Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to assume right away that everyone will think that I'm an idiot for offering, but I will perform a mild port and polish on your head for $150.00. Reasons people will think this is a dumb idea:

1. They think they know everythign.
2. They've never done it themselves.
3. They think they know the process I follow.
4. They don't want me to make a little extra cash for school.

Let me tell ya what I can do for you.

A port and polish job is expensive mainly because it's a very time consuming procedure. A good job can take between 10 and 12 hours and is very meticulous. The reason I'm offering my services as cheap as I am is because 1. I could use the $$ for school, and 2. I enjoy doing it.

I'll take ya through it step by step.

On a simple port and polish, I'll start by running your head through a parts cleaner to remove any relatively loose debris. I'll use plastic bristle bottle brushes to remove as much carbon build up as possible before jumping in with the die grinder. The bath is followed by a thorough cleaning of the intake ports of the head. A good cleaning is as far as I go unless I'm match porting to your intake. The reason for this is because the intake side of your head is very picky about how the air flows. Removing too much material can have adverse effects on performance. Nevertheless, a good cleaning is always in order. After cleaning/match porting, I will take to the exhaust side of the head. After cleaning the remaining carbon build-up, I will follow with a mild stone to remove harsh imperfections in the ports of the head. I only remove a slight amount of material through the process. I will follow the mild stone with a polishing stone impregnated with fine emery abrasive. It brings out a great finish in aluminum. It is followed by a 120 or finer grit flap wheel and finished with a felt polishing wheel and polishing compound. It brings out a great near mirror finish on the aluminum.

This process offers greater air and exhaust flow, and helps prevent carbon build-up in the future.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask me, I'll tell ya whatever you feel you need to know! :D

Email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
davidn71 said:
I'm going to assume right away that everyone will think that I'm an idiot for offering, but I will perform a mild port and polish on your head for $150.00. Reasons people will think this is a dumb idea:

1. They think they know everythign.
2. They've never done it themselves.
3. They think they know the process I follow.
4. They don't want me to make a little extra cash for school.

Let me tell ya what I can do for you.

A port and polish job is expensive mainly because it's a very time consuming procedure. A good job can take between 10 and 12 hours and is very meticulous. The reason I'm offering my services as cheap as I am is because 1. I could use the $$ for school, and 2. I enjoy doing it.

I'll take ya through it step by step.

On a simple port and polish, I'll start by running your head through a parts cleaner to remove any relatively loose debris. I'll use plastic bristle bottle brushes to remove as much carbon build up as possible before jumping in with the die grinder. The bath is followed by a thorough cleaning of the intake ports of the head. A good cleaning is as far as I go unless I'm match porting to your intake. The reason for this is because the intake side of your head is very picky about how the air flows. Removing too much material can have adverse effects on performance. Nevertheless, a good cleaning is always in order. After cleaning/match porting, I will take to the exhaust side of the head. After cleaning the remaining carbon build-up, I will follow with a mild stone to remove harsh imperfections in the ports of the head. I only remove a slight amount of material through the process. I will follow the mild stone with a polishing stone impregnated with fine emery abrasive. It brings out a great finish in aluminum. It is followed by a 120 or finer grit flap wheel and finished with a felt polishing wheel and polishing compound. It brings out a great near mirror finish on the aluminum.

This process offers greater air and exhaust flow, and helps prevent carbon build-up in the future.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask me, I'll tell ya whatever you feel you need to know! :D

Email me at [email protected]
Get what you pay for.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
spray004 said:
Get what you pay for.

Exactly what I was talkin about earlier. I do high quality work. I don't cut corners and I treat everyone elses shit exactly as I would have them treat mine. It's not a matter of offering a cheap crappy port and polish, it's a matter of making it affordable to anyone that wants it... Ya heard?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Transparent said:
I'll be honest. I dont know you and I havent heard anything about you. so I wouldnt trust you with my motor. but thats personal opinion. good luck, hope you make the extra cash you need
I don't expect people to send me their stuff w/out talking it over with me first. I like taking the extra time to find out exactly what my customers need done, and I will work as hard and long as it takes to fulfill my part of the deal. Again, it's not a matter of making a load of money, just tryin to stay afloat in a college town that isn't hiring..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JDM_Honda said:
Where are you from and where do you perform the p+p job?
I'm from South Dakota. I have a shop where I perform all the work on my car, including the port and polish. If you'd like to talk about having some work done, feel free to email me at [email protected] and we'll arrange a phone call from there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Take a look at this website. It's a website featuring D-series turbo info, parts, etc. I'm working in conjunction with Jon. Jon is the designer and creator of the website and we have partnered up. We offer d-series tune-up, turbo applications mostly, along with the services I provide. Feel free to take a look. The page is still under construction but will be up to par soon. Check out the "headwork" tab which will include some info on the work I do.

http://nerdboywebdesign.com/turbo-civic/turbo-civic/home.htm

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
The price sounds like a steal. What about disassembly and assembly though? We have to send you a bare head or how does it work? Wouldn't valves need to be cut according to the head for the best seal/flow?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
davidn71 said:
I'm from South Dakota. I have a shop where I perform all the work on my car, including the port and polish. If you'd like to talk about having some work done, feel free to email me at [email protected] and we'll arrange a phone call from there.
do you get alot of business in south dakota? i wouldn't think that there would be that many tuners up there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
-=Zeqs=- said:
The price sounds like a steal. What about disassembly and assembly though? We have to send you a bare head or how does it work? Wouldn't valves need to be cut according to the head for the best seal/flow?
I don't have the equipment to perform valve jobs. As far as the combustion chamber and valve seats, a good cleaning is as far as I can go. Sorry.

As far as how it works. I would preferre having you send a bare head mainly for the fact that it lightens the item and cuts cost on shipping for you. Also because of intricate workings of the valve train, I would rather not send it through shipping if at all possible, unless the valve cover was on.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
druuuu said:
do you get alot of business in south dakota? i wouldn't think that there would be that many tuners up there.
Actually, despite what most people think, per the population of the area, we have a good amount of tuners and import enthusiasts around here. In fact, both my brother and I are into the import scene. I drive a 95 civic w/ a b16 swap and a few other mods, and my bro is driving a 95 integra gsr....

The shop that I work out of, I don't advertise as a business, but I do perform work for some people I know around the area.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
hobie237 said:
is it true that many people dont polish when they port these days??? i heard, and it makes sense, that the roughness would help atomize and mix the fuel in the intake charge and cause better combustion... any word on this????
Generally on the intake side, they don't polish as much as they do on the exhaust side. So in short...shiny-mirror-like finish = bad.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Personally I wouldn't get any p&p done from anyone who didn't have a well known reputation or someone I didn't know. I wouldn't even be doing any P&P work unless I was building a race engine for that matter, in which case I would get someone who can build a good race engine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hobie237 said:
thats what i figured... the intake kinda rough to cause turbulence, but nice and smooth to get better flow on the exhaust side
That's exactly right. That's why in most cases, unless I match port intake to head, I don't do anything but clean the intake side. Again, the structure of the intake ports are very precise, and removal of the wrong amounts of material can have adverse effects...

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
davidn71 said:
That's why in most cases, unless I match port intake to head, I don't do anything but clean the intake side.
So are you saying you wouldn't really do anything but clean the head for your customer(s)?

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Really unless you're going to be building a real high performance engine that either turns a butt load of rpms or runs a lot of boost, a port job on the intake will hurt you. If you're going to do that, then a $150 would be a waste of money and scary actually (no offense bud). Any porting on the intake side would reduce velocity which would result in poor fuel atomization which would result in unequal mixtures in the combustion chamber. I have a GREAT article from a racing magazine that talks about porting heads. If I can find the electronic version, I'll post it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
spray004 said:
Really unless you're going to be building a real high performance engine that either turns a butt load of rpms or runs a lot of boost, a port job on the intake will hurt you. If you're going to do that, then a $150 would be a waste of money and scary actually (no offense bud). Any porting on the intake side would reduce velocity which would result in poor fuel atomization which would result in unequal mixtures in the combustion chamber. I have a GREAT article from a racing magazine that talks about porting heads. If I can find the electronic version, I'll post it.

You all have to go back and read my original post, because everyone's missin everything I say. In the original post, I said I remove carbon from intake side, and that's it, unless match porting is requested, then I'll match the ports on the intake and the head to a new gasket... On the EXHAUST side is where the porting happens... I open that up slightly and most importantly, bring it to a nice mirror finish.....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts