Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I'm probably going to be buying a 2L B18C1(sleeved and bored to 84.5mm) to drop into my LS soon. How should I break the engine in? I have an AEM EMS and was thinking of getting it dyno tuned at the same time the swap is performed. Is that safe, I know you aren't supposed to rev that high on a new engine but wouldn't it be safer than driving an untuned car around? I think I'll pick up a wideband O2 kit by the time I get the engine, hopefully. Should I obtain a P72 and run that while I break it in? Thanks

My Setup:
1996 B18C1
GE Sleeves bored to 84.5mm
Endyn Rollerwave 9.2:1
Eagle Rods
ARP Head Studs
New Oil Pump, Water Pump, gaskets, etc...

6 hours of dyno tuning for my EMS or run a stock gsr ecu for the 1st 1k miles??

· Registered
351 Posts
Who built your motor? I know there are domestic engine builders that sell already broken in, already dyno-ed engines to provide the horse power that was promised. Ask the guy who built your engine, if he does it often, he should probably know.

· Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GunNam said:
Who built your motor? I know there are domestic engine builders that sell already broken in, already dyno-ed engines to provide the horse power that was promised. Ask the guy who built your engine, if he does it often, he should probably know.
Viren from VSRacing is going to build it, he is a very reputable engine builder and does not offer "breaking it in" services. The only place that does that, that I know of, is Import Builder. There are no horsepower promises, its being built for forced induction... I am going to need to break it in no matter what. Thanks for the reply!

· Registered
2,575 Posts
I would take it slow for a couple weeks...maybe a couple hundred miles, and no racing bro:)

...Than take it to get dynoed:)

Good Luck with your new setup. Post up the results when youre done, I'm very interested in what a 2.0 litre gs-r can do.

· Registered
2,575 Posts
Re: Hell yeah

BangNazzIntegra said:
2.0 litre gs-r, yeah like Jayman said tell us and show us how it turned out. I would love 2 see the end results:megaz:
Check it our bud...its not a gs-r but its a crv/gs-r 2.o motor. And look what it runs, 11sec car:D same as Skibbs, 84.5mm!!!

· Registered
351 Posts
I've heard that new engines should not use synthetic (from a mustang man) because you need to allow the gaskets to sit and seal probably, and synthetic won't let it, or will take much longer, is there any truth to this?

I know the new bimmers say not to do the initial oil change for 10,000 miles, and I believe they use Synthetic.

Just a thought.

· Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
GunNam said:
I've heard that new engines should not use synthetic (from a mustang man) because you need to allow the gaskets to sit and seal probably, and synthetic won't let it, or will take much longer, is there any truth to this?

I know the new bimmers say not to do the initial oil change for 10,000 miles, and I believe they use Synthetic.

Just a thought.
You're right, it is generally recommended to not use synthetic oils while you break in an engine. You should also change it frequently to get rid of all the metal particles from the machine work. I am interested in the tuning aspects of breaking in a highly modified engine, basically should I run a stock GSR ecu or should I get my EMS installed and tuned along with the engine?

· Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Re: Hell yeah

JAYMAN320 said:
Check it our bud...its not a gs-r but its a crv/gs-r 2.o motor. And look what it runs, 11sec car:D same as Skibbs, 84.5mm!!!
That is really fast! I had been planning on going turbo because with a B18B SCs are pretty lame, but now that I'm going to get a B18C1 I think a JRSC would be perfect for what I want.. Auto-x looks really appealing to me, more so than drag racing. Thanks for posting the sweet dyno Jayman, that made up my mind about a 2L B18C1 - I'm gonna get me one of 'em! :D

· Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:( By the time I got ahold of Viren, he had already sold both GSR longblocks... I am still planning on a 2L Vtec in some form or another.

I'm looking into Import Builders
Package 2: Hydro LS/VTEC High Performance Changeover. 2 liters

"Comes with brand new axles, shift linkage, ECU, wire harness, stock mounts, complete motor. Tranny included.
This is a HIGH PERFORMANCE total rebuild package for those of you that are sick of getting used motors that don't last. This package includes Import Builders completely revamping the motor. New JE Forged Pistons 84 MM, new Eagle Rods, balanced crank, new bearings, new oil pump, new water pump, new timing belt, new alternator belt, new high performance valve train, new high performance cams, new adjustable cam gears, Mugen chipped ECU 9500 RPM rev limit OBD1, Fuel regulator, gauge, DC 4-1 JDM header, Iceman Intake, ITR intake manifold, new valve seals, new head gasket, new valve cover gasket, and new 6 puck Hyper clutch with new bearing."

EST: 195 HP-210 HP at the wheels before options.

I will get a 2L Vtec engine in some form or another :D !!!!! Those with CR/Vtecs or similar engines, what are your 1320 times NA? I'm trying to get an idea of how fast a 2L can be NA in a teg with full interior. Thanks!

· Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anybody? I'm still having trouble finding times... I'm leaning towards a 2L GSR, GSR tranny w/ LSD, and JRSC modded by Endyn for higher boost... That should easily put me into 12s with proper traction, I think, and remain a great daily driver....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.