Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i thinking of getting a port and polish job on my ride. i was just wanting to know what kind of gains i would be getting. the springs and valves would definately be replaced. also what range in price are there??? any help appreciated...

· Registered
4,608 Posts
couple of things that might be relevant to the subject

people don't say port and polish any more because polishing to a mirror shine some cases reduced hp!

Porting a cylinder head means that yo grind off metal from the cylinder head's intake ports at specific places to increase air flow.

some times they do it to enlarge an opening....

the headporter also changes the angles on the valves and valve seats and resurfaces the bowl area of the combustion chamber to improve the way the air and fuel fills or enters the cylinder.

also the exhaust port is done to increase exhaust flow.. obvious huh?

So head porting increases power by making the engine breathe a little better. more air means more comubstion which in turn yields power! They improve engine breathing by increasing the amount of air travelling into and amount of exhaust leaving the cylinder. The power is also gained by not only increasing the amount of air going in but also by increasing the speed at which the air flows into the cylinder. The speed at which exhaust gases leave is also increased so you get better removal of burnt gases and more scavenging.

· Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info... but is it worth doing??? i already know what the process involves, but i just wanted to know if there will be a noticable difference if i have this done...

· Registered
176 Posts
nobody likes to claim exactly what gains you will receive after a head job. it depends on the skill of the person doing the porting, as well as what other kinds of mods you already have on your car. BUT, that said, common gains are between 15-30 hp. more if you upgrade the cam at the same time and tune your fuel and ignition curves to match.

· Registered
340 Posts
I have been quoted by other members here that prices are about 500-600 for a head job. But I could be wrong....although i do know its not cheap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.