Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok people, this is my wifes car so there a quite a few things i cant bend on. The car MUST remain automatic trans, califofnia smog legal, and with the stock motor. Fuel injection and exhaust as well as what kind of turbo and intercooler i can run are still open for discussion.

As of now im running the stock d15b2 motor that has just been fully rebuilt, including all journals and bearings micropolished and new 75.25mm cast pistons, compression is 9.1:1 and the head has been reported to increase low end torque. When the motor was dynoed the motor came out with peak torque of 124lbs/[email protected] and [email protected] my wife still says its too slow climbing hills and wants more power, i think she just wants to have the faster car of us.

im going to aim for 150hp with as much midrange as i can manage as my wife is short and her foot wont put the pedal all the way to the floor anyway

so far im thinking im going to switch to the d16a6 intake manifold and run 240cc injectors, for turbo im thinking a turbonetics T3 with 40trim compressor wheel, f1-54 turbine wheel, 2.35" inlet and A/R .48 housing, and im hoping i wont have to run larger than a 2.5" downpipe as id like to retain the 2 inch cat back system and i have to get it carb certified for smog.

One major concern is going to be the trans i think, as it dosent seem to handle the current amount of torque well, if any one has any experience with this automatic and a turbo please let me know.

·
Registered
14,616 Posts
I don't know a whole lot about boosting d-series motors, but one glaring thing that jumps off the screen at me is that a bottleneck from 2 1/2" down to 2" in the exhaust is a very bad idea.

I have read in a couple of magazines that slushboxes work well with turbochargers. I'm sure somebody here will know better than me.. Things like why that is, and maybe which trans would be better over another, etc..

Also, 150 horsepower seems like a super low power goal for a boosted car to me. I would think with all of that engine work already done, you'd be there or close. Normally bolt-ons don't net big gains, but if it isn't breathing on both sides, your engine build is all for naught. Just food for thought. I totally respect not wanting it to sound like most Hondas these days, but there are good-flowing exhausts out there that actually sound good.

Putting the pedal to the actual floor can't really be an issue, can it? I mean man, you've got to figure something out if she wants to do some spirited driving or racing. You are talking about spending a good bit of money to get around something you need to not get around if you want to use your car to its potential. Just my three cents.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
unfortunatly ive done just about everything i can do with it N/A, and keep it passing emisions tests, and idling smothly, ive tried several different cam grinds for the b2 and they all lose idle quality and dont make much more power for ther $650 cost of cam, springs and retainers.

im trying to keep it very driver friendly with a very fast spooling turbo, my wife isint one to enjoy turbo lag. i know some one who decided that they want a larger turbo so i have that small T3 to work with and it should easily make 150hp and i know it spools fast as hell cause his car is perfect for jumpng muscle cars from street light to street light. and a big pluss is that the turbo will be free.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have seen d-series automatics with JR superchargers perform well before, but I have heard nothing but bad things about Honda automatics for the most part.

·
Registered
14,616 Posts
I have seen d-series automatics with JR superchargers perform well before, but I have heard nothing but bad things about Honda automatics for the most part.
Yeah I had a DA Integra that I bought with the automatic back in like 1999, and I dropped a ton of money, including a b20 with plans to boost, into it. Needless to 'say,' (but it looks like I'ma do it anyway) it still wasn't fast or quick. I bought a 5 speed car that was down on the north shore of lake Ponchatrain (north of New Orleans) after Katrina, and learned that I will never modify a automatic Honder again.

All that 'said,' ppl say the autos are okay with boost, like i was telling you. It's not worth it to me though bc you lose beaucoup power to the wheels through the driveline. You stated that it has to stay automatic though.. I'd personally teach her to drive a standard if she wants a quick car.

·
Registered
14,616 Posts
unfortunatly ive done just about everything i can do with it N/A, and keep it passing emisions tests, and idling smothly, ive tried several different cam grinds for the b2 and they all lose idle quality and dont make much more power for ther $650 cost of cam, springs and retainers.

im trying to keep it very driver friendly with a very fast spooling turbo, my wife isint one to enjoy turbo lag. i know some one who decided that they want a larger turbo so i have that small T3 to work with and it should easily make 150hp and i know it spools fast as hell cause his car is perfect for jumpng muscle cars from street light to street light. and a big pluss is that the turbo will be free.
Maybe Derek (user name 9400rpms) can help you. He makes custom cams. It's worth a shot. I just can't see spending all of the money and doing all of the work it's going to cost/take to boost the thing for such a small power goal, when you should be able to get it without. Maybe it's just me.

