Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently purchased a 90 teg (b18b) with a fucked up motor

can anyone tell me what the prob might be

the car feels like it is running on 3 cylinders (kinda studdery)
blowing a lot of smoke
no abnormal noises

i know this is the wrong forum but this will be posted in a few dif forums

btw the car cost me 350 and body is in great shape

·
Registered
17 Posts
check the plugs. i had the exact same symptoms when there's no gasket on the spark plug. felt spuddery and weak. get back to me after

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Could be MANY things with the symptoms you've listed.
Things like (but not limited to):
cracked block
blown head gasket
bad injector
bad piston rings
bad plug/wire
loose plug
intake leak
Check all plugs/wires, oil and antifreeze quality/quantity, perform a compression test, and let us know what you find.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Bluish smoke=Oil being burned( Rings, or cracked oil passages.)

White smoke=Engine coolant being burned(Check for cracks in head or block, possible head gasket)

Black smoke=Un burned fuel (Check fuel system) and a spark plug not ignigting the fuel can cause the unburrned fuel

·
Registered
9,111 Posts
ryanplayjoint said:
Bluish smoke=Oil being burned( Rings, or cracked oil passages.)

White smoke=Engine coolant being burned(Check for cracks in head or block, possible head gasket)

Black smoke=Un burned fuel (Check fuel system) and a spark plug not ignigting the fuel can cause the unburrned fuel

not gospel but that is usually true......

·
Registered
292 Posts
Definately depends on smoke, If it feels like its running like 3 cylinders, i'd imagin you have a good size leak somewhere .... could always run soap around valve cover gasket and head gasket and start engine when cold and see if there are any bubbles. You could have an extreme loss of compression. Spark Plugs would be good to replace anyways. Check for a leak ....if no bubbles in soap i'd take it in and have it diagnosed. Please list the color smoke though. It will help a lot.
-Michael

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well.......the first day i ran it the smoke was black.....but now it doesnt smoke UNLESS i let the car idle for a while (5 min or more)then go....the smoke then is white..BUT the car runs at normal op temp..and im not getting low on coolant....so idk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts