Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fans of Porsche's mid-engined roadster are getting the best present a sports car driver could ask for - more horsepower. Porsche is kicking off its new model year August 1 with a modest 5 hp boost for the entry-level Boxster's 2.7 liter engine, and a more satisfying 15 hp upgrade for the Boxster S. The 0-60 mph sprint now takes 6.1 seconds in the Boxster, and only 5.4 seconds for the Boxster S.

Both engines benefit from Porsche's new VarioCam Plus valve management technology, which provides variable valve timing (VarioCam) and changeover valve lift (Plus). The new valve lift changeover mechanism uses two-position bucket-type tappets on the intake valves, actuated by an electrohydraulic valve. The Boxster S engine also benefits from a bump in displacement from 3.2 to 3.4 liters.

Also added to the roadsters' option list are the upgraded Tiptronic S transmission and the 19-inch forged alloy two-tone wheels developed for the new 911 Turbo.

[Source: Porsche]

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
something truly revolutionary would be less weight...

i know - it's a sarcastic remark.
but it would seem more relevant with everything else just getting ridiculously heavy.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
theflipimage said:
something truly revolutionary would be less weight...

i know - it's a sarcastic remark.
but it would seem more relevant with everything else just getting ridiculously heavy.
Totally... does it even have much aluminum construction at all? The new Audi TT has a 69% aluminum body.

Looks like they're just using the same engine for the Boxster S as for the Cayman.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
i still think that the saying holds true, the only reason to buy a boxster is because you can't afford a 911

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
dil2502 said:
i still think that the saying holds true, the only reason to buy a boxster is because you can't afford a 911
Most people/magazines say the Boxster S is just as much fun to drive as the standard 911, if not more fun. I like the style a little better too so I don't see a problem with that....

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
White98LS said:
Most people/magazines say the Boxster S is just as much fun to drive as the standard 911, if not more fun. I like the style a little better too so I don't see a problem with that....
agreed...the 987 style is very close to the 997 model...so i don't see a problem either...

·
Registered
849 Posts
5 and 15hp.... woop-dieeee-fucking-do. can you even notice that kind of difference with so much power already? thier engine department is almost as lazy as thier styling department. they focused too much on the 911 and cayman they forgot all about the boxter.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
bojacks said:
5 and 15hp.... woop-dieeee-fucking-do. can you even notice that kind of difference with so much power already? thier engine department is almost as lazy as thier styling department. they focused too much on the 911 and cayman they forgot all about the boxter.
I think they forgot about the Cayman... that thing could have been a lot cooler looking IMO.

15hp is a small but meaningful hike, especially since it comes with more torque and more displacement, not just different tuning. It's very possible that it's cheaper for them to use the same 3.4L as in the Cayman rather than making a separate 3.2L for the Boxster that's only slightly different - Porsche has the highest profit margin of any carmaker so they know what they're doing.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
don't forget to keep in mind that getting even 5 horsepower out of a highly tuned, relatively small displacement engine is pretty hard work too...

sure, it's possible to make monster hp figures out of any engine, but to keep it streetable, economical, and smooth, not to mention EMISSIONS legal is a challenge in itself.

i don't think porsche engineers are lazy at all...
if that's the case, what about gm's engineers? that ecotech is a robust engine capable of so much, but why is it only outputting such dismal numbers for its size (without forced induction), and isn't even smooth compared to a k series honda engine?

i actually like the simplicity of the cayman...
but have you guys seen the last issue of road & track?
there was a cayman on there tuned by a prominent porsche tuner/racer and it was nicely done... rather menacing!

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
theflipimage said:
don't forget to keep in mind that getting even 5 horsepower out of a highly tuned, relatively small displacement engine is pretty hard work too...

sure, it's possible to make monster hp figures out of any engine, but to keep it streetable, economical, and smooth, not to mention EMISSIONS legal is a challenge in itself.

i don't think porsche engineers are lazy at all...
if that's the case, what about gm's engineers? that ecotech is a robust engine capable of so much, but why is it only outputting such dismal numbers for its size (without forced induction), and isn't even smooth compared to a k series honda engine?

i actually like the simplicity of the cayman...
but have you guys seen the last issue of road & track?
there was a cayman on there tuned by a prominent porsche tuner/racer and it was nicely done... rather menacing!
i can't remember it was road&track or motortrend, but they did a test that 911 vs. cayman...and the cayman came out with very little margin comparing to the 911...it almost took the crown from the 911...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.