You should shoot Derek a PM and see what he says:
http://www.superhonda.com/forum/members/9400rpms-109761.html

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im sure i can hit the 150 mark with just the multi point injection upgrade as i have done it a few times before, highest power ive made with the d15b2 has beed [email protected] with 137lbs/[email protected], im sure the potential power of the turbo will be much greater than the 150 mark (maybe as high as 180 with the ported head if i were willing to switch to 2.5 inch exhaust), but due to emissions tuning and sound restrictions im guessing 150 will be the reasonable number. this turbo build is still just a maybe, was just hoping for some helpful comments about the auto trans, and any one using a smaller turbo similar to this on a d15

·
Registered
32 Posts
im sure i can hit the 150 mark with just the multi point injection upgrade as i have done it a few times before, highest power ive made with the d15b2 has beed [email protected] with 137lbs/[email protected], im sure the potential power of the turbo will be much greater than the 150 mark (maybe as high as 180 with the ported head if i were willing to switch to 2.5 inch exhaust), but due to emissions tuning and sound restrictions im guessing 150 will be the reasonable number. this turbo build is still just a maybe, was just hoping for some helpful comments about the auto trans, and any one using a smaller turbo similar to this on a d15
those motors can handle abt 190whp which is prob 220hp or so, if your gooing to spend all that money just to increase 45 50 hp on a motor whats the point? you end up trying to save weight like get a lighter fly wheel, ligther wheels for her car, remore as much as you can off it then speding abt 4 5k ona turbo when your not gonna use it to its full potential, another thing is you might say you can find a cheap turboo kit but thats something you shoudlnt cheap out on. turbo are something you should do right once so you dont end up fucking everything up at the end. i say get your ECU tunned you can prbo have a good tunner get 15 20hp motr hp out of that motor.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah if i wasnt just given this whole turbo kit i wouldnt be considering it, i put this kit together about 7-8 years ago and the guy just came to me for a motor rebuild and he wants to go larger on the turbo, i am getting this setup for FREE. its a plus that i know what it makes and how the power delivery is and i know for a fact that a fresh bottom-end can go 150,000 miles with this specific setup. the crx that it was just on was making 163 whp with this setup but he dosent run a cat except for smog and he is running 2.5 inch exhaust. and the motor is a d16a6 instead of the d15b2. only parts i still need to buy are the intake manifold and motor harness for a 88-91 si.

·
Registered
32 Posts
yeah if i wasnt just given this whole turbo kit i wouldnt be considering it, i put this kit together about 7-8 years ago and the guy just came to me for a motor rebuild and he wants to go larger on the turbo, i am getting this setup for FREE. its a plus that i know what it makes and how the power delivery is and i know for a fact that a fresh bottom-end can go 150,000 miles with this specific setup. the crx that it was just on was making 163 whp with this setup but he dosent run a cat except for smog and he is running 2.5 inch exhaust. and the motor is a d16a6 instead of the d15b2. only parts i still need to buy are the intake manifold and motor harness for a 88-91 si.
good shit, now jst take the turbo you are using if its used to get checked and rebuild it jst in case. d15 and d16 are the same jst b=vtec is the different but both motors can only handle abt 200whp if you geta good tune but i wouldnt try getting that close to it thats why your buddy prob stayed down at the 160 because he didnt wanna risk it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it still has the smog tuning in efect and when it was smog tuned with 2.25 cat and 2.25 exhaust it was tuned at 165hp at the flywheel. just when he went 2.5 from the turbo back it gained a good amount of power. i think he may have put in the 12 lb wastegate spring when he uncorked the exhaust too. but i know the computer mapping is still the same, i already plugged it in and checked if it had been changed.
back when i put this together for him i took it to the smog ref and got the whole setup carbO.E. certified. all the parts have the number stamped into them. and now that i think of it i belive they included the 2.25 cat and exhaust as well so i might have to switch that stuff out to keep it smog legal as well. that would make me happy.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i bolted the turbo and intercooler up today just for shits and giggles, even with the dpfi and the stock injectors and ecu it was a huge improvent, sooooo much bottom end, it was a fun 20 minute drive before i had to put it all back so my wife could take it to work, next im going to play with it for a little bit in me car.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah i was bored, took about 6 hours including the 20 minute test drive. taking it off was the hard part. that shit was HOT! the tranny was actually better with the car bosted. i ran the 5lb spring, and it threw a lean code the second i got to 3000 rpms. it started getting some detonation at 3200, so i cruised it and was real easy on it till i got home, the power just fell flat at 3500, guessing its those tiny stock injectors and the stock mapping. think im going to just send the turbo out for new bearings and what not and maybe switch to the .63ar housing instead of the .48ar. still need to come up on a
d16a6 intake manifold and wiring harness.

·
Registered
245 Posts
yeah i was bored, took about 6 hours including the 20 minute test drive. taking it off was the hard part. that shit was HOT! the tranny was actually better with the car bosted. i ran the 5lb spring, and it threw a lean code the second i got to 3000 rpms. it started getting some detonation at 3200, so i cruised it and was real easy on it till i got home, the power just fell flat at 3500, guessing its those tiny stock injectors and the stock mapping. think im going to just send the turbo out for new bearings and what not and maybe switch to the .63ar housing instead of the .48ar. still need to come up on a
d16a6 intake manifold and wiring harness.
Lulz ;)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
usually when u boost on the stock ecu its going to throw all sorts of codes and make it run like shit, but the obd0 ecus will still let the car run ok if you drive it easy for the first couple minutes, it only start doing bad things when pushed, as soon as i got the lean code i knew it was time to take it back home. and the bad rep was an accident by apor1a, he sent me a pm saying sorry.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts