Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading about all sorts of security ideas on this forum and all over the rest of the internet. I have seen some solid plans like a pager alarm with 1 or more kill switches to buy you enough time to show up and whoop on someone... Then I have seen the pros and cons of GPS and lojack first hand when I had my civic stolen. The problem was they stole it while I was asleep and by the time I woke up it was already in pieces :( So, odds are by the time I noticed it was stolen it was already too late.

Here is the point of my post... I am looking for some brain storming on making people look for easier targets when it comes to stealing cars. I have read a "success" story on a popular alarm/kill system website last night which made my brain hunt :( This guy came home to find his car broken in to where the thief could not start his car drive it off an did not have the means of towing it at the moment. Ok, at this point it sounds great... here is the hook... ALL of his locks were popped and/or damaged, his hood latch was all screwed up and they ripped up his the steering column/ignition. Sure he has his car where he parked it, but if it was spite or just trying everything this poor bastards ride is hosed :(

I know there is no way to stop someone from getting your car if they really want it since they will just tow it away... But what about preventing them from driving it away and ripping off your steering column and locks causing you untold damage since at that point they THINK they can just break the ignition and drive off?

At the moment my main defence is my urban camo paint job :) I have my civic in about 5 different colors and it looks like TOTAL garbage which makes theives not give it a 2nd glance, but it is my daily driver that gets 30ish+ MPG... yet the cops take notice and it sucks not being able to have a nice looking car because someone will come up and steal it from you. My civic was stock(had it less than 30days) with clean black paint and no damage/rust so they took everything from the hood and fenders all the way to the truck with my nice little factory spoiler :(

Sorry for the long winded post, but I have been thinking about this crap for months since my ride was stolen... So far the best people have told me was to buy a crappy american car to avoid this drama... I think with all the talented people on this forum someone must have some good ideas..

· Registered
10,346 Posts
Cheetah in the back seat, Gorilla up front, auto detonator if unauthorized entry

· Registered
10,346 Posts
Fuel cut, nice alarm, maybe some sort of shifter lock, idk. Best security is keep it in a garage if possible

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is my #1 beef with the 92-95 stuff... Even with full coverage like I have the way they value the car it is not really worth paying the bill. If you look at a stock civic with full coverage they will MAYBE give you 2 grand if your lucky if they call it totaled. You almost want them to steal your car just to make these insurance payments worth something.

Worse yet assume they do not total your car and you need to get your locks and ignition stuff fixed. You will have to pay most of the repairs in the form of a deductible and if you hit the junk yard and do it yourself it will be even cheap than the deductible in some cases (like when it happened to me)....

Now, lets assume you have theft with a low detectable and you get jacked before your insurance payments on the car is greater than the value of it... You get 3 claims before they want to drop your policy and your prices keep going up... crap is a lose lose situation :(

You can go the route of custom car insurance, you but you need to drop like 5~10grand into your car to up the value before they will consider you then you need to pay to get it appraised... just seems like a lot of BS drama to me :(

I LOVE my civic, but why do they make owning it so painful?

· Olde School Ricer
8,762 Posts
Progressive will let you insure it for what you have into it. It does cost more and they usually require the receipts. But this is a option.
Thats the best route you can go. Either that or park in in a garage, never drive it, and employ ninjas to watch it.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep... Garage it an never drive it seems to be the best bet... hell I'm worried about getting a nicer civic pillaged at a store parking lot or whatever it is just rough :(

What about minimizing the damages that can be done? So, lets say the ground rules for this exercise are that your car is disabled in such a way that they can not start it no matter what(They don't know this), we are going say they do not have the ability to tow it away and they do not have a death grudge against you.

At this point I'm thinking you could get rid of your door handles and locks to force them to smash your window if they want to get into the car. You could go with a remote door popper and the cost of replacing the glass is cheaper than the lock. Hell you could even go an replace the windows with some hardcore safety glass. I think that would cut down some cost of damaged on the first entry to your car.

I'm no car thief, but based on my experience it seems the place to attack is the steering column and ignition since a screw driver will get the car started or so they think... The steering column is just plastic with a huge gap around the blinker stick :( Anyone know about an after market steering column to protect this area? Something made of out of metal with less options to pry it open? If not I think there is a good market for a chastity belt like device that goes around that area of the steering column...

Unless I am way off base I'm thinking if we could solve these 2 main issue it might be the basis of a good protection system for these poor civics :)

· Registered
28 Posts
Yep... Garage it an never drive it seems to be the best bet... hell I'm worried about getting a nicer civic pillaged at a store parking lot or whatever it is just rough :(

What about minimizing the damages that can be done? So, lets say the ground rules for this exercise are that your car is disabled in such a way that they can not start it no matter what(They don't know this), we are going say they do not have the ability to tow it away and they do not have a death grudge against you.

At this point I'm thinking you could get rid of your door handles and locks to force them to smash your window if they want to get into the car. You could go with a remote door popper and the cost of replacing the glass is cheaper than the lock. Hell you could even go an replace the windows with some hardcore safety glass. I think that would cut down some cost of damaged on the first entry to your car.

I'm no car thief, but based on my experience it seems the place to attack is the steering column and ignition since a screw driver will get the car started or so they think... The steering column is just plastic with a huge gap around the blinker stick :( Anyone know about an after market steering column to protect this area? Something made of out of metal with less options to pry it open? If not I think there is a good market for a chastity belt like device that goes around that area of the steering column...

Unless I am way off base I'm thinking if we could solve these 2 main issue it might be the basis of a good protection system for these poor civics :)
the only things i can think of is tinted windows, it will be much harder 2 break the window in. it will just crumble. a car cover that can be rigged to be staked to the ground(if u park in the grass). and when in the driveway, park another car behind it that isnt so flashy so it will be impossible to get it out without moving that other car. and either buy a detachable steering wheel or rig one up from ur stock wheel. i havent done this. but u cant steal what u cant drive!

· Registered
1,174 Posts
This is still the best auto security system ever:

When activated and left on, it will engage if you attempt to lift or pull the car door handle. It was invented to prevent car-jackings while driving and while left parked away from you.

· Registered
974 Posts

^^Ruger P95DC Is all you need. This is one of 4 different guns that protect all my rides.

Ruger - P95DC 9mm
Ruger - P94DC .40
Mossberg - 500 Persuader (Folding Stock + 13 1/2 Barrel) 12 Gauge
SKS 7.62mm

I think the best protection for when you are not around to keep your car from getting stolen is a hidden kill switch to the fuel pump.

· Registered
1,174 Posts

^^Ruger P95DC Is all you need. This is one of 4 different guns that protect all my rides.

Ruger - P95DC 9mm
Ruger - P94DC .40
SKS 762mm

I think the best protection for when you are not around to keep your car from getting stolen is a hidden kill switch to the fuel pump.
But it's not going to shoot someone if you're not around.

· Registered
1,174 Posts

Ruger - P95DC 9mm
Ruger - P94DC .40
SKS 762mm

But it's not going to shoot someone if you're not around. And "persuader" is the coolest name I've ever heard for a shotgun.

· Registered
754 Posts
LOLZ My pitbull protects my ride, she doesn't let people touch the car or stop and stare or she goes nuts. I should have just bought an alarm and saved the money from trainers, Just to be safe my pit is very well trained and is a personal protection dog but also a Good citizen canine dog I haven't brought her to the children\ old folks home for awhile but thats her job.

· Registered
974 Posts
But it's not going to shoot someone if you're not around. And "persuader" is the coolest name I've ever heard for a shotgun.
LOL Thanks about the shotgun. Its for home protection too.

Thats why I also suggested putting in a Fuel Pump kill switch. Even if some one to break in and hot wire the car it will not start no matter how had they try unless they find the switch which I don't believe they will stick around long enough to find it.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm still thinking someone needs to come out with an after market steering column that is all metal... When those scums stole my civic they just broke the living shit out of my steering column and I needed to replace it all :( I lucked out and found a car in the junk yard that had a key in it and the same color interior, so I got the whole column and all the locks to do a full swap.
I'm thinking countless other will not be that lucky when trying to get everything repaired... Hell at one point I was thinking about removing the ignition and replacing it with a keypad somewhere... It just sucks that even if they don't drive away with it you need to fix all sorts of damages on the column :(

So moral of the story is I think we need some sick ass looking steering column mod that will make them look at the car and be like wtf...??? Then just move onto easier targets :)

· Registered
1,174 Posts
Lo-jack, remote kill switch.

Or put a recording in the car that activates if the lock is broken informing them that the police are on their way... even if it's a lie.

OR some system where if you don't have the car turned on or an actualy key sitting in the ignition after 1 minute, the front seat just explodes or something.:D

I still think the flamethrower would deter anyone. I don't think you'd be in the mood for GTA if you had 3rd degree burns and such...

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yea I like the recording idea... have some sexy voice come on "Break in detected, the GPS location of this vehicle have be sent to the local police dispatcher... Have a nice day" then maybe have it screw up and say "Electrical fire detected discharging Halon gas fire suppression system in 5 seconds" Then again your low rent local crack head might not know that the gas kills living things :(

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.