• yes, it helps alot

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • no, it isnt worth the cash

Votes: 3 33.3%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
What the polyfill does is make your box 'feel' bigger to the sub. I've heard people say it will lengthen the life a sub has and stuff like that. I used it cuz it came with my box. I've seen pretty knowledgeable people go without it though. I guess it's a matter of preference.

·
Registered
471 Posts
if you just stuff 1" border line ( as in most sub manual says ), it wont do crap. but in my box, i have 4 bags jammed in, and it drasitcally changed the sound of my sub.... made it sound a bit more similar as a bigger box, but it isn't the same...

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Enticiv1 said:
Polyfill in a ported box is a bad idea. Your tuning should be off considerably. :confused:
not a bad idea at all. many high-end home audio systems use polyfill in their towers. with polyfill, you can get a smoother bass response and probably lower-extention bass.

may not work for all, but worked for me any many other people. depends on application though.

·
Registered
17,727 Posts
what the... said:
What the polyfill does is make your box 'feel' bigger to the sub. I've heard people say it will lengthen the life a sub has and stuff like that. I used it cuz it came with my box. I've seen pretty knowledgeable people go without it though. I guess it's a matter of preference.
some one explained it to me once that it makes the air tighter or some shit like that I personally dont know how it works but i can say that it has worked in my freinds set ups and we have noticed a difference

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I went and got some today. All I can say is...I wish I wouldve gotten some sooner. I did make a big difference in the quality of sound. Its tighter and deeper. Mabey it dosent work for certaint setups but then again, most setups are very different. It works well and Im pleased with it. Now I have to get rid of that annoying rattle :lol2:

·
Registered
17,727 Posts
commador said:
Well, I went and got some today. All I can say is...I wish I wouldve gotten some sooner. I did make a big difference in the quality of sound. Its tighter and deeper. Mabey it dosent work for certaint setups but then again, most setups are very different. It works well and Im pleased with it. Now I have to get rid of that annoying rattle :lol2:
lol i have a freind with an eclipse that uses polyfill as a miracle cure all on his car. he shoves it in his box and then he shoves it in places that rattle and have nothing in between them so it cant move

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
We usually don;t do it by the bag. I just place about a 1''-2'' layer inside the three sides of the box. People have asked me if they should staple it to the inside of the box. You dont have to, it doesn't really matter as long as the bare wood isn't showing. You don't want to pile that shit all the way up to the woofer basket either.

·
Registered
17,727 Posts
what the... said:
We usually don;t do it by the bag. I just place about a 1''-2'' layer inside the three sides of the box. People have asked me if they should staple it to the inside of the box. You dont have to, it doesn't really matter as long as the bare wood isn't showing. You don't want to pile that shit all the way up to the woofer basket either.
i thought you just shoved it in and hoped for the best :eek:

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
mine is filled inside....

general rule...1 lbs per cubic feet (or close to that). 1lb is a lot of polyfill to stuff in a 1 cubic box. you'll have to stuff it lightly and spread it around. don't want any clumps on one side and nothing on the other.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
i'll try to take pics of my box someday. probably later in the afternoon. as far as the polyfill touching the basket..well..it is..lol.

no harm is done. since the polyfill is in one big pieces spread all around, there is no chance that a small clump can get into the vented pole piece.

actually..i'll try to take pictures now..lol

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.