Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK GUYS.... Any REAL mechanical types out there that actually WORK on thier own NSX cars???????

Here is what is going on.... The rear diff has a very loud - HARD - BANG-BANG-BANG when moving VERY slowly and in ANY type of a small turn.

This happens even if I PUSH the car with engine OFF.

So, yes, it seems the limited slip posi-traction unit is doing something WRONG.

Now, if you can tell me exactly where the rear diff is filled.. EXACTLY how to check the fluid level. Or whatever you can come up with to help..

YES, I have a Honda mechanic that has looked at it... BUT he and NO OTHER Mechaincs in his shop (one of the largest dealers within 50 miles) has any knowledge of this axle........

·
Registered
608 Posts
YES, I have a Honda mechanic that has looked at it... BUT he and NO OTHER Mechaincs in his shop (one of the largest dealers within 50 miles) has any knowledge of this axle........
of course because its made by acura. :hehe

have you made sure that the whole rear diff is firmly in place/ no bolts missing
simple but could cause the sound your hearing

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PopPop

Yes, All bolts tight... re-checked and checked again... Pulled axles to check C/V joints. All smooth....... Pop is same as dry clutches in a posi-traction rear axle...

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
Could be the clutch packs in the LSD (depending on type) are broken.
But sounds a lot like one or more of the input or output shaft bearings have gone.
Don't drive it just in case one of the bolts that hold the crown wheel on have worked loose, you need to remove the gearbox and get it checked/rebuilt. :(

One last question. . did you get the gearbox/car serviced recently?
LSD's have specific oil that needs to go in or it burns the packs out.

You will never know till it's taken apart. . .
Or just run it till it explodes :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
popopopop

The car sat for about a month.. Then there it was.. But it is not being driven. Yes, I do think it is the clutches in the diff.. But I can not see ANY WAY to check the fluid level.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
popopop

OK, I will look again for a fill screw.. That was what I looked for last time... Seems that what I was told to look for was just not there.. It has been more than a month since I have been under the NSX, so I cant be sure about what I saw... But I just remember that I did not see any fill plug at all..

Will get it up on the rack and look again REAL CLOSE

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
Transmission (inc. "Snap Ring" failure)

"What are the symptoms of failure?
The giveaway for snap ring failure is the shifter moving fore and aft in first or second on deceleration or acceleration from slow speed. This happens because when the snap ring breaks (which holds the countershaft top bearing into the case) the whole countershaft moves back and forth in the case when the direction of load / torque changes. Since first and second selector are on the countershaft, and the selector hub hooks into the selector fork which hooks into the shifters.

Most people experience a loud crunch or mechanical grinding sound as the shattered fragments of the broken snap ring grind around in the transmission.

There are no warning signs prior to failure."

I think i may of found out whats up . . :(

If it is this they know about it they claim responsibility they can sort it :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Interesting------ But keep in mind.. IF I dont even start the car, just put it in neutral, push it forward and turn the wheel just a little.... POPOPOPOPOP...With the car shuddering with each pop.....

If I start the car and shift it, the trans feels fine-- OF COURSE, I do not drive away at all.... But can feel the trans is same as always...

Last drive was about 75 miles... Put it in the garage... ... FOr a few weks, maybe months... Then bangbang or is it popopopop??

·
Registered
37,990 Posts
Transmission (inc. "Snap Ring" failure)

"What are the symptoms of failure?
The giveaway for snap ring failure is the shifter moving fore and aft in first or second on deceleration or acceleration from slow speed. This happens because when the snap ring breaks (which holds the countershaft top bearing into the case) the whole countershaft moves back and forth in the case when the direction of load / torque changes. Since first and second selector are on the countershaft, and the selector hub hooks into the selector fork which hooks into the shifters.

Most people experience a loud crunch or mechanical grinding sound as the shattered fragments of the broken snap ring grind around in the transmission.

There are no warning signs prior to failure."

I think i may of found out whats up . . :(

If it is this they know about it they claim responsibility they can sort it :D
its amazing the problems a little $3 ring can cause.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK, Back to the original request..... Where the heck EXACTLY is the drain and fill? Does the dif SHARE the trans fluid? If so, then what kind of lube... Since my local HONDA mechanics have been asked and have no clue..... WHO has worked on these, is familliar with them and KNOWS for sure what to do...???

Thanks for you support....

·
Registered
37,990 Posts
i belive it does. the NSX is a transaxle, so its essentially a FWD trans.

edit: i could be wrong that the diff shares the same fluid as the tranny. ive never gotten that deep into a trans mission.

ps: there isnt any active nsx owners here, so you wont get much help from nsx guys. but like i said, your bassically a FWD car owner, but your car is in front of the drivetrain. so everyone here should be able to help.

if not try nsxprime.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.