Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
29,826 Posts
usually when u boost on the stock ecu its going to throw all sorts of codes and make it run like shit, but the obd0 ecus will still let the car run ok if you drive it easy for the first couple minutes, it only start doing bad things when pushed, as soon as i got the lean code i knew it was time to take it back home. and the bad rep was an accident by apor1a, he sent me a pm saying sorry.
i fixed it and don't ever do that to your car again.

there is no "usually when you boost on a stock ecu" you at least run a base map. that is a great way to melt the lovely new pistons you just put into your engine. did you do all of this without a wideband as well?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
haha, no wideband, yes i know its a good way to melt pistons, and no i would not advise any one else to do this. i feel i have sufficient expeience as an automotive performance and drivabillity tech to anticipate the sounds of some thing going wrong and can shut the motor down before any damage occours. i have done this on several different cars, usually impatient customers pissed that they havent gotten to drive the car they just spent 12000 on. usually waiting on the fuel management system to ship. and i always am sure to make known the risks.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
speaking of ecu's. i have not yet messed with hondata, usually i sell the aem setup as ive been tuning thier fuel managment systems for race cars for a while. how do the hondatas work? are they easy to work with or a big headache? more or less adjustability than the aem? more or less base maps?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
3000 bucks better or like 500 bucks better? the reason i started using them was the tri wideband capability, plus its one ecu for any car i could possibly need it for, but if i can spend 500 instead of 3500 and still get decent results then i would be happy.

·
Registered
32 Posts
now how is this possible? lol you would have to take exhause manifold which uses a ddiferent gasket then your regular one, another thing is we all know is not good to re use gaskets and espicialy gaskets that have been in the car sense it was made lol. then how did you get the oil lines on the car? well how did you get oil to feed through your turbo? to turbo xharge a car it would take about 3 days or so no jst a few hours, you have to bolt your intercooler kit, bolt turbo on the car weld your oil pan run the oillines down, then you'll hvae todo the wiring run the vaccum lines. another thing is if you did do it which i doubt i wouldnt recommend you doing it again because that clutch is not gonna last pushing that type of power=]

·
Registered
32 Posts
i fixed it and don't ever do that to your car again.

there is no "usually when you boost on a stock ecu" you at least run a base map. that is a great way to melt the lovely new pistons you just put into your engine. did you do all of this without a wideband as well?
and i forgot to talk about this too lol please if oyu did this to your car which lol idk bro i dont think you did i think you might of been dreaming dont do this to your car again haha well to your girls car.:bash

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
first off the gasket that was being used for the pacesetter header that usually is on the car was a dead soft copper gasket with compression ring, so its perfect to use for switching back and forth to turbo. secondly if you cant run the intercooler piping and mount the intercooler in under 2 hours i pity you, how do you ever get any thing done? next off if you had read the thread is that this car is an auto dude, no clutch to burn up, and i didnt feel and shuders or slips with the limited power i was working on. and i know what vacum lines to plug off in order to make the thing run. not good but enough to see how the turbo spools.

·
Registered
14,616 Posts
People get so testy over other ppls' projects! Man I mean I was skeptical, but I have no reason not to believe you. I don't necessarily think it was a great idea, but it seems like you have a good understanding of the risks you took, how to keep them to a minimum, and most importantly, how to fix it if you'd fucked it up good.

More power to you bro. Most of all, I want to see a thread detailing the final installation, and a couple of burnout vids.:)

·
Registered
14,616 Posts

·
Premium Member
29,826 Posts

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
People get so testy over other ppls' projects! Man I mean I was skeptical, but I have no reason not to believe you. I don't necessarily think it was a great idea, but it seems like you have a good understanding of the risks you took, how to keep them to a minimum, and most importantly, how to fix it if you'd fucked it up good.

More power to you bro. Most of all, I want to see a thread detailing the final installation, and a couple of burnout vids.:)
X2.

As long as you know the risks then I guess your "fine". I was tempted to buy a small turbo and ebay intercooler and throw it on 1 of my cars just to see what happens. Im all for tuning. But jut becuae you dont tune doesnt mean instant engine failure. I know people running low boost and no tune for at least yr. Granted these people are running widebands too.

But you ran it all on 87?? Yeah you took a HUGE risk, no wideband AND on low octane. I woulnt be surprse that you probably were spiking like 18:1. Low octane + lean mixture, you probably would have blown it up if you didnt get off it. But im jut speaking from speculation.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

once i get the time to do it right i will definatly post up a new thread and pics, but not too sure about the burnout vids, i think my wife would kill me if she saw me smoking the tires we just paid 300 bucks for.

X2.

As long as you know the risks then I guess your "fine". I was tempted to buy a small turbo and ebay intercooler and throw it on 1 of my cars just to see what happens. Im all for tuning. But jut becuae you dont tune doesnt mean instant engine failure. I know people running low boost and no tune for at least yr. Granted these people are running widebands too.

But you ran it all on 87?? Yeah you took a HUGE risk, no wideband AND on low octane. I woulnt be surprse that you probably were spiking like 18:1. Low octane + lean mixture, you probably would have blown it up if you didnt get off it. But im jut speaking from speculation.
it was running on 91, that car never gets anything less in it, and i did back the timing off as far as it would go, and scince the obd0 ecu is pretty much a static timing curve with what, 5 degrees of adjustment either way that keeps the risk fairly low, just as long as you pay attention. unless you can find one of the turbonetics t3's on ebay i wouldnt waste your time, any other t3 ive used has always been a complete flop.

if you wanna hear a turbo spool up why dont you buy your self one of those turbointakes? lol
i wanted to see how this particular turbo, with this partucular turbine housing and compressor wheel, spooled on this particular motor build. the bottom end is nothing special, just micropolished main and rod journals with new cast pistons,compression is set at 9.1:1. the head is ported with a nice 3 angle valvejob.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Well it seems like your more than informed well enough to run a setup like this but 9:1 compression and you run 91 all the time? You really get that much knock on 87 or just better MPGs? Thats like a normal running engine.

Are you running cams too? I mean a few cent more isnt necessrily a big deal with gas prices, im just wondering

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Well it seems like your more than informed well enough to run a setup like this but 9:1 compression and you run 91 all the time? You really get that much knock on 87 or just better MPGs? Thats like a normal running engine.

Are you running cams too? I mean a few cent more isnt necessrily a big deal with gas prices, im just wondering
the compression dropped from 9.2:1 to 9.1:1 from the amount the 3angle valve grind dropped the valves into the seats, and the smoothing work i did to the combustion chambers. just happends to run a little better and get a bit better fuel mileage on 91, and i advance the timing to 24 deg btdc whenever its not going down to smog, even though it does make cleaner emissions when the timing is advanced they still wont pass it if its more than 20 deg btdc.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
the compression dropped from 9.2:1 to 9.1:1 from the amount the 3angle valve grind dropped the valves into the seats, and the smoothing work i did to the combustion chambers. just happends to run a little better and get a bit better fuel mileage on 91, and i advance the timing to 24 deg btdc whenever its not going down to smog, even though it does make cleaner emissions when the timing is advanced they still wont pass it if its more than 20 deg btdc.
Ah I c. But isnt pre 0b2 simply visual inspection? I might be confused though, between emisions and smog. . CA has like the strictest laws, so i can see there being two tests lol. How would they know whether your timing is advanced or not?

21 - 40 of 50 Posts