Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i finally got the wiring done today. Filled her with oil. Waited for the planets to become alighned.(we get a red moon tonight) I inserted the key and waited for the check engine light to go off as usual. She turned over a few times then BAM she lit up. Man that was the sweetest sound ive heard in a while. Ill post again when i get her on the road tomorrow. Now i get to own most weak ass civics around here. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i got her on the road today. She pulls freekin hard. Gotta get a new upper radiator hose the old one has a puncture and the radiator cant hold pressure plus its spewing out coolant. First impression though is she feels fuckin fast!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,616 Posts
It's nice to know that yours is working. I am seriously considering the DOHC zc swap for my 91 civic DX hatch. I am just waiting for the right motor to come along.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,101 Posts
djcaseanova said:
It's nice to know that yours is working. I am seriously considering the DOHC zc swap for my 91 civic DX hatch. I am just waiting for the right motor to come along.

why not t3h b-series?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,616 Posts
don't want to pay that much money for the motor itself. I am not too fond of B series engines anyway. I've also got of yuppies around here who have all forked over money to get a b series installed for them, and I want something different to install myself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,101 Posts
djcaseanova said:
don't want to pay that much money for the motor itself. I am not too fond of B series engines anyway. I've also got of yuppies around here who have all forked over money to get a b series installed for them, and I want something different to install myself.

i see, well you can pick up a b-series engine for pretty cheap, hell b18a's can be had for $500 or so if you look around, ZC's are nice its just that all the good performance parts must be ordered directly from japan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea you can get b series engines kinda cheap. but what about the 5 bills for the mounts too. not to mention the conversion harness. I am in no way a good electrican . but with patience and research converting the dx/std harness to the zc is pretty simple.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,616 Posts
yeah i too don't like the idea of dropping an extra $300+ for the transmission alone on a B series motor. I am looking at the ZC for the ease of install mostly. Do you know what valve covers will fit the ZC?? Any DOHC valve cover?? Just curious.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,101 Posts
9d1civhtch said:
yea you can get b series engines kinda cheap. but what about the 5 bills for the mounts too. not to mention the conversion harness. I am in no way a good electrican . but with patience and research converting the dx/std harness to the zc is pretty simple.

for a b18a the conversion harness would be the same as the DX to ZC harness, yeah you will need a mount kit but w/ a b18a you get more torque......torque is t3h fun
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,101 Posts
djcaseanova said:
yeah i too don't like the idea of dropping an extra $300+ for the transmission alone on a B series motor. I am looking at the ZC for the ease of install mostly. Do you know what valve covers will fit the ZC?? Any DOHC valve cover?? Just curious.

only VC's that will fit it are other ZC VC's and 86-89 integra VC's, $550 would be w/ a tranny b, b's are just as easy to install as a ZC, only difference is a mount kit and you need to hammer the spot on the frame rail for the alternator pulley to clear
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
I've been doing my swap on my 91 si hatch for the past few days. I got my engine from Passwordjdm.com, and it was dirty as fuck! Five cans of degreaser and two days later the block and tranny look...better. They still look like ass so I think I'ma paint them with some high temp engine paint. They sent me the 88 model and my Exedy clutch and ACT flywheel has 20 splines for the 90-91 model. Its been a real headache so far. I've ordered ACTs 88 crx clutch upgrade, its 212mm disk like the 90-91. I paid 65 bucks to have it shipped overnight, so hopefully it'll be here tomorrow. What are some of the most common problems with the ZC swap? I just hope this bitch fires right up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,101 Posts
Smokinjs420 said:
I've been doing my swap on my 91 si hatch for the past few days. I got my engine from Passwordjdm.com, and it was dirty as fuck! Five cans of degreaser and two days later the block and tranny look...better. They still look like ass so I think I'ma paint them with some high temp engine paint. They sent me the 88 model and my Exedy clutch and ACT flywheel has 20 splines for the 90-91 model. Its been a real headache so far. I've ordered ACTs 88 crx clutch upgrade, its 212mm disk like the 90-91. I paid 65 bucks to have it shipped overnight, so hopefully it'll be here tomorrow. What are some of the most common problems with the ZC swap? I just hope this bitch fires right up.

really there are no swap problems involved w/ doing a ZC swap as long as you have an Si or Hf, if you have a DX you will have to do the wiring conversion
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How much did you pay for this zc? Mine was 723bux shipped to louisiana from hmotorsonline.com. You could have eaten off of it it was that clean. You shouldnt have any problems past the clutch. I would reccomend the 88-89 integra ecu though. The zc ecu is best but it cuts off at 112mph and nobody wants that. Dont forget to plug or t-into the middle vaccuum line coming off the intake manifold. She should fire right up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
my friend has a 88 Si and wants to do a Zc we were at a shop killing time and he said out of no were how much would u guys charge for swapping in a ZC including everything they said around 2k.. is that reasonable.. or should he stop being lazy and do it himself?:eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,101 Posts
WIKKEDV15 said:
my friend has a 88 Si and wants to do a Zc we were at a shop killing time and he said out of no were how much would u guys charge for swapping in a ZC including everything they said around 2k.. is that reasonable.. or should he stop being lazy and do it himself?:eek:

that is totally unreasonable IMO, tell him to do it himself
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
thanks if he did it himself and possible me helping him how long would it take
were both swapping virgins :cry: but experienced enough to do it..
total cost? of the guy who already did it ?
how much did it come out total?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,101 Posts
WIKKEDV15 said:
thanks if he did it himself and possible me helping him how long would it take
were both swapping virgins :cry: but experienced enough to do it..
total cost? of the guy who already did it ?
how much did it come out total?

its a really straightforward swap especially since he has an Si, it would literally be a direct changeover?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Well I finished removing everything from the d16a6 today with the exception of the fucking Shift linkage pin, that bastard will not come out. Anyone have any suggestions? Also how long does it take to put the ZC in and wire everything up?
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top