Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend and I have recently finished his B16 swap into his '98 hatch. We used a P2T ECU ('00 Civic Si) and used a '00 Si wiring harness. There was one plug that wasn't included in the Si harness that went to the ECU so we used the one that came off of his DX. We used a wiring diagram for a '00 Si and a '98 DX and changed specific wires to specific pins to coincide with the Si diagram. Everything is working great but of course the DX doesn't have a tach. So he installed an autometer tach to watch his revs. While taking it out he notices that the fuel cut off occurs at 7900 RPM. Is there something wrong with the wiring, and if so, what would cause the fuel cut off to engage early? Or does anyone else with an external tach have this problem? Thanks in advance for your help.

Eddie

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Sorry, I don't have an answer to your question, but you are one of the surprisingly rare B16 hatch swappers on the board so if you don't mind I'm going to tap your brain.
Did you put in a USDM or a JDM? Any fuel system upgrades (pump)? Weight distribution problems? Vtec engages ok? Describe the power difference - ample? dissapointing? What did you do with the O2 sensor?

As for the cutoff issue, I've never heard of that being a problem. Did you get the tach line out of the ECU (plug behind DX dash) or off the distributor? What's your idle at? See if you can get an Si tach and see if that makes a difference.

Your answers to the swap questions are gold to me!!! Please drop me some knowledge!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Is your idle set correctly?
Is your ignition timing set correctly?
Is the cam timing set correctly?
Do you know how to set them correctly?

This is more than likely where your problem is most people don't do these right and hence suffer unknowingly for years. I just "tuned" and I use that loosely since maybe "spec'ed" is a better word since all I did was make the car run right. A buddie's B20 VTEC and it now beats me as before it would hesitate an shit and do all kinds of horrible things it wasn't supposed to. Now it rips to redline like nothing. It runs like a 2 liter VTEC would if it came from Honda that way. Just make sure all your ducks are in a row before getting on the something is wrong with my engine or my ECU is bad train. Peace and good luck.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
skidtron89 said:
Is your idle set correctly?
Is your ignition timing set correctly?
Is the cam timing set correctly?
Do you know how to set them correctly?
Ignition timing is to spec, checked it with a timing light. Cam timing is still spec from factory, it was never changed. The idle is fine and yes, I know how to set them all. BTW....how would idle affect fuel cut off? I have checked and re-checked everything. I don't think anything is wrong with the ECU or the engine, just possibly the wiring, hence the question "Is there something wrong with the wiring?" Just wondering if anyone else ran into this problem before of if anyone could think of a wiring problem that would cause the fuel cut off to engage earlier than it should.

BTW...Skidtron, are you on a team in Hanford? The reason I ask is because I was born there and still have alot of family there. I go there often and just wondering if I have ever seen your car.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Red Si said:
BTW...Skidtron, are you on a team in Hanford? The reason I ask is because I was born there and still have alot of family there. I go there often and just wondering if I have ever seen your car.
Damn your the second person that knows me or might in your case. i have that 89Si in my sig it is primered black not to be confused with my boy's 92 that's primered black. That shit is funny when they get us mixed up and they won't race him cause they think it's me with the turbo or they throw mad revs on me and I hammer them they learn the difference real quick.

If everything is set properly the tach signal is probably not a good connection i.e. soldered to make sure or the spot where your tapped into isn't the best place or has degradation of the signal. Try at the ECU since that is the true signal as it comes out of the ECU to tell the dist. coil when to fire. Or maybe the tach is in accurate that's really more common than you think. Shit my stock tach says 7500 is the fuel cut for my 7200 fuel cut engine. That's normal too for stock stuff. I know yours is aftermarket but that is still a common problem. Also by not adjusting the idle properly you will limit the engine/ECU by not giving the right parameters to start with. The idle sets the pace for the entire engine to run from if it is wrong like if you adjusted it without removing the EACV sensor plug first it's set wrong.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
scottigee said:
Sorry, I don't have an answer to your question, but you are one of the surprisingly rare B16 hatch swappers on the board so if you don't mind I'm going to tap your brain.
Did you put in a USDM or a JDM? Any fuel system upgrades (pump)? Weight distribution problems? Vtec engages ok? Describe the power difference - ample? dissapointing? What did you do with the O2 sensor?

As for the cutoff issue, I've never heard of that being a problem. Did you get the tach line out of the ECU (plug behind DX dash) or off the distributor? What's your idle at? See if you can get an Si tach and see if that makes a difference.

Your answers to the swap questions are gold to me!!! Please drop me some knowledge!
The engine we put in was from a '00 Civic Si, so it is a USDM. We didn't do any fuel system upgrades, he didn't want to spend the money even though I suggested it:rolleyes:, that cheap bastard. Oh well, he is going to be getting a Jackson Racing fuel pump soon because we are going to be putting a JR supercharger on that bad boy :D as soon as I find some time away from school and work. But right now all he has is AEM CAI, DC 4-1 header, Catco cat, 2 1/4" exhaust, and stage 3 clutch. The car runs great, the power difference is like night and day. Extremely noticeable. As for weight distribution, well we never weighed the B16 or the D16, but the car handles the weight of the B series just fine. Handles just like it did with the D series. I'm not sure what O2 sensor you are talking about. The B16 has 2 of them. One is on the header (under the block) and the other is in the Cat. Both plugged into the wiring harness that we used (also from a '00 Civic Si). Hope I covered most or all of your questions. If not, please ask more, I am more than happy to help out where I can. Just PM me or you can email me at [email protected]. Talk to you later bro.

Eddie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.