Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! Today when I was driving my 98 DX 5spd it was running like a champ then when I was at a light the RPM were getting screwy. I dont have a tach so Im not sure the RPM but they would go very low..then back to normal...very low then back to normal over and over again.

Whats going on?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Air filter is clean...I'll check the valve. I'll look @ the papers for the last tune up. I just bought her. Its at about 97k miles.

EDIT: It threw a code, I'll check it in the morning.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, so the surging idle has stopped now. But when I am sitting at a traffic light the idle is VERY VERY low and if I just barely tap the gas it'll sit for a second then shut off. Do you still think I should check the valve?

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
icedveins said:
Ok, so the surging idle has stopped now. But when I am sitting at a traffic light the idle is VERY VERY low and if I just barely tap the gas it'll sit for a second then shut off. Do you still think I should check the valve?
yup.

·
Registered
11,248 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The car has been sitting sence 2004. It's been drivin every once and a while, but only in a parking lot. I opened the butterfly on the IM and there was crap all around the sides. I sprayed it with some carb cleaner and it seems to be running strong :)

EDIT: I also added some fuel additive to clean out injectors and what not.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Slipjack said:
That would do it. Congrats on figuring it out.

After a car has been sitting it's good to give it an oil change and give it a thorough inspection. I like to bring the fuel gauge to as close to E or past it as possible also.

Yeah, I got the tank down to E filled it with the cleaner and gas:)

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
mine did the same after i put in fmu. first i thought wtf. then i checked it out at work and there was a vac leak from my pcv valve line. i cranked it, re-connected line, it idled low. took line off, idled like yours. i got a new line.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts