Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
1,174 Posts
So I'm pretty much a craigslist whore...lol :rolleyes, and saw this on there a few minutes ago.
92 Ford Probe
Wondering if anyone has any experience with these cars or what they think about this one? Thanks <3 :)
Ford got one thing right. They circled their mistake...

I've owned 2 fords to date. A tempo and a focus. Both of them were the most bullshit cars I ever owned.
I like how it has "extra gauges" and a "red hood" those seem like some hardcore mods.

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, I'm not a HUGE Ford fan either, but my cousin had a Probe for a little while and it was a fun little car, kinda quick too. But does anyone have any experience with this car specifically? Not all cars are the same so =P Any help would be nice cause he does still have it but I wanna make sure I don't buy a complete piece that's gonna break down on me. He said the only issue it has is a minor shake with the 17" rims on it, which I'm guessing(but not positive) just means they need to be balanced. Thanks. <3

· Registered
496 Posts
fuck ford. my boy had an anal probe and it sucked asshole, slow as shit for a v6 and only gave him problems, radiator went out, cooling fan relay and wiring, gas gauge. everything is shitty

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Personally, I like how the look. I'm a really big fan of hatchback styles like that. Has anyone here ever owned one though? Went and looked at it and the body is pretty much mint. And it does have a newer engine in it. My cousin had one with around 120k on it that ran fine, no problems, ended up sellin it for $2500. So not sure if these are different at all from other Ford's, but yea, let me know more please. Thanks.

· Registered
12,453 Posts
^^^ first off, the newbies in the above posts did not know that the car is for all intents and purposes a Mazda MX6 based platform. Ford didnt really design this car. They designed the exterior body work and interior. As for the turbo 4's, not bad little cars. I've driven a few Probes, and liked them a lot actually. The GT v6 is where you'd want to go personally tho. The 4cyl models are slow as fuck.

Also AVOID auto trans's in thoes cars. The auto's had a tendency to leak as they got older. 5spds are solid bet tho.

My freind had a 97 GT with a JDM KLZE swap and that fucker went pretty good. A good solid handling platform with a good suspension, upgraded brakes.

I'd keep looking for a GT if I were you, but if the turbo 4 and the 1st gen body is more your thing, then go for it?

· Registered
496 Posts
like i said my boy had a older probe, auto trans, v6 but not gt. and it sucked, his dad had the same, but in manual. ran better but still slow as shit. i have only heard of problems comin from them, but every car is different

· Registered
12,453 Posts
like i said my boy had a older probe, auto trans, v6 but not gt. and it sucked, his dad had the same, but in manual. ran better but still slow as shit. i have only heard of problems comin from them, but every car is different
It would have to be a GT, the v6 never came in any car but the GT trim. As I said, the auto trans is garbage, I'll agree with you there, but Probes get a pretty undeserved bad rep from a lot of people. A GT is about as quick (stock) as a GSR, granted not lightning quick, but they got a little nuts. And the 4cyl's while efficient, easier to work on, and cheaper, are gutless.

Trust me, I am FAR from a ford man, but I'm ok with these cars because there not fords and they hold up pretty well, there often overlooked cars.

Tho the name "probe" dosent help it any:hehe

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The 4 is the mx-6 engine, the 6 isn't. I talked to my engines teacher today about the car, he said they aren't bad little cars and shit can go wrong like any other car, but he never saw repetitive problems with Probes specifically and he was a mechanic for 25+yrs. So it doesn't seem like a bad car to me so far. Open to all opinions though =D

p.s. According to my teacher the older Probes actually had 2 bolts to hold on a Ford emblem on the head, and under it was Mazda xD

· Registered
12,453 Posts
The 4 is the mx-6 engine, the 6 isn't. I talked to my engines teacher today about the car, he said they aren't bad little cars and shit can go wrong like any other car, but he never saw repetitive problems with Probes specifically and he was a mechanic for 25+yrs. So it doesn't seem like a bad car to me so far. Open to all opinions though =D

p.s. According to my teacher the older Probes actually had 2 bolts to hold on a Ford emblem on the head, and under it was Mazda xD

I think your teacher is wrong on that v6. The v6 in the gt is de tuned KLZE, that has some usdm name.

· Registered
478 Posts
I will agree that the only thing that ford could have done is make it worse. If you want a MX-6 then get one. Though In my opinion you shouldn't buy any Mazda with pistons.

· Registered
61 Posts
I have owned 2, a 1993 GT automatic and a 1997 GT 5sp with more mods than this page has room for. They are one of the most timeless looking cars on the road but I must admit, expect to pay for some repairs and parts for them are becoming increasingly more rare, especially the GT's.

The best part, they are worth nothing so you can buy whatever you want for next to nothing.

The worst part, they are worth nothing...

Z

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.