Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Guys,

I'm seriously thinking about purchasing a 93 del sol as a second vehicle. I've got the vehicle on hold for me, and I've driven it and seen it in person. Aside from some small door dings here and there, the car looks great. All stock, owned by an older gentleman for its entire life. The interior looks good, nothing is torn up, and there's just normal wear and tear on the vinyl.

It has 123k miles on it, and drives well for the most part. The one thing that I noticed that I didn't like was that the idle would lope at stops from 900 to 500 and then back again. At times going low enough that I thought it was going to die. When driving there were times that the engine would bog down and then surge again, almost like something was clogged and then cleared up. I was thinking something in the emission system-AF, plugs, wires, FF or something to that effect. They told me that the engine was pressure washed a couple hours prior to my getting there and that the distributor might have gotten wet and could be causing the problem. I didn't take the vehicle that night because I wanted them to make sure there were no problems with the vehicle before I purchased it. They drove it again the next day and said they didn't have the same occurances I did, that it was probably just the moisture in the distributor. SO we'll see when I take it out again on Thursday.

One thing everyone is warning me about though is the leaking in the roof seals? How much of an issue is this going to be? If the roof does leak is it worth even buying the car? I've read a little about it and most people are adjusting windows, using spray on silicone every couple weeks, and tightening some bolts somewhere every couple months or so (???). Is it possible to actually fix the seals once and for all or is this the trade off for a hard-top convertable?

Thanks for the input. Your advice will help me make an educated decision on buying this car.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
vankuen said:
Guys,

I'm seriously thinking about purchasing a 93 del sol as a second vehicle. I've got the vehicle on hold for me, and I've driven it and seen it in person. Aside from some small door dings here and there, the car looks great. All stock, owned by an older gentleman for its entire life. The interior looks good, nothing is torn up, and there's just normal wear and tear on the vinyl.

It has 123k miles on it, and drives well for the most part. The one thing that I noticed that I didn't like was that the idle would lope at stops from 900 to 500 and then back again. At times going low enough that I thought it was going to die. When driving there were times that the engine would bog down and then surge again, almost like something was clogged and then cleared up. I was thinking something in the emission system-AF, plugs, wires, FF or something to that effect. They told me that the engine was pressure washed a couple hours prior to my getting there and that the distributor might have gotten wet and could be causing the problem. I didn't take the vehicle that night because I wanted them to make sure there were no problems with the vehicle before I purchased it. They drove it again the next day and said they didn't have the same occurances I did, that it was probably just the moisture in the distributor. SO we'll see when I take it out again on Thursday.

One thing everyone is warning me about though is the leaking in the roof seals? How much of an issue is this going to be? If the roof does leak is it worth even buying the car? I've read a little about it and most people are adjusting windows, using spray on silicone every couple weeks, and tightening some bolts somewhere every couple months or so (???). Is it possible to actually fix the seals once and for all or is this the trade off for a hard-top convertable?

Thanks for the input. Your advice will help me make an educated decision on buying this car.
:number1 for considering a del sol! you sound like a very mature and reasonable individual who is doing the right research, so I will attempt to respond in such a manner. one thing that caught my attention, is that it has been owned by an older gentleman its entire life. the car has probably been taken good care of, hardly ever driven, and driven well. that is to say not abused, wrecked, or driven hard. old people are typically honest and would give you a good deal. these all are excellent factors that reflect the condition of the car. but to double check, a carfax is not a bad idea. it is $30, and you get unlimited reports for a month. i've had the experience of using it once, and it is very useful and detailed if you suspect anything out of the ordinary or are further curious about the vehicle. honda did do something about the roof seals in the later model del sols, so the 93s are the leakiest. in the words of an owner(myself) of a 93, the leaks are no problem. it almost never leaks. the only places i have noticed it are from the targa top, a small drip on the driver side, and even more rarely on the passenger side. if you were to sit in the seat, it would drip right on your left leg, near your kneecap. again, this is only rarely and under heavy rain conditions. also, i've never done any re-sealing or siliconing of the seals, or tightening of any bolts, or adjusting any windows. if it does leak, i'd say it is still worth buying. but that depends on how much this gentleman is asking for. try taking a garden hose and just spraying down the targa top for awhile and then open up the car and check for any wet spots on the seat or on the floor. or just take it through a carwash. you *could* take it to a honda dealer and have them seal it up for you if its that bad. on a further note, when you do take it out again thursday, that idle problem should have gone away. how much is this guy asking for? you shouldnt be paying more than something close to 3, or 3200.

in conclusion, the leaks should not be a problem nor compromise buying the vehicle. how much is this guy asking for?

lastly, open the trunk and flip up the carboard hiding the spare tire/jack tools. this is a good place to check for rust and water leaks. over 13 years, it may have rusted a little bit and there may be a little bit of water. this isnt really a big deal, just something to checkout.

let us know how it goes, and if you have any other questions we are happy to help! :hug

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well thank you for the information. To address some of your questions and advice; I've already performed a carfax, that was the first thing that I had done. It concurred that there have been nothing bad in the history of the vehicle, and that there has been only 1 title request back in 93.

I'm actually buying this car from a Porsche dealership! The older gentleman (around 60ish) traded it in on a 100k car. And you're correct on the price--it was 3279.79 OTD (including tax/title/license/doc fees and so forth).

I was thinking about taking it to a firestone down the street to do a check up on the vehicle. They would charge me 20 bucks for an overall visual check, and a check of all the fluids, brakes, and so forth. But I believe the dealership I'm buying from would have already done such a thing. They stated they already did a "safety inspection." They said I could do a full diagnostic that would run me a total of 100 dollars, which would include the 20 dollar check as well for free. I'm thinking about doing that when I take the car out for a while.

But based on your ownership of the same vehicle year and model (this one is an SI) the whole leaking top shouldn't pose a huge problem. I just hope the engine doesn't do what it was doing the first time around. If it does...do you think it is anything serious? I would think something like that would be emissions. Are these cars known for anything like this? Thanks again....

-Van

OH! pre-detailing pics:

·
Registered
36 Posts
HmMmMmmm..... seems pretty expensive for a 93 with over 123,000 miles on it.
the del sol I bought is a 94 with 72,000 miles.. excellent condition, garage kept and kbb said it was only worth about 3500 completely stock

the 93 with those miles and body is prob around 2800 or something. check www.kbb.com and just make sure

id offer the dealership 2800 to haggle and if they dont take it, id step to 2900-2950(tax, title, liscense, everything) as a final offer and they usually say no deal, and u say, call me if you change your mind, and they always call back and you get it for your price.. you gotta haggle these ppl

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's odd that you say that. The KBB for this vehicle retail is like 4465 in excellent condition. This car externally has a couple of dings, a mm of rust just under the fuel door, and that's about it. I haven't looked under the seats or anything for any more rust.

The price for a private sale is 2940 in good condition (which is where this vehicle falls under this catagory) NOT including TTL.

So I'd say they are pretty spot on with the pricing. Besides that do you think they would accept it if I lowballed em even though we've unofficially agreed to the OTD price?

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
vankuen said:
It's odd that you say that. The KBB for this vehicle retail is like 4465 in excellent condition. This car externally has a couple of dings, a mm of rust just under the fuel door, and that's about it. I haven't looked under the seats or anything for any more rust.

The price for a private sale is 2940 in good condition (which is where this vehicle falls under this catagory) NOT including TTL.

So I'd say they are pretty spot on with the pricing. Besides that do you think they would accept it if I lowballed em even though we've unofficially agreed to the OTD price?
IMO you should just stick with what you already agreed to. if you wanted to lowball them the opportunity has already passed. and besides, youre going to pay more at a dealer anyways. and that price includes tax, etc. mine was 3 at a dealer with about the same mileage, and i mean MINT condition-no scratches/dings/rust/mech. problems...but 128k miles, and we offered 3 including tax-etc and they took it.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
god everytime i see one i want one, i want a damn captiva blue del sol

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well...the car looked waaay better in person believe it or not. They washed it, shined everything up on the inside and out. If I get it, the 2-3 dings I'm going to pop out, and the mm of rust I'm going to sand and touch up myself. That takes car of the minor cosmetic flaws.

The only thing is the searching idle, which from what I understand now is a pretty common thing in a lot of these cars, that can be attributed to a number of minor things. Typically a small adjustment will do the trick.

So it looks like I'll be taking a look closer at the seals themselves, at the various parts of the car (like inside the trunk). It's been raining for a while so maybe I'll be able to see some water accumulation when I go back to see it. It's about an hour's drive from me.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
awesome man, yeah check out all of the seals, and my trunk leaks a little bit so check that out too :number1

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's a done deal!

The vehicle is officially mine. I picked it up this morning and it's now sitting in front of my home. I found all the service paperwork, through its life until last year. There was no rust on the vehicle in any of the known trouble spots--or anywhere for that matter. It drove without any noticeable problems on the way home--80mph for about an hour and a half. Great car so far and I'm happy that I purchased it.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
+1 rep for a new sol driver! :number1

·
Registered
406 Posts
seems like tons of people are getting new del sols lately,
welcome buddy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts