Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

141 - 151 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
10,346 Posts
have they solved the TRIM command on SSD-raid arrays yet? if not, you can get a bit more speed using single drive, TRIM, and operating system settings.

where are you guys getting your win7 installs? OEM, retail, or "sourced" ?

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
have they solved the TRIM command on SSD-raid arrays yet? if not, you can get a bit more speed using single drive, TRIM, and operating system settings.
Incorrect. RAID-0 will always be faster than a single drive (provided all are the same make/model). Period.

where are you guys getting your win7 installs? OEM, retail, or "sourced" ?
I'm a grad student. All students in college or higher can get nearly every Microsoft product FREE. That's also where I got Server 2008 R2.

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
Incorrect. RAID-0 will always be faster than a single drive (provided all are the same make/model). Period.

I'm a grad student. All students in college or higher can get nearly every Microsoft product FREE. That's also where I got Server 2008 R2.
werd and werd.

·
Registered
10,346 Posts

I was told on overclock.net that SSD's in a raid cannot use teh TRIM command and they said that teh TRIM command maeks a huge speed difference

I dont have SSd drives so I cant really testn this

obviously raid is faster for spindle/mechanical drives,especially if they are partitioned as well

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I was told on overclock.net that SSD's in a raid cannot use teh TRIM command and they said that teh TRIM command maeks a huge speed difference

I dont have SSd drives so I cant really testn this

obviously raid is faster for spindle/mechanical drives,especially if they are partitioned as well
According to
http://windowsitpro.com/article/articleid/101966/q-what-is-the-trim-function-for-solid-state-disks-ssds-and-why-is-it-important.html said:
TRIM only improves performance when you delete files. If you are overwriting an existing file, TRIM doesn't help and you'll get the same write performance degradation as without TRIM.
Here's a review of non-TRIM vs. TRIM on the same drive, just upgraded firmware:
Intel Launches TRIM Firmware For 34nm SSDs - CrystalDiskMark v2.2n - Legit Reviews
Two out of the three programs used for testing show very little difference in using TRIM.

TRIM is great for increasing the lifespan of MLC SSD drives; Not so great for increasing performance. Also, SLC drives don't have that same lifespan problem as MLC drives.

·
Registered
20,101 Posts
finally updated this tired amd to a I5 2500k, got the ASRock Extreme4 Gen3 for a mobo, a coolermaster 212+ heatsink (this thing is massive), and 8 gb (2x4) of DDR3 1600 ram.

still rocking the 8800gt gpu for now. plan to over clock it to at least 4.0 ghz, might go for 4.5 ghz

i was getting worried that the side panel wasn't going to fix on with the heatsink :hehe

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
Lol, I should post up my new rig.

I finally moved away from my old P4 and IDE architecture!!

I got a new-sed Pentium Dual core, 2.8ghz on an intel mobo. 3 more gigs of DDR are on order. Got 2 300 GB SATA drives in a raid 0 configuration, and a new GeFroce something comming whenever I get funds (using onboard video for now)

Def. an upgrade over what I had before!!

·
Registered
12,455 Posts
i didn't know you worked at a computer shop. small local joint or a chain?

on a side note i went from 3.3ghz to 4.0ghz just playing around. hottest its gotten so far is 36c

4.5ghz should be a walk in the park
Work as a bench tech for a local IT company, 906 Technologies.

Web Design Marquette, MI / Software Dev / Computer Repair | 906 Technologies

The company's real cool to work for, and it's def. going places. We've added 10 new employees in the past year and we're still in need of more people to keep up with the growing business demand.

Right now I'm studying certs and learning what I can so I can do more field tech work and start getting into setting up servers and doing IT audits and shit.

141 - 151 of 151 Posts