Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do i take my power steering belt off?? and how much whp will it give me? and if ne one who has done it, is it annoying to drive without the power steering. im just wondering cuz im goin racing and wanna take my power steering off for the races and maybe keep it off. im taking a stock 99 gsr. how much power increase will there be in that car.

·
Registered
13,201 Posts
Taken directly from the sticky up top...

1) Home made or virtually FREE plan

STAGE I: Home made intake with drop in K&N style filter. COST=$50. to $75. POSSIBLE GAINS= 2-5 WHP!

STAGE II: Hand port and polish exhaust ports, POSSIBLE GAINS= 1-3WHP!

STAGE III: Advance timing, POSSIBLE GAINS= 1-3 WHP!

STAGE IV: Hollow cat, POSSIBLE GAINS= 2-5WHP!

STAGE V: Remove power Steering Belt, POSSIBLE GAINS= 1-3 WHP!

I have no idea about the ride though...

Good luck,
Jason

·
Registered
260 Posts
I think you might gain 1 or 2 ponies but IMO I don't think it's worth it for all that work for such a small gain. The pro is that you'll gain more arm strength and muscle if you drive w/o the ps enabled hehe...

·
Registered
13,201 Posts
Just found this on the search...

Etylorcen said:
If you plan on doing street/track car dont do it. Its going to be such a pain to drive on the streets. It doesnt help out that much more. Just for those who are looking for the slightest edge.
Jason

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
Just as stated above, you may gain 1-3 WHP but, you won't feel 1-3 WHP and unless you are a hardcore track racer you have no need to do this...

Track racers do this for weight savings and better feel BUT, remember that their car starts one time and then never stops till the finish. WE start and stop all day and take much tighter turns at much slower speeds than any race car.

For daily stuff and around town the Effort needed to drive at slow speeds far outweighs the possible gains.

As a good friend of mine who is a Pro level Autocross driver says: "F*ck that, the effort just ain't worth it..."

BTW even though the Power steering belt is Not connected for the REALTIME ITR cars, they still run the system full of fluid just to make weight, It actually balances the car with weight distribution AND if they ever needed to run the Powersteering then it is readily available.

Removing the belt is one thing,,, Try it to see if you can handle the extra effort all the time. Removing the WHOLE power steering is somethng completely different.

Good luck,

A.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.