Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this started happening earlier this week. It only happens at parking lot speeds, but when I turn the steering wheel the front suspension makes some popping noises. Its not a constant popping like a bad axel. At first it was only on the driverside and now the passenger side is doing it. I looked under the car and didn't see any fresh metal, or no ripped boots. Everything looks fine. When I jack up the car and turn the wheel, the noise is gone. I can make the noise even at a stand still. I have H&R sport springs with Bilstein Sport Shocks. They have been on the car for like 5K-7K miles now.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
could you describe the noise with more detail....when it happens....what the sound is like.....try and pin point the noise...etc etc.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the noise sounds like something is tapping on hollow metal, or kinda of like something is flicking the spring. It only happens when I'm driving in parking lots and turning it to the space. It sounds like its coming from the front suspension. At first it was only the front driveside, but now its both the passenger and driverside that make the noise. It seems to happen right after another. For example if the driverside make the popping noise, a second later the passenger side would make it.

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
CaliLudeSh said:
the noise sounds like something is tapping on hollow metal, or kinda of like something is flicking the spring. It only happens when I'm driving in parking lots and turning it to the space. It sounds like its coming from the front suspension. At first it was only the front driveside, but now its both the passenger and driverside that make the noise. It seems to happen right after another. For example if the driverside make the popping noise, a second later the passenger side would make it.

so it only happens at slow speeds....and never on the highway or driving around town????

how much do you need to turn the wheel??? does it only happen at full turn?? half turn?? does the sound occur when you turn the wheel initially? or is it cranked all the way and making the noise...then you crank it all the way back to the other side and it makes the noise? Is it you turn the wheels and it makes the noise...then when you turn it back...the second it starts coming back it makes another noise???

Need more info...please be as detailed as possible.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Sounds like when the spring is sitting on the 'slope' of the shock body spring seat. When the car puts a lot of weight on it, it will push it down and make a springy noise. To fix it jack up the car and make sure your springs are not resting on the sloped area of the shock body .. if it is just twist the spring. If you have OEM springs you wont be able to twist them.

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
It could be a lot of things.

Initially I think sway bar bushings.....or the rubber rings that are between the shock mount and spring are rubbing.....or the spring is rubbing something up top...or something. I would jack the car up.....and look for marks on the spring/components all around. Check the sway bar too....because it could be binding up or something...and right when you twist the wheel back the other way...the sway bar transfers weight across to the other side of the car...and then you could hear another noise on the other side...catch my drift. but its really tough to say what it is without being there checking it out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It happens when I'm close to a full turn. It happens when I'm backing out of my drive way, or when I'm turning the wheel to park.

Today I took apart the springs and shock, and I did notice that rubber cap under the top hat had two indentions of the spring. I made sure everything went in correctly. Now the noise is no the passenger side, not as loud as before.

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
I would get a friend and tell him to drive the car slowly with the wheel turned to try and replicate the noise....get down by the wheel and find that SOB noise. Try to pinpoint it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.