Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
previous member said:
well the 7336 sells as a sander. but its the exact same thing as the 7424.
Yeah I thought maybe as much. Also I wasnt really too sure. So I thought I would ask what everyone gets.

Is the 7336 cheaper or something, or does lowes not carry the 7424?

·
Registered
10 Posts
i was looking around for the 7424 and the cheapest i found was on amazon for 114.95 with free shipping. i was gonna get the 7424 from autopia but they raised their price to 149.95

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah the 7336sp sells at lowes for 99 dollars right now, I was just there looking at it. Its on special I believe. Also luckily my friend works there and said I can get the employee discount.

Also the only other thing I found out was the 7336sp comes with the 6" counterweight installed. Which reduces vibration...
You can check that out here: http://64.182.14.189/_System/_AdvancedStore/ProductDetail.asp

So I have no clue why people get the 7424. Theres gotta be a reason...?

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
fullvllan said:
i was looking around for the 7424 and the cheapest i found was on amazon for 114.95 with free shipping. i was gonna get the 7424 from autopia but they raised their price to 149.95
Yeah that makes no sense to me now why the 7424 seems to be more exspensive. It seems to have less than the 7336sp. God I wish they didnt name them different things and just said. 7424 w/ polisher kit or 7424 w/ sander kit.

Makes no sense really. Well Looks like im going to just get the 7336.

·
Registered
10 Posts
cant really see any difference between the 7424 and 7336, other than pricing and model number... they even use the same manual. guess ill just get the 7336 from lowes. i have the link of the manual list below

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect-to-external-url/ref=mt_mo_view_2413/103-0340025-0501435?path=http://media-server.amazon.com/exec/drm/digital/moleproxy.cgi?name=UG9ydGVyLUNhYmxlIDczMzYgNiBWYXJpYWJsZSBTcGVlZCBSYW5kb20gT3JiaXQgTWFudWFs&file=TUFOVUFMMDAwMDAyNDkzLnBkZg==&append-uid=no

whats the difference between a polisher and a rotary?

·
Registered
864 Posts
Rotary just spins. You can get a better shine with one, at the risk of burning your paint. Only get a rotary if you're experienced or a professional.

The random orbit does just what it says, orbits randomly. It spins, but sort of on a slight axis, so it doesn't apply pressure on the same spot forever. Swirl marks are less likely to appear if you're an amateur using a random orbit.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Alright here's the skinny on the 7336 and 7424:

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/port/skinny.htm?L+coastest+hcrq7292fff92bf9+1103414899

Yes, they are basically the same base unit, but they have different "pads". With the 7336, you will have to buy polishing pads or hook-n-loop polishing pads, which will run you another $15-$20.

Coastal has the best deal on the WHOLE PACKAGE I have found:

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/port/7424_car_buffer.htm?L+coastest+hcrq7292fff92bf9+1103414840

·
Registered
178 Posts
fullvllan said:
whats the difference between a polisher and a rotary?
The movement. A straight drive rotary spins at high rpms. This high speed polishing and friction create LOTS of heat, which can burn or quickly polish through your clear or paint.

A dual action polisher creates a motion similar to hand waxing, only on a much much smaller scale. Circles may only be 1/4" in diameter, all while the pad is slowly rotating. So the pad speed is greatly reduced preventing any chance of burn paint or quickly eating through paint.

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah. The only differences are that the 7336 has that 6in counterweight and different pads. With the 7424 you still need different stuff than what comes with it.

I got myself sonus das pad kit. Should rock I hear they are really nice and it comes with a soft backing plate.

You can get the 7336sp at lowes for 79.99. Much better than the deals online.

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah mine was an x-mas present as well. It seems the clarification of things on this and another forum I went to, made for quite a few people to pick this thing up a lowes. Right on :tu. Glad I can converse with people here on it.

Where did you get your meguiars pads from? What backing plate?

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah I wonder if all backing plates are virtually the same.

Heres my Sonus Das Pad Kit

Comes with:
Sonus 5" Das Flex-Plate
Orange Pad - Cutting / Polishing Pad (harsh)
Green Pad - Polish (medium)
Blue Pad - Fine Polish / Gloss (fine)
The Sonüs DAS Buffing Bonnet
Autopia Guide to Detailing CD

Totaling $42 with coupon code "SAVEBIG"

I also got the Einszett 1Z Metallic polish , also named polish/wax on the can that I have.

Im still trying to figure out also what exsisting product I can use and what pad to use it on. I have the s100 paint cleanser and Show Car Glaze #7 that I would be interested in using it with. Just not sure what pad to use those with and if there even worth using.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts