Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 2 months ago I purchased Brembo cross drilled rotors along with Aem pads for my ITR. I did the whole proper break in procedure and drove the car around in stop and go traffic noticing that they didn't brake as well as the stock system did. But I was told it had to brake in and the rotors might have some oil's left on it (when they ship them) and it would take time to break in. So I proceeded to drive the car normally in stop and go traffic anxiously waiting for the day I could take em out on an autocross. So to make a long story short I was on the highway and wanted to test it out a bit so I broke fairly hard they broke okay but still not what I hoped for then I started driving again and I needed to get off on an exit so I stomped on it again and my steering wheel started shaking. I was like they can't be already warped from just that. So I checked the rotors and saw that the front two rotors had what looked like black hot spots arond the middle of the whole rotor. The rears were fine. Now I spent alot of money on what was supposed to be the best rotors on the market and this happens. Any one have some info on what it could be? Could swapping the left and right rotors incorrectly cause this? Or do I possibly have some bad rotors from the manufacturer? Any input would be greatly aprreciated. Thanks!:confused:

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Hope you didn't buy one of the Brembo blanks that somebody drilled and re-sold as originally cross drilled from Brembo...:eek:

Check the holes carefully for cracking.

BTW: Your front rotors apply the majority of the braking force needed to stop your car. If the fronts are warpped, then it could be they just got hotter then the rears under the conditions UR driving under.

As for the AEM pads, they're made by Nissin a well known brake mfg in Japan, so I'd tend to think the pads are not at fault.

Hope things work out.;)

·
Registered
109 Posts
The stock ITR calipers would be better than the crapy OEM parts. As for the rotors, gota make sure that they are genuine, second is that the brembro brakes are bigger and dosent nesesarily mean you will stop better faster in normal everyday driving. They are made to COOL faster and help you BRAKE that extra bit faster in hard braking situations. Id buy the whole brambro package with everything in it.

·
Registered
956 Posts
You won't notice much difference from everyday driving just like how other members have said. They do cool faster because they are slotted and drilled. You will notice a pretty large difference from 100-60 on your setup vs. the stock setup.

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
I don't think they're slotted, that's why I'm sispicious of them being actually drilled from the factory.:eek:

·
Banned
79 Posts
are you sure you install them right ? thers one way
when you put it on where it stop 's something like stalk
but if you flip it around the other way it grips hard!!

make sure your rotor the line is pointed this way / <-- not \

try that .. excuse me for my gammer i'm drunk xD

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I ordered them directly from Brembo. But like I said they are acting like they are warped. Just the other day I tried no more than two hard highway stops and sure enough they started vibrating like a mother. I mean horribly. My stock rotors were waaaaay better and did not vibrate until alot of hard stops. Well I checked the vanes on the inside of the rotor and they are definitely not directional. Unless I hit some water one day when the rotors were hot and they warped. Oh well I guess you just can't beat OEM sometimes. Thanks for the advice guys. Also xintegrasirg they are only cross drilled not slotted.:D

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
All Motor Speed said:
Well I ordered them directly from Brembo. But like I said they are acting like they are warped. Just the other day I tried no more than two hard highway stops and sure enough they started vibrating like a mother. I mean horribly. My stock rotors were waaaaay better and did not vibrate until alot of hard stops. Well I checked the vanes on the inside of the rotor and they are definitely not directional. Unless I hit some water one day when the rotors were hot and they warped. Oh well I guess you just can't beat OEM sometimes. Thanks for the advice guys. Also xintegrasirg they are only cross drilled not slotted.:D
If they are installed on the correct sides, then you didn't season them or bed in the pads correctly PERIOD.

Following is a link about the warped rotor myth:
http://stoptech.com/whitepapers/warped_rotors_myth.htm

And how to season new rotors:
http://www.baer.com/Support/TechTips.aspx?TechTipID=4

And how to bed in New or Used:
http://www.baer.com/Support/TechTips.aspx?TechTipID=5

This illustrates proper rotor direction for slotted, dimpled and crossdrilled rotors:
http://www.baer.com/Support/TechTips.aspx?TechTipID=2

Good luck.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I just posted this up on a different thread but.. I have a great feeling brakes with no headaches...
"I have axxis ultimates pads, ATE blue fluid and SS lines and for the street is plenty. On the track I have no complaints very good for the price, I know that I could spend a ton more money and get better but... money hasn't grown on trees here yet"

I have had a few track days and still have the stock rotors with only one resurfacing at 23k miles, I now have 45k miles.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, the instructions on the Brembo website were different. I guess the only way too truly know is try the way Baer says which is not all that easy. Well either way looks like I need to purchase some new front rotors.....Ouch............:cry: Thanks for the help guys!:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts