Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who here has no power steering? im trying to deicde if I should take out power steering. I never drove a car with no power steering so can so tell whats it like?

· Registered
258 Posts
Just a question, where are you getting these ideas from? Unless you are turning your car into a dragster there is no need to remove the power steering. Tuners only remove parts like those cause they save weight. Also, cars that don't have power steering takes a lot of work to steer (very tight).

· Registered
45 Posts
hey...im new this is my first post but....i took out my power steering and its not so bad....took me about 15 minutes...well the first couple days it was tough but youll get use to it...u will feel your car more or control it more...maybe its just me but i felt a little more uuummmphh in mah si...power steering does take up a little power

· Registered
1,274 Posts
Power Steering = POWER

My CIVIC was faster when I didn't have power steering, it used less gas too. I put it back in, though.
If you don't believe me: when you are idling turn your wheel back and forth.....The RPM Gauge will move

· Retired *********
4,663 Posts
robthegr8 said:
Its a pain in the butt to drive everyday with it. Even with the car being light, its still a hastle.
I agree with robthegr8. I tried it on my Si and didn't like it. If you do alot of highway driving it's fine, but sucks around town or any time you are driving at low speeds.
You should try it for yourself and see if you like it. It's real easy to do, just loosen the two bolts that hold the PS pump to its bracket, loosen the wing bolt on top of the bracket to lower the pump and take tension off the belt, and then remove the belt. If you like it then you could take the pump and extra stuff out too and make the car a couple pounds lighter.

· Registered
35 Posts
Ok... I'm going to be the odd ball here. I took my power steering out about 2 months after I got may 2000 si and I just love it to death. Ya it took a little while to get use to no Power Steering but I think its well worth it. Especially if you do a lot of hard, sharp turning, you have a lot better feel of your cars grip on the road (what I mean is its a lot easier to tell if your tires are about to start sliding). Even parallel parking isn't that bad once you learn the trick to it.

Hope this helps

Peace

Oh... one more thing I've driven 45,000 miles without power steering, and I never once thought of putting it back in.

· Registered
623 Posts
removing ur power steering isnt that bad. as long as the tires filled w/ the right amount of air. i drove my car w/ lower tire pressure to get better traction, and it was a bitch. when i filled the tires back up its was much easier. as long as ur rolling, u will be fine.

also...i drive daily w/ a B20 swap w/o power steering so i think it would be easier cause an Si front end would be lighter.

· Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well im about to do a B20vtec with a supercharger. The reason im asking because my car was stolen and the take the power steering that y i asked.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.