Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Good question, I just did a search on it and nothing really comes up.
I tried a few other sites and only came up with bits and pieces of info. Most point out to LEDs for replacement, But nothing pacific on what LEDs to get so on.
Anyone on the forums have Brighten and Gotten a more blood red look out of the cluster gauge, i too would like to know how and if any how-to's was wrote up.
Thanks Everyone.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have been looking around for info. on this topic for a while now, too.
Snackpacks has posted some info here if you want to have a look for it. Pretty helpful with regard to switchgear lighting etc. I have come to the conclusion that if you want to do your cluster, the easiest route is to get the bulbs out, take them to a place that sells these things, then replace them using some film (like they use in stage lighting, called gel I think) or spray the bulbs with paint before replacing. I'm currently half way through my interior replacing everything I can find with super-bright blue LED's. This not only requires a lot of patience and a steady hand, but some knowlege of electronics too, as LED's require a current limiting resistor to be connected in order for them no to burn out every 5 minutes (680 Ohm works well). If you have any other questions lemme know, as I am quite keen to see the oucome of a finished project like this and if we can share our knowlege between us it can only help...Good luck guys...

·
Registered
333 Posts
Br0ken said:
Found this on eBay, But for 15usd for 2 and we need 5 in the Dash Cluster is a bit retarded.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=0&item=7958069453&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
LED socketed replacement Bulbs.
Please don't waste your money! This is exactly what I'm talking about. Go to Radio Shack, or wherever you can get SUPER BRIGHT LED's in the states, and buy yourself as many 680 Ohm resistors as you buy LED's. Modify your existing fittings with the resistor in series with the LED to the power source. It's exactly what these guys are doing (and charging you a mint for)...

·
Registered
5 Posts
my question is if you're gonna use LEDs, how do you keep them in place and in contact with the circuit? electrical tape? solder?

·
Registered
111 Posts
deff solder with heat shrinks, electrical tape is for nuebies.. doesnt hold shit. but u can just buy the ones that screw in without the hassle of soldering. i posted the links... u're lookinh for bulb #74 (the more expensive one) the one that screws right in

·
Registered
15 Posts
Good deal.. Only thing is, i can only locate on that site is t1.5 led/socket and on the back of the cluster of the Prelude the main 5 are labeled on the ribbon is t6.5.
thinking the socket is gonna be to small for it. Any ideas?

·
Registered
111 Posts
for 1.79 its worht a try, if i doesnt work, i'm almost sure it will work for the ignition ring where you put the key in... the circle that lights up green... it should fit there if anything. and u should be able to take the LED out, i think i have one of those in blue, and mine came out.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Take out the stock bulbs and SOLDER in the LED's observing polarity (long lead is the Anode (+)). Put the resistor in series with one of the leads. Its a fiddle, but with care you'll get it right.

·
Registered
17,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Br0ken said:
Good question, I just did a search on it and nothing really comes up.
I tried a few other sites and only came up with bits and pieces of info. Most point out to LEDs for replacement, But nothing pacific on what LEDs to get so on.
Anyone on the forums have Brighten and Gotten a more blood red look out of the cluster gauge, i too would like to know how and if any how-to's was wrote up.
Thanks Everyone.
lol your the person this thread was made for
:hug

·
Registered
15 Posts
yeah i also seen a few how~to's there as well for the Climate bud..

Now for my dash.. i did what i was told on the LED for the dash, its ok looking.. but not the dark red i was tryn to get. it might be these cheap LED's. Also now when i go to dim the dash it doesn't much effect it.
I'm gonna go buy some better ones this coming weekend and see if thats the issue.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Br0ken said:
yeah i also seen a few how~to's there as well for the Climate bud..

Now for my dash.. i did what i was told on the LED for the dash, its ok looking.. but not the dark red i was tryn to get. it might be these cheap LED's. Also now when i go to dim the dash it doesn't much effect it.
I'm gonna go buy some better ones this coming weekend and see if thats the issue.

did you sand the back of the gauges ?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts