Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, it's done, but now for the finishing touches so I can paint it... My hatch has 90-93 integra tail lights now, black widow rear, kombat sides, and soon I will put the front dam in. I need some help now though. My friend who was the body guy passed away and now I'm left with not much of a clue on what to do. I need help!!! I can do most everything it's just getting a plan of action.

First- I need to get my body kits looking smooth and nice. There are some bumps where the fiberglass looks to be bending a bit on the sideskirts. Is there any way to heat it up possibly to relax it and make it form to the body?

Second- The tail lights have about 1/2 inch gaps all the way around...I was told I could use a mig welder and just keep making beads...anyone else have any ideas?? Exhaust comes in my cabin right now and it SUCKS!!

Third- Shaving my body molding.... Just bondo? A lot of bondo? or do I have to use a metal filler of some sort? or fiberglass filler? I have no idea about this stuff. I also need names of the materials I need and possibly an "Easiest plan" to finish my car.

So all you body dudes out there, PM me, reply to this message or email me at [email protected]
Thanks!!

Jordan

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump....bump bump bump bump....bump....

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wop!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bump

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bump dammit bump....someone help!

·
Registered
13,201 Posts
First things first...
My friend who was the body guy passed away and now I'm left with not much of a clue on what to do.
Sorry about your loss..

These are mostly assumptions nothing for sure, so don't try it without first properly researching my information...
Okay lets see...

First- I need to get my body kits looking smooth and nice. There are some bumps where the fiberglass looks to be bending a bit on the sideskirts. Is there any way to heat it up possibly to relax it and make it form to the body?
I've heard of poeple actually buying some sort of fiberglass and putting it over your kit, heating it and in a sense "molding" it onto your kit making it smooth. You could try heating it up, but I don't know how hot you'd want to get it as you might damage something. I'm not exactly sure but I've also read about "fiberglass filler" it occured to me could you place something similar to that over a small part and leting it dry and sanding it down just a little bit and then repainting the piece.

Edit** Realized you might have meant your bodykit is bending and looking funny, for this I have no idea on how to bend it back to it's correct place other than to try heating it or even placing more screw/tape trying to hold it in place so that maybe it'll stay in that position.

Second- The tail lights have about 1/2 inch gaps all the way around...I was told I could use a mig welder and just keep making beads...anyone else have any ideas?? Exhaust comes in my cabin right now and it SUCKS!!
I don't know what you mean by mig welder and making "beads" mean, but when I read that I just assume you could get bondo or some kind of filling and place it all around the tail lights filling in the gap, but being very careful that you don't attach your tails onto the car. smooth it out by sanding and then painting it then you would have an area ready for your tails. Or weld on metal until you got a good fit, but that would seem like a lot of guess/check and just work in general.

Third- Shaving my body molding.... Just bondo? A lot of bondo? or do I have to use a metal filler of some sort? or fiberglass filler? I have no idea about this stuff. I also need names of the materials I need and possibly an "Easiest plan" to finish my car.
There are several ways I've heard of this being done, one way in which you just mentioned is to take off the molding and then placing bondo in there and shaving it done so that its even with the door. However, I've had freinds do that and then even after the bondo dries a hard hit would create a hole from which the mold use to fit into the door. The best that I've personally seen was when a guy took off his door panels and welding a hard thin piece of metal behind the door so that from the outside you would see metal covering the hole. Then after that you can mold it in with the proper material such as bondo. After, sand it down good, smooth it all in, and then paint you're good to go.

Good luck,
Jason

1 - 6 of 6 Posts