Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any pre-dental or dental students here? Just had a couple of question regarding the DAT. How tough? Subjects covered? Length of preparation on your side? Good study/preparation aids?

I’m also set to take organic chem this fall, and am regretting it. How tough was this bitch?

Thanks. Feel free to post as much of your DAT or dental school experiences as possible.

·
Registered
660 Posts
DAT covers bio, chem, math, reading, which are called "academic" in general and the special section just for dental school called "perception ability test" aka PAT

bio covers basic to intermediate bio stuff including biochemistry and chemistry covers both inorganic AND organic chemistry. so you must take organic chemistry in the fall and do well in it ;)

just give yourself a lot of time ahead and start studying for it.

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BPMagna said:
DAT covers bio, chem, math, reading, which are called "academic" in general and the special section just for dental school called "perception ability test" aka PAT

bio covers basic to intermediate bio stuff including biochemistry and chemistry covers both inorganic AND organic chemistry. so you must take organic chemistry in the fall and do well in it ;)

just give yourself a lot of time ahead and start studying for it.
Thanks. I've got a year or so, and so i'm hoping that'll be enough.

Any good prep software/books you'd recommend?

How tough was organic chem? I hate chem, and so this class is making me nervous.

·
Registered
660 Posts
5.0 said:
Thanks. I've got a year or so, and so i'm hoping that'll be enough.
Any good prep software/books you'd recommend?
How tough was organic chem? I hate chem, and so this class is making me nervous.
all the prep books are about the same. the key is your practicing the problems and getting familiar with the DAT format/problems.

organic chem is kinda different from inorganic chem (aka general chem).. there's a lot of things to memorize and understand e.g. acid-base reaction mechanism, chirality, substitution mechanism.

there's barely any calculation in organic chem. well up until now at least (i'm also taking o. chem right now)

it's all memorization and understanding the concept. again, key here is practice

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
the dat isn't bad, not as hard as the mcat.

organic chem is hard, but do-able. learn to love it. as bp magna said, the key to organic is practice, practice, practice... seeing things over and over again and being able to recognize them.

the key for most tests that are required for post-graduate studies is learning the subjects well the 1st time. you don't want to struggle, fail the classes, and not know what the hell is going on because it's the subject matter for the test.

dental school is similar to medical school in the sense that you'll work hard, learn a lot, and learn to hate it while learning to love it.

2 of my best friends graduated from dental school in may... one's in oral surgery residency now, and the other is at a 1 year general practice residency.

i'm in med school, graduate in may :(

long story short, study hard in undergrad so that you won't know what the hell's going on for the dat. princeton and kaplan should have books and/or courses for the dat.

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BPMagna said:
all the prep books are about the same. the key is your practicing the problems and getting familiar with the DAT format/problems.

organic chem is kinda different from inorganic chem (aka general chem).. there's a lot of things to memorize and understand e.g. acid-base reaction mechanism, chirality, substitution mechanism.

there's barely any calculation in organic chem. well up until now at least (i'm also taking o. chem right now)

it's all memorization and understanding the concept. again, key here is practice
Calculations are what i hated most about gen. chem, and so that's a breather for me. I'm good at memorizing stuff, and can work on the understanding part, and so i hope i pass the class with a B or A. Right now, that is the only class that worries me (never gotten a C).

Speaking of grades, is dental school anywhere near as competitive/hard to get into as Med school? I'm almost afraid that my 3.33 isn't good enough. Typical dental school student is probably a real booky with a 3.5+average.

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
uncle_el said:
the dat isn't bad, not as hard as the mcat.
Good to hear. From what i've heard, mcat's a bitch.

uncle_el said:
the key for most tests that are required for post-graduate studies is learning the subjects well the 1st time. you don't want to struggle, fail the classes, and not know what the hell is going on because it's the subject matter for the test.
I'm good at learning stuff, and then forgetting/dumping it out of my memory once the semester ends. Guess i better hang on to some of my old books/notes, and review the material.

uncle_el said:
dental school is similar to medical school in the sense that you'll work hard, learn a lot, and learn to hate it while learning to love it.
I could only imagine. I'm going to have to really bust my balls. Thus far in my undergraduate studies, i've only been giving it 80% effort wise. I know i'll have to give it 100%.

uncle_el said:
long story short, study hard in undergrad so that you won't know what the hell's going on for the dat. princeton and kaplan should have books and/or courses for the dat.
Won't know?? You suggesting i go in clueless? Lol, i know what you meant though.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
doh... i was tired :(. currently studying for usmle step 2 ck.

as far as success in dental school, you have to bust your ass because that's what the professors expect, and there's tons of work (if you're not making a model of a tooth, then you should be studying, eating, or sleeping, lol).

get the right study habits now, so that dental school's not a big shock.

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
uncle_el said:
doh... i was tired :(. currently studying for usmle step 2 ck.

as far as success in dental school, you have to bust your ass because that's what the professors expect, and there's tons of work (if you're not making a model of a tooth, then you should be studying, eating, or sleeping, lol).

get the right study habits now, so that dental school's not a big shock.
Oh trust me, i'm trying to change my study habits. School's a month away, and I'm already hitting my anatomy/physiology book in hopes of getting a good head start, lol.

I have this horrible habit of procrastinating. This is one bad habit that isn't going to be easy to drop.

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
kevlar???
he's an ex student now dentist...he'll noes :tu

1 - 16 of 16 Posts