Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had a problem with the cooling fans running continuously when the car is turned off (Honda Accord 2000, EX V6)?

In March I started to notice that my fan was running for excessively long periods of time, after the car was turned off. Then, one morning I woke up and my battery was dead. After getting a new battery and having that die on me too, I took my car into the Honda dealership and they switched the relays or something. This would supposedly cure the problem. Next, my a/c stopped working properly (hit or miss) and then my battery died AGAIN. Took the car back and had them tell me they couldn't find anything wrong. I refused to accept that and the service manager drove the car home for the night. The next morning when he got up, the battery was dead! They finally concluded that one of the relay's was bad. They switched out the relay and the problem seemed to be fixed. Well, 5 1/2 months later, my car is BACK in the shop because the fan is running constantly and the battery was dead again!!

Please let me know if you have experienced any similar problems. I am so sick of this car and ready to tell Honda where they can stick it.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Sorry to hear about that and welcome to the forums. I've never had that problem before, I was actually wondering why our cars fans don't stay on after the car is turned off, almost all the other Acuras and some of the older gen Accords have this feature. Hopefully someone here has the solution for your problem.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Temperature senor is malfunctioning in ugagirlie's car. Liquid_X, I have noticed the same thing, but then again, those Hondas have I4 engines.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Liquid_X, Mugen makes a different temperature sensor switch that triggers the fan at a lower temperature, 80 something F instead of the stock 90 something F.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. They say my car is "fixed" now. They said the relays were bad and they put new ones in. I thought that is what they did last time, but who knows?! Let's see how long they last this time....

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
the accord v6 has 2 fans. i think one of them runs constantly while dirving and the temp is warm. the other one turns on when the temp needs to be regulated.

it is most likely your relay like they said. if one is messed up it will keep the fan on. i dont think that on our cars any of the fan should be on after our car is shut off.

also you might want to cantact other service manager in your local area and ask to see if they have encountered similar problems.

·
Registered
90 Posts
i've had my 6th gen for 3 and a half years and that's only happened to me once. the fan stayed on for about 1 minute after switching the car off. i think it stayed on cos i was driving it hard that day and it was summer.
my parent's V70 Cross Country does it constantly as well but stays on for about 3-5 minutes. but i think thats normal bcos their car is turbo-charged.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Well, my friends 3.2TL-P the older gens, anyways his fans always stays on after his car is shut off, my cousin's and my uncle's Vigor also did the same, and my cousins I4 5th gen Accord also stays on after the car is turned off, oh well...who knows.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had that problem, check to see if you have enough fluid and check to see if your reserve tank cap is on tight, that was what was wrong with my mine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts