Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i wanna put a hard drive in my ps2 but i really dont wanna spend a lot of money for a sony hdd. is it possible to take the hard drive out of my old HP computer and plug it into the network adapter?

also... i have a memorex usb compact flash card reader. would that work with the ps2 or would it only harm it?

thanx!

·
Banned
3,307 Posts
you could...with a mod chip i'd imagine, but i'm not aware of any that can do it yet...wait till the hd is out

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
poop! well, by any chance do you know how much the hdd will cost? i just hope it isnt gonna cost an arm and a leg...... i need those to drive :p

·
Registered
629 Posts
Yep, I've heard $99 as well.

You *probably could* use another HDD but you'd have to get a driver for the PS2 to understand so you can use the HDD. It'd be a major PITA.

The driver info would come with the HDD. Also, they may have it so it only works on Sony model HDDs.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
shouldnt the ps2 be able to reformat the hdd? i know that when i bought my memory card a screen came up that said "memory card is unformatted. would you like to format now?"
i would think it would work the same way with an hdd. Has anyone on here actually tried it?

·
Registered
629 Posts
That would only work if the PS2 bios came with the HDD format info...

Most HDDs come with a 3.5" floppy. This one has it's own CD to install all the info on the HDD.

·
Registered
629 Posts
blackaccordlx said:
what is this HDD really gonna be used for... a replacement for the memory card? someone fill me in
MP3 style music storage (so you can select tracks during game play)

Faster access to games (save movies to hdd so it doesn't take as long to load?)

Game saves...

web browser...

can't remember what else.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts