Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
klungemonger said:
So was the crank mangled on that journal also, I assume?
the crank doesn't look *too* bad, no major abrasions that appear out of the norm, but i haven't checked it thouroughly either.

my dumbass got the ridge reamer stuck together so i spent 2 hours trying to get it back apart, and by the time i got the pistons out and bagged up, it was dark and i was ready to call it a night.

as a precaution though, i've got a good crank on a line here in KC for cheap, just have to wait until friday when i get paid to pick it up

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
klungemonger said:
Maybe if you're fortunate it will just need a good micropolish or something instead of turning it. That would probably cost more than an LS crank is worth.
that's what i'm hoping for. but if this other crank doesn't get sold by friday, only paying $20 for it, so not a big loss.

going out to take the bag off the block, be back in awhile with some fresh picks of the crank, see what you all think :p

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
alright, definitely not a lack of pictures :lol

hard to discern what's what to me though, the last pic is of the journal from rod #1, all the rest are the journal from rod #4

and the comparison shots:

it's definitely scored pretty bad. very very rough. probably a good idea to get the other crank now

·
Registered
817 Posts
IISaiNtII said:

got the rest of the valvetrain removed, with the exception of the valve guides. click image for fullsize pic... intake valves looked pretty good to me, exhaust valves had ALOT of buildup.

after i got everything bagged, tagged, and tucked away, i went outside for a cigarette. . . found two large slugs on our front step that have been crawling around for a couple weeks. i hate slugs, so i salted the piss out of them :lol

once again click for fullsize :D

+1 for the oversalted slugs, I used to do that all the time.

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
was going to give an update, but the photohost is being a pita right now...

maybe later i guess :(

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
alright, got 'em up finally after several tries....

first, got another crank that's in good condition:

will most likely have it balanced and micropolished

2nd:

golden eagle vacuum manifold. not really a neccessity but couldn't pass up on it.

and 3rd:

damn near immaculate turbo

·
Registered
687 Posts
tortis said:
$25 is pretty close to free in my book!
ya man lucky you! $25 is like the tax on your free motor. good luck with the build

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
kommon_sense said:
Is that a t3?
yes sir, it is.

t3 .42 a/r intake side

very small turbo, i know, but i basically got all 3 of these parts for the price of the crank.... definitely a turbo that's better suited for a d16/d15 imho.

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
well, now that i know some of the specs of this turbo, think i'm going to re-sell it. not going to be near enough umph for what i'm wanting. much better suited for a d series turbo setup. i should have had the original turbo i bought for $10 rebuilt like i originally planned. oh well. hindsight is always 20/20.

anywho, if anyone is interested in a cheap turbo, lmk.

the current plans are for tunertoys h-beam rods, micropolish and balancing crank, upgraded valvetrain, undecided on the pistons as of yet.

all seals, gaskets, and bearings are being replaced as well. not going to take any chances with them .... assuming the block is even in worth condition.

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
just picked up some NIB tunertoys rods for $75 off retail. :D

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
IISaiNtII said:
just picked up some NIB tunertoys rods for $75 off retail. :D
DAMN good deal, mang!

Quick question.
Did your engine happen to have the harness on it? I can't get this thing off for the life of me!

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Jo060 said:
DAMN good deal, mang!

Quick question.
Did your engine happen to have the harness on it? I can't get this thing off for the life of me!
no, it sure didn't. what are you having troubles with?

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Jo060 said:
the part thats behind the intake Mani. and the block it's self. It has that plastic shell protector around it.
yea, that piece is a pita. much easier with the engine out of the car if it's not already. think there's only 1 bolt holding it in... maybe two. can't remember exactly :eek:

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
IISaiNtII said:
yea, that piece is a pita. much easier with the engine out of the car if it's not already. think there's only 1 bolt holding it in... maybe two. can't remember exactly :eek:

Yeah, the engine is out of the car. I have the manifold and all off. It's basically a naked block with the engine harness hanging off it lol. I've been working around it this entire time because I can't get the bitch off! :mad

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
IISaiNtII said:
yes sir, it is.

t3 .42 a/r intake side

very small turbo, i know, but i basically got all 3 of these parts for the price of the crank.... definitely a turbo that's better suited for a d16/d15 imho.
IIRC, that turbo is good until about 250whp, so it should make for a very fun setup.

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
kommon_sense said:
IIRC, that turbo is good until about 250whp, so it should make for a very fun setup.
mostly what i'm worried about is it hitting full spool too early and dropping off quickly.

but, it from a 2.0L saab (or volvo... can't recall which), so perhaps not. i may give it a try just to get the build done if it doesn't sell before then. i've got a ssacrap manifold to bolt it to and give it a whirl :p

i really wanted something closer to a 60-trim turbo or the super-60, but like i said, i couldn't pass this one up.

21 - 40 of 84 Posts