Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do you all think if i upgrade to projectors, though i don't have HID will it still look good? your opinion and pics of cars with/without HID projectors

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Yeah I think those look pretty good, then you should get some eyelids then I think they will look even better.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
shop around first and see if you can locate a set of projectors made by Denji. i'm not sure if Denji actually makes projectors for the '99-'00 civics, but try your hardest to find those. Denji's actually have a slight rainbow effect at certain angles which make them look remarkably similar to 4300K HID units (though not quite as "white").

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
yeah same here. projectors do give you a drastically different beam pattern from your stock headlamps, which is why a lot of people don't like them. they really don't reduce output, they just concentrate most of the output in a specific range, whereas the stock units tend to just spill light everywhere within a given distance.

the regular H3 bulbs that come with the projectors should be fine, but i also run Raybrig R1000s, so it's not like output is a big deal for me!

·
Registered
504 Posts
that one civic said:
yeah same here. projectors do give you a drastically different beam pattern from your stock headlamps, which is why a lot of people don't like them. they really don't reduce output, they just concentrate most of the output in a specific range, whereas the stock units tend to just spill light everywhere within a given distance.

the regular H3 bulbs that come with the projectors should be fine, but i also run Raybrig R1000s, so it's not like output is a big deal for me!
Do you mean they will concentrate(sp) the beam onto the road? Because thats what I need, I hit a crap it had to be a 6-9 foot peice of gutter type stuff on my way home from work. I never saw it and I have 2 100w zenon driving lights and 80w/100w zenon head lights. But then thats florida there is alway some weird shit in the road(I almost hit a sofa the other day no lie!)
I am about to get some Hella 6" driving lights I think for of them would do.LOL

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
the beam pattern is a little difficult to explain, but i'll try.

with the stock headlamps, light seems to be spilled all over a specific area, there really is no one single area where light is really concentrated well. think kinda like a floodlight, it just illuminates a wide area, but doesn't really highlight anything specific within that area.

illumination on the road is fairly good, and it's decent to the sides. at the very edge of the illumination, there is a taper effect as the light is slowly cut off. range is at about 6 car lengths or so (never actually measured it now that i think about it), and illumination is pretty constant throughout that range.

with the projectors, light is concentrated on one specific spot on the road directly in front. where that spot is depends on how the lamps are aimed, but almost all of the light hits that one spot (which is pretty large, it's not like you only see one little dot on the road). apart from that spot, illumination is pretty poor in certain areas compared to the stock lamps. the light goes straight out in this range, hitting anything on the road, but not really hitting the road itself (aside from the aforementioned "spot).

this leads to what i call a slight "halo effect", as everything on the road around you is illuminated very well by the projectors, but the road itself isn't hit so well. the very edge of the light has a sharp cut-off, which takes some getting used to when you first see it (watching that cut-off as i went up and down hills actually made me nauseous the first few times). the end result is that you get a lot of illumination on one spot, and on everything around you, but illumination to the "corners" isn't so great. if you have a good set of foglights (i recommend Raybrig R1000s!), this isn't a big deal at all. even if you don't though, the illumination is really good, it's just a lot different looking from your stocks.

hope that helped, like i said, it's really hard to describe. i can try to take some pictures, and see how those come out. you'll have to give me a couple days though, cause i have to remember how to access my web page!

·
Registered
3 Posts
DO NOT GET PROJECTORS!
They are horrible...
1. way too dim
2. do not fit well
3. just look rice...

I had them on my 00 SiR sold them and picked up some type R
headlights and couldn't be happier...paint your stock ones or just
get oem type R's...do things right the 1st time and save yourself
money and time.