint holds up great, I'd probably do 5 or 6 coats with sanding, followed by a waxing and buffing if your rims are polished.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts