Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got this car a month ago (99 civic EX) and after driving it for 2 weeks i went out to drive on a very cold morning and it wouldn't idle correctly (oh yeah Check Engine Light was on when i bought it, dealer said they checked it out and that it was nothing ... me=DUMBA$$) i figured it was just a problem with the cold start so i didn't worry about it too much. Well now (2 weeks later) I still have this problem however it now happens at all starts (as long as the car has been sitting for longer than 5 hours)and when i put it into gear it rocks back and forth when i drive for a little while and then bam! it catches and the car runs fine. However today when i started it up and was going to drive (with the usual stutter of driving for about 10 secs when i first put into gear) it did the the stutter way worse and the check engine light start blinking (what does that mean???) not knowing what it meant and realizing that it was really bad now, i immediately parked the car and borrowed a friends car to get to work.

I've taken the car to the Honda dealership and to a friend (well really a friend of a friend) whose a mechanic. The honda dealership told me that it was the Fuel Pressure Regulator and my friend told me that 99% of the time its not the fuel pressure regulator and that all i should do is run BG44K through a full tank of 91 octane gas. So i am about 1/4 of the way through the tank of BG44K and 91 octane gas and obviously its not helping unless the way it helps is by making it worse.

So i was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with a problem such as this and can offer me some assistance? ANY advice is wonderful because i am at a lost as to what to do?

the car is a 99 civic ex with 107k miles on it and i am not sure about what has been replaced and what hasn't

·
Registered
20,101 Posts
Take it back to the dealer and tell them to suck your dick if they won't fix it. That piece of shit sales man that told you the MIL was nuthing just owned you big time. That light will never come on for nuthing, it may come on for something that is no big deal but you should have told him no deal until they fixed it. Never buy a car with no warranty from a dealer, trust me I used to be a used car tech for a dealer and they didn't want to fix anything on non warranty cars. I wish A salesman would try some shit like that with me I would go the fuck off on him. I hate when they do that shit.
I would bug the fuck out of them and ask to speak to the general manager about it.
How many miles are on it?
Check the simple things first like plugs, wires, cap, rotor.
I would tell them the least they could do is tell you what code it is throwing, then you can go from there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My car is a 5 speed. I actually called the dealership and told them that they should fix it since they sold it to me that way. The manager got an attitude with me and told me that i signed an "As-Is" agreement and that their was nothing he could do about it. I hate that dealership!! :bash Don't ever buy a car from Mike Shaw in Colorado Springs. Thanks for the help!!

P.S: Autozone will tell you what code its throwing for free right?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks flyingtoaster feels good to be here. Sorry about all the grammatical errors in my first post. I'm just a little pissed at this whole situation and wrote it down without even looking at it.

·
Registered
20,101 Posts
Did you talk to the genral manager? I would find out there name and call then ask for them, then tell them what happend and how you are very pissed off that the salesman told you that there was nuthing wrong with the car when in fact there was, I would throw some stuff in there two like he rushed you in your test drive and you didn't get to drive the car as long as you wanted to before buying it. That fucker lied to you now you play his game, trust me if you play your cards right they will fix it, I seen people do it, and my mom is the shit at getting stuff for free when someone fucks up, thats where I learned it from lol.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When the car idles for any more than about 1 minute after start up, it starts to do the same thing as if i had put it into gear. Also when i push in the gas it seems like it does nothing until i let off the gas, which at that point the RPMs go up and the car accelarates a little. So the problem occurs whether i allow the car to warm up or not.

·
Registered
33,541 Posts
that sucks, sales probably sold it before it had a used car saftey done, the salesman at my last job did that shit all the time, pissed us techs off, cause we made bank on the safteys

·
Registered
882 Posts
ATISTANG said:
Did you talk to the genral manager? I would find out there name and call then ask for them, then tell them what happend and how you are very pissed off that the salesman told you that there was nuthing wrong with the car when in fact there was, I would throw some stuff in there two like he rushed you in your test drive and you didn't get to drive the car as long as you wanted to before buying it. That fucker lied to you now you play his game, trust me if you play your cards right they will fix it, I seen people do it, and my mom is the shit at getting stuff for free when someone fucks up, thats where I learned it from lol.

could it be because shes a female?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just got back from Autozone and the diagnosis is a tune-up with spark plugs, wires, and distributor cap. I pulled six codes at Autozone 4 were cylinder misfires (cylinder 1,3 and 4 were misfiring and a general cylinder misfire code) and the other two were fuel related, one being a lean fuel mixture. Thanks for all your guys helps

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just finished puting in the plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor and also changed the oil. When i started it up the car to warm it up, so i could check the oil to see if it was at a good level and the engine started rocking as if it was not getting enough fuel. The car does run smoother now after the intilial cold start up. So it looks as if i'm back at square one again. I am planning on testing to see if the idle is still weird when i cold start it tommorw and also reset the check engine light. So if no rough idle and the check engine light doesn't come back on ... then looks like i fixed problem. Anybody got any ideas of what it could be now?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have not used any seafoam since i have bought it. I've heard great things about it from reading around on here. Where can i find it? and how do i use it?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The car is running better now, however i still have the problem of when i start the car up if i let it sit it idles really rough and comes close to dying. This problem doesn't last all the time, it only lasts until the car warms up. I also failed to mention before that after warm up when i am driving the car it performs worst when i put the pedal to the floor than if i put it about 2 inches from the floor(kind of a slight sputtering feel when to the floor). The spark plugs also had signs of a lean fuel mixture on them. The dealership, like i said in a previous post, told me that it was the fuel pressure regulator. So my question is should i go ahead and order myself a fuel pressure regulator or reset my check engine light, wait for it to come back on again and get it rechecked to see if anything has changed? Any advice would be appreciated ... and thanks for all the help!!!

P.S: Planning on picking up Sea-Foam and a fuel filter tommorow to install since i have no classes. Does anyone have a link to how to use Sea-Foam correctly? because i have had no experience with the stuff. Or is the sea-foam pretty self-explanatory by reading the directions?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.