Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The zc is bolted in. That d15 did not want to leave its home. Plan on turning the zc over in the next couple of days. Clutch, axles everything bolted right up. It looks awesome in the engine bay. So what do you guys think should i Paint the civdog wrx blue or srt-4 yellow? I want a really loud color. Saw a guy on tv the other day who had that road cone orange color. It looked freekin awesome but i think im leaning towards wrx blue.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
What clutch, pressure plate, fly wheel did you use?? I am trying to replace all of those on my DOHC ZC and am having a hard time finding some. Do they all come together or sold seperately??

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You need to use the flywheel that came with the zc.(if ive followed your posts right you got the tranny as well?) if its the auto tranny the flywheel bolts will be too short and be stamped AT.(i dont know if the at flywheel is different tho) you can use the d15 flywheel which is what i did. this is the exact clutch i got it is for all 90-91 and fit perfectly. notice this is the complete kit. this and the flywheel and your set. You got the ecu or started wiring yet?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33730&item=2444325686

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
I got the dohc zc with the 5sp tranny... the flywheel looks a bit rusty, which is why i wanted to replace it. I have an 91 si ecu, didn't want the JDM zc ecu, and haven't gotten a 89 integra ecu yet, don't know if i will, but we'll see. I have only done a DX dpfi to MPFI wiring conversion as far as wiring goes (this was left over from previous d15b2 engine). I am using the DX harness. I plan on putting the turbo on the ZC also that I have been getting parts for. You think that clutch kit will work??? Thanks for your info!!!! You're the only one I know who's done this swap "successfully" in such a short period of time.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey man if your going turbo yea get the lightened flywheel and at least stage one clutch. the zc with a turbo is gonna make insane tq. plus the light flywheel will reduce lag.think your gonna want teh integ ecu. the si cuts the party too early for the zc.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
so basically I am looking for a 91 civic clutch/flywheel right? My problem is trying to figure out what years and make/model clutch to get that will fit the ZC engine. I was looking at the ACT, but those are DAMN expensive, recommend any other good ones???

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
so for the flywheel i use a 91 civic.. or anything with the 20 7/8 spline count correct? i am assuming that I would use a 91 civic clutch and pressure plate too right??? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea use the same clutch as the flywheel year. 90-91 oh yea have you had a chance to compare the flywheels? you could weigh both maybe one is lighter already? can u post pics of the engine?

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Alrighty, thanks for the help....

these are the only pics i have of the engine thus far this is untouched practically, i did remove the manifolds, plugs, etc etc. it didn't come with an altenator as it was supposed to.

On the last picture, that is the grubbiest part of the engine. Aside from the exhuast manifold ports!!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yikes aftermarket oil cap. hope some ricer didnt have this one. put engine degreaser and a good hose to the dirty parts(not teh ports tho lol). sorry bout the dist. the d15 one should fit. mine came with distrib and ps pump. did it come with the 4-2-1 exhaust mani? mine did but the d15 one bolts right up save you from paying the exhaust monkeez. oh yea your going turbo. can we get some pics of the kit. BTW greddies d series turbo kit was originally desighned for the zc!

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
i put the oil cap on because the one that came with it was broken. i also took the distributor cap off because it too had a crack. I have two si distributors and two extra si manifolds lying around also for throttle body parts as the TPS was broken during shipping, and such. it did come wit hthe 4-2-1 design, as a matter of fact im trying to get rid of the stock ZC manifold now, will be listing it on ebay tomorrow or so, along with a stainless steel header i bought for the D15, which i no longer need due to my putting a turbo on. i will get pics of the kit i have thus far... intercooler to come in next week as with a bov.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
damn im drinking again when i said distributor earlier i meant altenator. all 3 on mine were good(dist alt and ps pump) all that i wouldve really had to change was the spark plug wires, plugs. my tps came unscrewed and intact.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Can you check out these items and tell me if they would work... they say for B series, but it does say for 90-91 civics with cable transmissions... if these will work, which would be better? Probably the 6 disc right?

link 1

link 2

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sorry man neither of those will work. our tranny isnt cable. you need to get a racing clutch for a 91 crx si. yea and 6 puck ones are bad ass but kinda harsh on the daily drive im sure.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
actually i just found something out about the ZC transmission anyway.... i'd have to replace axles to use the ZC transmission accourding to hybrid website.

The Si transmission is the best choice available. Both the Si and DX transmission bolts right up and keeps the install simple. The DX transmission will sacrifice performance for better fuel mileage and lower freeway rpms. The ZC tranmission has a close ratio 1-5th gear, but a long final drive, making the best transmission still the US Si. For the ultimate acceleration make a Si/ZC hybrid transmission, by taking the Si final drive and put it in the ZC transmission. Or you can do it the other way around, ZC 1-5 in a Si transmission case. Either way, expect 80mph to turn 4300 rpms. However, the ZC transmission requires you to use ZC or 90-91 Integra axles, and a ZC or 86-89 Integra intermediate shaft. Because these axles are equal length, many users report a reduction in torque steer. DX/Si axles won't work for the ZC transmission.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
djcaseanova said:
The Si transmission is the best choice available. Both the Si and DX transmission bolts right up and keeps the install simple. The DX transmission will sacrifice performance for better fuel mileage and lower freeway rpms. The ZC tranmission has a close ratio 1-5th gear, but a long final drive, making the best transmission still the US Si. For the ultimate acceleration make a Si/ZC hybrid transmission, by taking the Si final drive and put it in the ZC transmission. Or you can do it the other way around, ZC 1-5 in a Si transmission case. Either way, expect 80mph to turn 4300 rpms. However, the ZC transmission requires you to use ZC or 90-91 Integra axles, and a ZC or 86-89 Integra intermediate shaft. Because these axles are equal length, many users report a reduction in torque steer. DX/Si axles won't work for the ZC transmission.
Argh!! I found a full thread on this very discussion on another forum. Here is yet another discouraging qoute....

"You'll need new Knuckles as well. the Si or integra axles won't fit in yours, the splines are too big."

If I recall, you kept your original tranny? I believe to be a DX, how is it holding up with your ZC?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
man i aint even got the dx. i got the 4 speed from the std. holding up well so far. except for that whole 3rd gear outa the powerband thang. still gets the stylish chirp into second tho.:D

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
haha well, then i don't feel soooo bad. It will definitely save me the trouble of removing the axles though. But you say I need the clutch still for the 90-91 si, every forum and swap guide says that the pre-92 transmissions are cables. 92+ are hydros.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts