Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ARGHHHhhh...!!! Never had a Playstation die on me so this is a new experience. My PS3 turns on, goes to the menu screen, but doesn't recognize a disc as being in it's tray.:(

Games don't automatically boot, and movies I don't even get the B-R icon under the selections for the video options.:(

Anybody else run into this problem? I plan on contacting Sony to see what they can do for me.:cry

· Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I presume you did the power switch in the back, unplug for 30 seconds thing to see if it will reset?
Yeah. I went beyond the normal means of just turning of the system via the controller.:( Checked all of the cords even if it wasn't a audio/video problom and I could navigate the menu with the controller OK.:eek:

I think my latest update was 2.56 or some such strange number like that.

· Registered
6,058 Posts
Boot into a demo or PSN game and see if it will show your game. My buddies did something similar. If not, I recommend backing up all your save data, and calling Sony. It'll cost you about 120 for a replacement.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
It was kinda common for a drive failure on the older ps3's. Do the above suggestions before contacting sony. What is the manufacturing date?

· Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Zip, nada, nothing!:(

Oh well... Nobunaga's Ambition: Iron Triangle for the PS2 will have to keep me busy for awhile.:(

I hope Sony's repair facility isn't too busy.:cry

· Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It'll more than likely be a replacement, not a repair. Back up your data.
Werd. I hear you. :tu

Speaking for the non-initiated I think that we don't really seperate the differences between a repair and replacement job. Anything that leads to a techie popping my PS3's lid = repair to me.:cry

As far as backing up my data is concerned: USB ftw!:w00tz

· Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just as a finish to this story...

It appeared to me that Sony doesn't really care what is wrong with my PS3. The service rep. said they'll just swap-n-switch parts w/o an evaluation of what might be the cause of the problem.

So the fee was basically a set sevice charge regardless of the problem. In my case it came out to $149.

I can see their POV. They probably just charged me an inflated "nusiance fee" to pad their costs and make up for the in-warranty PS3's they have to deal with.:(

· Registered
41,903 Posts
:lmao and people were saying ps3's were so much better than 360's with their red rings.

· Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:lmao and people were saying ps3's were so much better than 360's with their red rings.
The RRD is an endemic problem with the 360's that MS seems unwilling to fully address. I don't think me having a problem with my PS3 comes anywhere close to other having multiple 360's go down on them.

Just my $0.02 but PS3 > X360 when it comes to working lifespan.

· Registered
41,903 Posts
The RRD is an endemic problem with the 360's that MS seems unwilling to fully address. I don't think me having a problem with my PS3 comes anywhere close to other having multiple 360's go down on them.

Just my $0.02 but PS3 > X360 when it comes to working lifespan.
not to get off topic, but the red rings can mean many things from hardware failure, to the cable being partially unplugged.

The electronic will last as long as the person who uses it treats it right within reason. My first 360 is old as fuck and is still kicking.

· Registered
5,200 Posts
Yeah you gotta take care of your stuff but some times, you just get a bad apple or a lemon. 3 of my friends got the xbox and so far all 3 have gotten the red ring problem. 1 of them only played it for 3 times, when on vacation for 2 weeks, came back to his xbox and red rings.

But the PS3 also has their fair share of problems but it's mostly HD and the BR. Well i just bought my PS3 like a week ago with 2 year warranty just in case of random problems turning up.

· Registered
6,058 Posts
not to get off topic, but the red rings can mean many things from hardware failure, to the cable being partially unplugged.

The electronic will last as long as the person who uses it treats it right within reason. My first 360 is old as fuck and is still kicking.
Yea...no.

Your 360 =/= everyones. I've been through two. Traded in my 3rd system I got back from MS for a new one, fuck the old shit they kept on sending me well after the new chipset was out. Piece of shit company.

Fact is, there are simply things you cannot control. I baby my consoles and games, probably more than most...and it died twice. And I hardly ever played the damned thing.

· Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Considering Sony sent me a prepaid package to send in my PS3 and is sending my PS3 back via UPS 3 Day Select (13lbs @ Zone 4) the $150 doesn't seem so bad after all. :p

Just got to wait until Friday so I can start playing PS3 games again...:cry

· Registered
41,903 Posts
Yea...no.

Your 360 =/= everyones. I've been through two. Traded in my 3rd system I got back from MS for a new one, fuck the old shit they kept on sending me well after the new chipset was out. Piece of shit company.

Fact is, there are simply things you cannot control. I baby my consoles and games, probably more than most...and it died twice. And I hardly ever played the damned thing.
my elite died of power failure a few months after i got it. Got a new one and havent had any issues.

I guess my point is all electronics are going to fail, its only a matter of time how soon they fail. This just proves that ps3 is not the god of all that is electronic just ps3 fanboys like to spread all over the place.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.