Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i have a friend that is a girl adn she wants 2 know if she can put 17's her 97 teg 4dr with a 2 1/4 drop and not get any rub on fenders or bumper

or
what is the lowest u can go on 17's without rubbing

· Registered
310 Posts
She should be alright, I have a 1.75 inch drop and no rubbing, you will need a camber kit!

· Registered
1,017 Posts
I think it will be really close. I have 17's on my 94 teg and with a 1.5 rear drop there was about 1 finger width wheel gap.

· Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i dont think i will need a camber kit. because my dad's 4dr gs-r with a 2 1/4 drop sitting on 16's with low profile tires, his tires do not camber

· Registered
1,017 Posts
How fast does he wear through his tires. I had a 1.5 front 1.7 back and I wore through the inside of my tires much faster than the outside. The camber on my car wasn't off much but it was off enough to affect the tire wear. Plus if you buy a camber kit it will pay for itself in the amount you save on tires. With a camber kit your tires will last longer.

· Registered
643 Posts
When you lower you get neg camber and possitive toe. Even if the camber isn't that bad the toe is still in. Then, it dogs and wears the tires harder. Every time I screwed with my alignment after lowering it, it handled horrible. I'd rather just burn up tires quicker and have it handle. There isn't anyone in my area who can align a lowered car worth $h!T.

· Registered
324 Posts
I think her drop (2 1/2) + 17s will rub when she hard corners or when she has more than 2 ppl in the car. Her rear may not rub but I am pretty sure her front tires will rub and I think she will need a camber kit, at least for the front.

· Registered
643 Posts
A camber kit would make it rub worse. I have 17's on my civic and it doesn't rub at all. I dont think it would rub... You might have to take out part of the inner fender (plastic). Does she have the springs already ?? If she doesn't have them already tell her to get ground control...then she can adjust it to where it needs to be.

· Registered
111 Posts
It will rub when the wheel is turned all the way most likely.
and running any drop over an inch w/o a camber kit is stupid. the kit costs about $50 a wheel... you don't correct your camber to make the tires perpendicular to the ground. you have to tune it to the least tire wear with the most clearance and handling. if you don't know what you are doing, then of course you are going to have shitty tire wear and shitty handling.

· Registered
643 Posts
Dr Drew said:
There isn't anyone in my area who can align a lowered car worth $h!T.
So you do your own alignments ?? Must be nice to have an alignment machine...

Why don't ya bring your car up to PA Jacka$$ ??

I wanna race ya...

· Registered
1,017 Posts
integralsWFO said:
I have 18" Giovani Kuji's and they dont rub with a 2" drop
The overall diameter should be the same so it shouldn't matter whether they are 17's or 18's.

A 2 inch drop should be able to clear the tires but any more then that and you might be in trouble.

· Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
deMad10 said:
How fast does he wear through his tires. I had a 1.5 front 1.7 back and I wore through the inside of my tires much faster than the outside. The camber on my car wasn't off much but it was off enough to affect the tire wear. Plus if you buy a camber kit it will pay for itself in the amount you save on tires. With a camber kit your tires will last longer.
my dad hasnt changed his tires n about a year now
it doesnt wear at all

· Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well hmmmm, with a 2 1/4 drop she will rub on sharp turns? am i right
the camber kit well i dont know if shell need 1 because my dad doesnt have 1 at all

well i might just do this. once she gets the rims ill put them on my dads car 2 c if it rubs. because he has a 2 1/4 drop already.

· Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
it cambers like a little bit like barley
and i dont know y ppl dont believe me when im telling the truth. i look at his tires like once every 2 months 2 c if they wear. surprisingly they dont.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.