Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been finding alot of web boards for people that collect pre-90's Hondas lately. It actually seems like it would be a pretty cool thing to do! You have people with old S600s and late 70's civics. Kinda interesting.

Anyway... This would lead me to believe that a few people out there are doing "collector Honda Speculation". Kinda like a guy who goes out and buys the 1st 50th Anniversary Mustang that rolls off the assembly line and just parks it in his garage for 25 years to sell it.

I noticed that a few people are starting to "collect" early 90's Hondas... My Prelude's VIN# ends in 000068... This means that it is the 68th one to roll off the assembly line in 1993 for the 1994 Model year (which just so happens to be the fastest year produced, 2nd year with VTEC, 1st year with the EL Dash, 1st year with leather). This also means that it could very well be one of the 1st 10 Prelude VTEC's Produced that year... may even be within the 1st 5... or better yet... it may be the 1ST ONE!

Now... in collector terms, this would mean that I have a #'s matching 1994 Prelude VTEC, within the 1st 10 produced, in the fastest production year, with 83,000 original miles.

If I could find a collector that would buy it for $13,500-15,000 I would drop it like a molten hot turd and go pick up an 01-02 S2K... I paid $13,500 6 years ago for it... Could be worth a considerable amount someday and I would feel like shit modding the hell out of it knowing that...

Anyone think that this idea will take off? I mean... people are collecting old Hondas/Toyotas/Nissans already. Who is to say that there will never be a collector Honda market...

~Peace

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
your prelude has no history as a awesome car, everyone knows what a mustang is. now a type r would be worth something but a car that you see someone driving down the road in every day like a 4th gen prelude pretty much worth shit in a collector car market cause no one collects them.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A group I found collects 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Gen Preludes... Didn't it win the car and driver sport coupe contest in 94? Wasn't it at the dawn of the U.S VTEC age? I'd say that mine would be worth more than any other ones in my condition... It could be the 1st VTEC prelude to roll off the line that year! It's 68th overall...

There's alot of "classic" muscle cars out there that I wouldn't really say are "awesome cars"... The Prelude was Honda's sports car until the S2K came out...

Would you say that this restored 81 Accord hatch is an "awesome car" with a cool history? I wouldn't... People are still collecting it though...

~Peace

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
there was a thread on this at one time. i suppose that only time will tell, i for one think that if you take good care of your lude one day it will be a collecters car and you'll be glad you didn't sell it.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's the thing... I am going to NIU next year and even though the car will be garage kept there, I know that it's going to take a beating around campus. If it is #1 off the line in 1993 for the '94 model year with low mileage, I would feel like shit treating her like that.

Now, I have about $8K coming my way from selling my '70 Cutlass already... If I could find a collector/Speculator that found that my car would appreciate in value... Maybe he'd give me $10K-$13K for it. It books at $6,000, but it's low mileage and in good shape. Having the #68 off the line Vin# would only help value.

What I'm confused about... is that if I COULD get $10K for it, and $8K for the Cutlass, I would have $18,000 sitting in the bank til I'm done with school in 2 years. Then at that point I could drop it on a gold check certified 2005 S2000 and have a warrantied TRUE sports car...

It's tough though because I've owned it for 6 years already and it was my first car... kinda sentimental about her. Shouldn't think about cars that way... just a machine...

~Peace

P.S. -- I have ALL the stock parts... intake, header, radio... I could revert it back to stock and nobody would ever know the difference...

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
BlackShLude said:
your prelude has no history as a awesome car, everyone knows what a mustang is. now a type r would be worth something but a car that you see someone driving down the road in every day like a 4th gen prelude pretty much worth shit in a collector car market cause no one collects them.
Mustang also has about 50 years of history. And being that it's native to this country, it gets a lot of publicity. Prelude has about 26 years of history, and they weren't as common as mustangs. Not to mention 20 years ago no one was driving a 1st or 2nd Gen prelude and thinking "man, I'm going to keep this forever!"

Mustang had that "something" because it was in movies, it was a muscle car, and they got publicity, people wanted them.

How many pre 1960 Mustangs do you see rolling around? Therefore, it's "collectible"

Not saying by any means that a prelude could become a collectible, but it's certainly possible that another 20 years down the line it could become something to look at in a car show as a "classic".

Basically it just depends how many are left around in good condition, IMO.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well... got confirmation from Honda that it is #68 off the line that year but they can't verify which # VTEC Prelude it is... have to contact Honda Japan.

I figure that if it IS Like... 1-10 of the VTEC Preludes produced that year I'll just throw it under a car cover... doesn't cost much to insure it if i'm not driving it. Already go the OK from the fiance to keep it under a cover in the garage next to my '05 S2000 that I'll be getting 2nd year out of college...

I'm never gonna get a sufficient amount of money back so I might as well keep it. I'll decide what I want to do to it sooner or later. If anything else, I'll be able to keep it in pieces while I work on it because I'll have the S2K in the summer and a 4 Door Civic LX in the winter... haha

I was just using a mustang as an example. My collectible is the wrong word. Classic for sure though...

~Peace

·
Registered
286 Posts
I know it's been said about a million times, but its worth what someone will pay for it, you know?
I have a thing for the 1st gen luda's just because I guess they are so quirky, anyone whose ever been in one knows what I mean. I would def. spend the money if I had it, on a nice condition 1st gen, if it was stock or restored N.O.S., but thats because I happen to like the car.
So I guess If you can find someone who believes your car will be a good investment, or happens to have a "thing" for 4gen VTEC's you may be able to sell it for more than its worth, as an example, I live in a town that seems to love DSM's. My bro sold his busted ass '95 GST w/ a crankwalking motor, electrical problem, leaky ass roof and more problems galore, that ran a high 13 one single time, for 8,500 cuz it had a T28 and the person happend to be into DSM's, the car never ran again, but it was worth it to someone.
Good luck whatever you decide to do.

·
Registered
571 Posts
muscle cars

hondas or late model imports in general will never be collector cars per se -- there is a market for them and they hold there valve like no other cars on the road but they will depreciate and unlike a 30 year old muscle car there is not enough old timers with a wod of cash out there to make them apprciate like barrett jacksonson cars.. (old charger and challenger hemis sell for 150 thousand)

the prelude is a great car no doubt about it the 4th gen made car and drivers ten best list every year it was produced but I have seen guys with over 10-20 grand in their ludes selling them on ebay for 5 - 7 grand so that is not a great return on investment ... do it cause you love the car and like the hobby --- cause what is worth 10 bucks to you is not worth 10 bucks to another person...

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alright... well, just so you guys know the Prelude is probably getting crated up for at least 2 years. I'm going to NIU and I'm not subjecting my car to that kind of abuse.

When I graduate, my present to myself is going to be an '05 gold check certified low mileage S2000 (Silverstone Silver/red and black interior or black/black interior).

At that point, having a new summer car to drive, I'll be able to do whatever I want with the Prelude. If that means keeping it in storage for 20 years... cool. If that means tearing apart the motor and building a N/A monster... also cool. I can't see selling the car either way... It's worth alot more than $6K to me, and I can't justify selling it. Worst case scenario, it just sits in the corner of my garage until I figure out what I'm going to do...

So... I guess we'll just see what happens. Less than 4 months to drive her, then I get to get behind the wheel of a bad ass '96 Dodge Dakota... hahaha.

~Peace

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
VTIR said:
For your car to increase in value keep in stock condition for about 50years :D
When it goes into storage it will be. Have every stock part still.

A car is consider an "antique" at 25 years right?

~Peace

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.