Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay.. so heres the problem:

When i go to start my car and i have less than a 1/4 tank of gas, but at least 2-3 gallons left in it... it doesnt want to turn over. The first turn of the key makes it sound like its going to start, then it just dies after a second. The second time i do it, it takes a good two seconds for the starter to turn the car over... (2 REAl seconds.. which is awhile for a starter).

For some reason i have a feeling that the exhaust may be at fault. i have an AEM intake, DC header, but a crappy axel back exhaust that has taken away from my low end. I'm wondering if the crappy exhaust is messing up my car from starting correctly.

Most of the time when this happens and i go to the gas station i have at least 2-3 gallons of gas in there. I dont normally run it too low, but im a poor college kid.. so sometimes i gotta squeeze every drop for what its worth.

Any ideas on what the problem might be? Anything i can do to test out different possibilities?

· Registered
1,142 Posts
this happens to me too... here's somethign i found that usually works... when you stick your key in, don't turn it all the way to start the engine... turn it so that your electricals are on (i think it's the II position... the one after accesory power) and THEN turn it to engine start. let the battery power things up for a sec first :) i usually wait for the beeps from not having my seat belt on stop...

btw, anyone know if there's a fuse i can pull or something to stop the seat belt warning beeps?? or maybe even the beeps from opening the door with the key in the column on the accesory power position?

· Registered
334 Posts
anfrey said:
this happens to me too... here's somethign i found that usually works... when you stick your key in, don't turn it all the way to start the engine... turn it so that your electricals are on (i think it's the II position... the one after accesory power) and THEN turn it to engine start. let the battery power things up for a sec first :) i usually wait for the beeps from not having my seat belt on stop...

btw, anyone know if there's a fuse i can pull or something to stop the seat belt warning beeps?? or maybe even the beeps from opening the door with the key in the column on the accesory power position?

This is a good recommendation. What happens is when you turn on the power you fuel pump runs for a few second to prime the motor for start....if you wait until it primes then start it you may have more success starting on your first attempt......for safety sake you may want to run some fuel injection cleaner.

And as for the fuse.....I have no clue....maybe you should just wear your seatbelt?

· Registered
1,142 Posts
i do wear my seat belt... i just don't put it on until i'm ready going to drive. . . i like to let my engine warm up for a minute or so before i take off and i don't want to be strapped down while i just sit there and chill. . . it just really annoys me to have to hear it.

onemanarmy... thanks for the info, i'll get a hold of em

· Registered
334 Posts
no problem...yeah those bells are annoying as all hell.

if you leave your door open when you start it they usually turn off quicker...go figure.....and as for warming up your car......honda does not recommend that.

Don't ask me why....it says that in the manuel and I talked to one of the mechs when I got my tune up and he said something about the block material or something I don't know, I have A.D.D. he lost my attention at..."well I am told..."

So yeah...it's your call and all but honda's don't like to idle to long.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.