Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was under the impression that polyfill in ported boxes are useless but a local bass head told me that polyfill will actually improve bass response and sound quality in a ported box. I am running a dual 12 clearwater design 3 cubic feet ported box and before i stuff my box I need some clearification. thanks in advance people

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have no clue. I was engaged in a conversation with the dude and he told to stuff it. I immediately told him it won't do any good since its a ported enclosure but I just wanted to confirm it before I try it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Polyfill will help in a ported box as well, because it helps dissipate the heat generated by woofer movement within the enclosure, which would mean you could build a slightly smaller box than specifications, and still have it work for you application

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
If you're stuffing the box with a median, how are you helping the voice coil cool if the air passage is being blocked/reduced? :confused

But to answer the questions, yes polyfill can help sometimes, but not always. Polyfill doesn't know if it's in a sealed or ported box. It functions the same regardless, but the effectiveness will depend on many other variables.

For one, many home audio system that utilizes ported enclosure have polyfill to help dampening.

Polyfill isn't only limited to sealed box :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.