Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my engine bay is looking pretty shitty lately. ive been reading online about powerwashing engine bays. just a few questions:'

-do i have to wait for the engine to cool before p/w it?
-what things do i have to cover up besides the battery, intake, and distrubutor?
-can i just start the car up after im done or do i have to wait?

*reasons for questions 1 and 3: im gonna be doing this at the local car wash, as i dont have a powerwasher.

·
Registered
40 Posts
i am not familiar with pw but you should also cover the fuse box, alternator, and any other electrical stuff up.

you can also try spraying with simple green.

i'm afraid of getting water in there so i just use simple green. no water sprayer or hose either. it just takes a longer time and more dedication.

·
Registered
41,903 Posts
definitely soak it with simple green and let it sit for like 15 minutes. I did it recently and it cleaned up SOOOO nice. i didnt cover anything myself, just was careful around the alt and dizzy, but it would be best to cover it.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Simple Green is not good for aluminum and it can cause black plastic to fade.
D16EX said:
i am not familiar with pw but you should also cover the fuse box, alternator, and any other electrical stuff up.

you can also try spraying with simple green.

i'm afraid of getting water in there so i just use simple green. no water sprayer or hose either. it just takes a longer time and more dedication.
Even concentrated Simple green is mostly water.

·
Registered
40 Posts
flyingtoaster said:
Simple Green is not good for aluminum and it can cause black plastic to fade.

Even concentrated Simple green is mostly water.
i did not put it on any black plastic but i did use it on my hood and other places under the hood to get rid of the grease stains without rinsing. is that not good?

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
D16EX said:
i did not put it on any black plastic but i did use it on my hood and other places under the hood to get rid of the grease stains without rinsing. is that not good?
You should always rinse it off. Like I said, it's mostly water so you aren't going to do any more damage by rinsing with more water.

·
Registered
908 Posts
When I did it last month I let the car sit for three hours to let it cool. With plastic grocery bags I covered the alternator, distributor, battery, fuse box, and a couple wire plugs for good measure. I presoaked the entire engine bay with hose water.

After five minutes of water soaking I sprayed with concentrated Simple Green straight from the bottle, without dilluting it with water. I used a medium sized brush (about 6"x2" with tough bristles) and an old toothbrush to get at the more obscure or heavily dirty areas. I let that sit for ten minutes and sprayed it off with a hose.

It came out looking brand new, and for only about $4.

Just remember to uncover the electric components carefully. There may be small pools of water on the bags that could spill on them. And don't start the engine until it is mostly dry or it leaves little white steam spots everywhere and you risk cracking important metal parts like the exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
210 Posts
make sure your cars running and the engine is hot. then spray the engine/tire cleaner really good on the engine, after then just simply rinse should come out great. let car run for 10 min then your good to drive. i never covered anything when i did it but if you have a cone intake i would take i t off or cover it.

·
Registered
882 Posts
ya my friend washes his engine bay all the time... doesnt cover anything up, just drives in a lower gear to get the engine hot... so basicly its 35 through town he goes in 2nd, so the engine bay is fairly hot, and then just sprays alllll over the place, while the engine is still running. that way the water evaporates quickly and doesnt rust....

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok so i just gotta get the engine warmed up, cover the electronics, and spray simple green and water to my hearts content? so i dont have to let the water completely dry off then? thanks again fewls.

·
Registered
401 Posts

Simply put - USE A DEGREASER! I agree with everyone else here on the getting the engine/compartment HOT. Hot grease comes off easier. Get a can of engine degreaser and spray everything - except the exhaust manifold with it while the engine is running. Cover your conical filter or shut the car off before you start spraying the water on the engine. High pressure with SOAP and then rinse with water. Get the firewall and the engine Try to get into the nooks and crannies. Everything under the hood has to be water resistant if not water proof from the factory. When you drive through the rain/snow the same thing happens to everything under the hood - it gets soaked and dirty - otherwise we wouldn't need to clean the engine bay.

·
Registered
908 Posts
White Pride SI said:
Spraying cold water on a hot manifold could crack it.
Exactly what I was saying a few posts up. I wouldn't take the risk just to make it a little easier to clean. It still comes out very clean with a cold engine as well, and you run less of a risk of cracking stuff.

I know I'm comparing glass to steel here, but, a coffee pot can crack if it changes temperatures too rapidly. It would be different with steel, but a coffee pot is only 140 degrees at best and tap water is usually warmer than hose water.

I've seen an exhaust manifold crack from washing a hot engine. It usually happens around the mounting holes and it starts leaking. A friend of mine got a brand new DC Sports header from washing his stock manifold while hot. Believe me, he wasn't prepared to spend the money on that yet but a year later he finally thinks it was a good thing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.